Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Post New Comic Book Reader Who needs help!

What's up guys?! Long time super hero fan, I watch all the movies and for the most part like D.C. & Marvel. I have always been a biggger D.C. Fan tho! I want to start reading the justice league comics and want to know a good place to start with them? Some websites have said origins, some have said the new52. I need your help to decide which ones I should start with?! Thanks!

Spectacular Member

I'd hit the back issues. They are better quality and usually cheaper than what's out now. And it's the League. It's not like there's much that you wouldn't know as opposed to other team books. If you want to be original start at the second annual. It was the Detroit era. Many of the characters that were featured in that team are featured in the Arrowverse. I think the run is really underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Codyking13 View Post
    What's up guys?! Long time super hero fan, I watch all the movies and for the most part like D.C. & Marvel. I have always been a biggger D.C. Fan tho! I want to start reading the justice league comics and want to know a good place to start with them? Some websites have said origins, some have said the new52. I need your help to decide which ones I should start with?! Thanks!
    Hi! What are your favorite heroes? We might start from there

All-New Member

Hey! As basic as it sounds Batman and Superman. I'm into most of the heroes but those two are my top 2.

All-New Member

So they are call the Detroit Era?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Welcome! Love seeing comic book movie/media fans trying to dive deep into the comics.

I guess the question is whether you care more about being current, having something to read every month and being "up to date", or whether you just want to read the best stories out there.

I always recommend that new fans go after the classics featuring their favorite characters right away. These stories are guaranteed quality, introduces you to important aspects of the character, and lays the foundation for future stories in terms of character.

If you're interested in previous Justice League lineups, I think JLA: Year One is a great start. It's the story of Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, and Black Canary getting together to form the JLA while the trinity operate solo in the background. They learn about each other and their differences while learning to work together on a team.

Another easy option is Grant Morrison's JLA run (starting with Vol. 1). It reunited "the big 7" lineup and featured legacy characters Wally West and Kyle Rayner. It's an easy jumping on point and the adventures are pretty cool since Morrison loves science fiction concepts. It's a widely celebrated work that I enjoyed, even though I found the character moments lacking at times. It's basically the blueprint to the JL Animated Series episode plots.

Justice League Origin is good to read to understand the dynamics of the current lineup (minus Jessica), but a lot of fans were turned off by the generic plot and questionable characterization for some. And the fact that the league's history had been wiped out to make way for the New 52 wasn't popular among everyone, and this story didn't feel like it justified retelling the league's origin. But as I said, it does the job of telling you, for the most part, the dynamic of the League the last few years.

Apart from that, here are some classic Justice League stories:

Justice, by Alex Ross (An amazingly illustrated homage to the Silver Age and JL vs. Secret Society stories)
    New Frontier (paints the beginning of the JLA during the transitory emergence of the 60's out of the Cold War)
    Darkseid War (a satisfying New Gods centered story)
    Justice League International (A reshuffled Justice League that mixed veterans with new fan-favorite members; widely adored)
    Identity Crisis (A controversial and polarizing mystery plot full of character focus in the wake of tragedy that I personally love)

There are plenty more you could dig into and older eras to explore but I'll leave you with that. They're good reads on their own and either introduce you to the characters or thoroughly equip you with a sense of the history.

All-New Member

So D.C. WIKI says for new readers:
    JLA: New World order
    JLA: Year one
    JLA: a new beginning
    JLA: origin
    JLA: tornados past
    & kingdom come

Any of these good to start with??
    Last edited by Codyking13; 11-28-2017 at 10:31 PM.

All-New Member

Would any of these be worth it to start with?

Hey! As basic as it sounds Batman and Superman. I'm into most of the heroes but those two are my top 2.
    I'll recommend 3 absolute must-reads for both:

Superman
    All-Star Superman
    Birthright
    Kingdom Come (though a broader DC story)

Batman
    The Long Halloween
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Under The Red Hood

Would any of these be worth it to start with?
    From that list (as you can see from my posts), you can't go wrong with JLA: Year One and Kingdom Come. In that order too. Kingdom Come is like my favorite DC comic ever. It's incredible. You won't regret either purchase.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I'll recommend 3 absolute must-reads for both:

Superman
    All-Star Superman
    Birthright
    Kingdom Come (though a broader DC story)

Batman
    The Long Halloween
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Under The Red Hood
    I have a good knowledge on both heroes, would these be good for me? Thanks by the way!

I have a good knowledge on both heroes, would these be good for me? Thanks by the way!
    Yes. Also, Under the Hood has an AMAZING DC animated movie, if you want to watch it first.

Personally, my first Batman stories were Arkham Asylum: a serious house on serious earth (its a trip, I tell you) and The Killing Joke (that I consider overrated nowadays). N52 Snyder’s run is new reader friendly (imo).

Definitely!

Astonishing Member

Hello and welcome

First, depending on where you live, I'd say check your local library. Many of them have a pretty good comic collection.

Second, I second All-Star Superman. My favorite Superman story. Long Halloween is a really good Batman story, too. As for the JL, I quite like New Frontier and Kingdom Come.

Happy reading.

Hello! Nice to hear from you.

I became a fan from other media and then jumped to comics just like you. I am happy to help.

If you want to get into the current books and storylines, Rebirth is a good jumping on point. I started like that. Except for Batman. I read New 52's Batman. I think you can read from Rebirth too.

Before jumping in Rebirth, i checked some books which are somewhat free from tighter continuities. Some 'evergreen' books are a good way to start reading comics. Since, your favorite characters are Batman and Superman. A few good places to start.

Batman:
    Batman has a lot of good books to start.

Year One
    Long Halloween
    Dark Knight Returns

You can read New 52 run of Scott Snyder's Batman. Those are pretty good. I read that run after reading those books. I read some comics on and off after Dark Knight Trilogy ended. Most of them were Batman comics.

Based on Batman The Animated Series, Batman Adventures is really good.

Superman:

There are some really good books.

All Star Superman
    Kingdom Come
    Superman: Birthright
    Secret Identity (It is a different take, with Superman the only hero in the world)

Ha! I basically copied Bogotazo. But then these are some great books to start.

Superman Adventures which is based on the animated series is nice. Mark Millar's run here is among the best Superman runs in the last three decades and its a really good series overall.

I can't help with Justice League. Maybe starting with JLA of Grant Morrison is good. JL after Rebirth is kind of a mixed bag.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-28-2017 at 11:29 PM.