Default Batman in JUSTICE LEAGUE (spoilers!)

I didn't see a thread of reactions to Ben Affleck's Batman in the movie JUSTICE LEAGUE here in the Batverse forum. I saw that the Superverse forum and the Wonderverse forum each had one for the movie, just seems weird that this one doesn't have one.

If there is already one, my bad, and please merge.

I loved JUSTICE LEAGUE from a strictly Superman fan POV, but from a Batman fan POV, I have more mixed feelings.

I definitely prefer Ben's take this time around over his murderous DAWN OF JUSTICE's RageMan take. But this is kinda too much a 180 too soon.

What did you all think?

For one moment, I though that this was about... PRIEST JUSTICE LEAGUE... What a shame..

I thought Ben did a fine job with the role. Batman has got to be one of the easiest roles in Hollywood and he handled it well. He's not the best Batman I've seen but he's perfectly viable.

As for the character....I think the reversal from BvS was a hard road. He goes from being so paranoid he wants to kill Superman just on the potential threat Clark might one day prove to be......to surrounding himself with gods and superhumans and trusting them with his deepest secrets, including his identity and the location of his cave?

I believe that almost killing Clark, and then being forced to see what a terrible hero and hypocrite he had become, made Bruce change is ways. I like that (Super-philosophy for the win!) And it was nice to see the shadow of his past haunting Bruce in JL. But I feel like the movie moved too fast on Batman's character arc.

Beyond that quibble about pacing however, I thought Batman was fine in the movie.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's not Ben Affleck's fault but the Batman in JL was awful.

Ben Affleck COULD be great with the right script.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It's not Ben Affleck's fault but the Batman in JL was awful.

Ben Affleck COULD be great with the right script.
    Pretty much I want a good solo movie
    and that will be find with me
    mabey the the ensemble stuff is too much

Incredible Member

I thought Ben did fine in JL. The death of Superman most likely forced him to take a hard look at himself over what he had turned into and to change his ways (much like Batman did in the comics). The solo movie could more explore the change that the JL movie didn't have time to show (maybe make the Batman movie a little prequel to the JL movie).

And I thought the JL movie was good, don't know why it's getting such a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    And I thought the JL movie was good, don't know why it's getting such a bad rap.
    I think a lot of people wrote it off long before it was released. I know I did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    For one moment, I though that this was about... PRIEST JUSTICE LEAGUE... What a shame..
    Haha, I thought so too!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I thought he was great. His argument (and reconciliation) with Diana was the most satisfying moment of the movie for me, and his statement on Superman spoke so much truth about their ironic dissimilarity.

"He was more human than I am. He lived in this world. Fell in love, got a job. In spite of all that power."

He's at once praising Superman while realizing he's been closing himself off of human emotion himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I thought he was great. His argument (and reconciliation) with Diana was the most satisfying moment of the movie for me, and his statement on Superman spoke so much truth about their ironic dissimilarity.

"He was more human than I am. He lived in this world. Fell in love, got a job. In spite of all that power."

He's at once praising Superman while realizing he's been closing himself off of human emotion himself.
    Yes that's how I took it as well. It's like he secretly envies Clark for being able to do that.

I just don't care.

Every time I see DCEU related threads I keep getting that same feeling of apathy towards this universe.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post

I particularly liked the bit after Superman came back from the dead and was no longer in a fugue state, where Superman jokingly says "Well, I know you didn't bring me back because you like me."

And Batman genuinely sputters in response "I don't ... not (like you)".

That oddly endeared Batfleck to me (no small feat, considering I hated the DOJ version).