Default Making your own dialogue

I've been recently reading Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four run...and as per usual with silver age material started to tire of the tedious verboseness of it all. Then I remembered that back in those days, the Marvel way of constructing a comic was done by laying out all the artwork first, and then the dialogue afterwards. Once I switched over to allowing Kirby to tell the story and then imagining what I think the characters would be saying, it changed up the entire feel of the reading experience and made it much more enjoyable. It also made me appreciate Lee a lot more in times when I found it difficult to caption or construct something from Kirby's (often times) off the wall illustrations and direction.

After all, the artist was the prime story teller...it would be really interesting to see different takes on what is being depicted. For example, something as simple as cutting down on the excessive captions and allowing the artwork to speak for itself would help immensely with older material. Can you imagine how some of these stories might flow with more breathing room and a slightly more modern sensibility injected into the dialogue?

Which got me thinking...has there ever been attempts to re-do the dialogue of any of these older titles, officially or otherwise? Have you personally tried it or are there quality fan attempts floating around?
    Last edited by PLEDGE; 11-29-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    . Can you imagine how some of these stories might flow with more breathing room and a slightly more modern sensibility injected into the dialogue?
    What a cool idea! I know, sacrilege to some, but if you treat as an "elseworlds" or something, it'd be fun to read Amazing Spiderman by Tom King and Ditko or Fantastic Four by Jason Aarons and Kirby.

Interesting idea with the FF you would finally get rid of the panels insulting Susan.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Interesting idea with the FF you would finally get rid of the panels insulting Susan.
    As well as Karen Page and Jane Foster in Daredevil and Thor, respectively.

Deadpool #11(Vol. 1) saw Joe Kelly transport Deadpool into Amazing Spiderman #47(from 1966), with "hologram" technology that made him Peter Parker. Not exactly what you are talking about but a fun comic experiment in a similar vein.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumGrease View Post
    What a cool idea! I know, sacrilege to some, but if you treat as an "elseworlds" or something, it'd be fun to read Amazing Spiderman by Tom King and Ditko or Fantastic Four by Jason Aarons and Kirby.
    Yes exactly! There are clearly times when Lee and Kirby are at odds and the artwork doesn't really work with whatever direction Lee wants to take it in. Seeing someone else's take would be amazing.