Default Interview about Zatanna Mystik U

https://www.newsarama.com/37543-zata...-mystik-u.html

Zatanna with 18 years, similar age to Steph, Cass and Tim... Younger than Grayson and Barbara.... Maybe she is living in a fake reality(some spell) and she should escape from this..

However, the series look funny..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-29-2017 at 01:22 AM.

BANNED

I'm confused. She mentions the characters "learning to be magical" -- Did she de-age all of them or is this series set in the past?

Nonetheless looks like a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Elmo; 11-29-2017 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I'm confused. She mentions the characters "learning to be magical" -- Did she de-age all of them or is this series set in the past?

Nonetheless looks like a lot of fun.
    We saw one flashback of Zatanna and Bruce(both younger) in... Detective comics, no? Zatanna can not have 18 years..

This is something of Zat past or one enemy is the reason of this..

BANNED

To be honest, I don't really understand this beyond it's tapping Zatanna into the Harry Potter theme.

I mean, Zatanna is a well known character for DC already, so it's not like she needs the promotion.

Secondly, I dont get why it's necessary to de-age her and her contemporaries, when DC has just as many magical characters who are already teenagers... yet who don't seem to be making an appearance in this? So, why not use that batch for this? And since we are already venturing into the 'hey everyone's connected' area by having them all attend the same school, why not throw a party and have everyone appear?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think they're simply taking advantage of the time shenanigans afforded to them by Rebirth, which should be lasting for another year. This should give Mystic U and various other C-list characters a chance to try different stuff that may not work within continuity because the continuity of the DCU has pretty much been nuked.

If Mystic U ends up being popular, it can be spun off as another alternate Earth, and, if it doesn't, they can cherry-pick any elements from it that work into the main continuity whenever Doomsday Clock hits the giant reset button again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think they're simply taking advantage of the time shenanigans afforded to them by Rebirth, which should be lasting for another year. This should give Mystic U and various other C-list characters a chance to try different stuff that may not work within continuity because the continuity of the DCU has pretty much been nuked.

If Mystic U ends up being popular, it can be spun off as another alternate Earth, and, if it doesn't, they can cherry-pick any elements from it that work into the main continuity whenever Doomsday Clock hits the giant reset button again.
    I am not quite sure if Mystik U is actually in-continuity... it's not the kind of thing I'd imagine would be, considering people like Enchantress and Faust usually come into the magic scene of DC much later in life.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I am not quite sure if Mystik U is actually in-continuity... it's not the kind of thing I'd imagine would be, considering people like Enchantress and Faust usually come into the magic scene of DC much later in life.
    In the interview, the writer makes clear that the story will explain how Zatanna is suddenly an 18 year old college students and references a "retroactive" spell. So, basically, a retcon spell that will make all these formerly adult mystic characters into college students again for as long as the story requires them to be.

Like I said, if this proves popular, the concept will stick around, if not, it'll be ignored.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    In the interview, the writer makes clear that the story will explain how Zatanna is suddenly an 18 year old college students and references a "retroactive" spell. So, basically, a retcon spell that will make all these formerly adult mystic characters into college students again for as long as the story requires them to be.

Like I said, if this proves popular, the concept will stick around, if not, it'll be ignored.
    Well, I am also more thinking about stuff like June Moon and Faust, even deaged tend to be either insane or outright evil.

BANNED

At 6 dollars, this was pricey for a comic but worth it.

Intriguing and a lot of fun.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The whole de-aging thing sounds a bit perplexing but I'll see how it plays out. I'm thrilled that they're using Sargon(and not that nasty version from the New 52). I think it's cool that they're making him Iraqi as it makes the turban he's always worn make more sense.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The whole de-aging thing sounds a bit perplexing but I'll see how it plays out. I'm thrilled that they're using Sargon(and not that nasty version from the New 52). I think it's cool that they're making him Iraqi as it makes the turban he's always worn make more sense.
    Hmmm... actually it doesn't unless he happens to be a shiek or a Turk from the times of the Ottoman empire.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Hmmm... actually it doesn't unless he happens to be a shiek or a Turk from the times of the Ottoman empire.

Turbans are commonly worn by men in the middle east. Perhaps not exactly in Iraq but like you said, he could have Turk or Ottoman roots.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Turbans are commonly worn by men in the middle east.
    Perhaps not exactly in Iraq but like you said, he could have Turk or Ottoman roots.
    Not by the average folk. They tend to wear a loose headscarf to ward off the sun if they must.
    Which doesn't explain why he would wear one, it's not a religious object, and in many cases it's worn in place of a crown if it's being worn by a sultan or king.

So, if I'm reading this right...current Zatanna casts a spell that sends her back in time to when she was a teenager so she can go back to Mystik U and either prevent someone from becoming the Malevolence or finds someone strong enough to beat it.

Y'know, if this had come out a few years ago I would've assumed they were doing this to tie-in to the teenage Zee in Young Justice.