Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman villains: how would you fix: The agents of War.

Looking back at WW’s rogues, a startling percentage of them have Mars/Ares’ influence in their origin. This ranges from the literal children of Ares like Deimos, Phobos and Strife/Eris, to his lieutenants like the Duke of Deception, and Earl of Greed. Silver Swan is also in this catagory at least the original one. Should these characters be a more organized group of some kind?

I do think it depends on what they are doing with Ares. Also with Silver Swan I do think she shouldn’t have loyalty. Maybe she should be on her own like either one her powers are from somewhere else

Astonishing Member

I have never liked the Duke, Earl or Lord Conquest.

Greek Myth is overflowing with personifications; it does not need these pale imitations. Apate, Koros and etcetera are all available.

Earl of Greed - A businessgod who leads Villainly Inc. and has profiting from war since the birth of capitalism

Duke of Deception - The son of Ares and Circe who motivates criminals into attacking Wonder Woman just because his mother tells him to

Lord Conquest - A son of Ares and an alien woman who goes from planet to planet starting and ending wars, takes the most advance tech from each planet after hes done and uses it to power his ship and his weapons.

Deimos and Phobos - Twin sons of Ares who try to start wars between nations and sometimes just neighbors

SIlver Swan - A shallow metahuman who wants revenge for people making fun of her and after she has been defeated multiple times by Wonder Woman she has her upgraded and body "perfected" by a god by making a deal that in turn she is "owned" by them.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Looking back at WW’s rogues, a startling percentage of them have Mars/Ares’ influence in their origin. This ranges from the literal children of Ares like Deimos, Phobos and Strife/Eris, to his lieutenants like the Duke of Deception, and Earl of Greed. Silver Swan is also in this catagory at least the original one. Should these characters be a more organized group of some kind?

I've always thought that Silver Swan, Nubia, the Duke of Deception, etc. should be some sort of organized group as emissaries of Ares.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I'd like for Ares (if he ever returns to villainy) to establish his group of minions in a more consistent fashion. My picks for his "Agents of Evil" would be:

The Duke of Deception – Ares's right-hand man.

Silver Swan – Ares's champion (basically his version of Wonder Woman).

Deimos, Phobos, and Eris – Ares's children and primary henchmen. I liked the way they were presented in Perez's run with monstrous designs, though I'm also a fan of Bilquis Evely's prettyboy designs, and Chiang's Strife.

Decay – Just because I really like the character and her design.

I always enjoyed stories with Ares' children (Deimos, Phobos, and Eris), but would keep them as separate players to Duke of Deception, Lord Conquest, and Earl of Greed.

I think Duke of Deception, Lord Conquest, the Earl of Greed are ripe for a revamping. One, they're longtime classic foes of Diana and two, there's something interesting there in terms of their "royal" titles in juxtaposition to Queen Hippolyta and Princess Diana. Heck, I might even throw in Minister Blizzard and Queen Clea into a meeting between them, along with building out additional characters (ie Hellfire Club-ish.) I typically like to let characters stand on their own (rather than be too interconnected) to build out Wonder Woman's world in new directions, but with these guys I might make an exception. I can see an Ares connection as his agents on Earth to sow hate and discord - especially since in this new continuity we aren't 100% sure how the Olympians and their related gods will manifest on Earth. Maybe he's outfitted them with magic items...similarly to how I'd like Angle Man's angler to be Apokoliptan technology.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'd like for Ares (if he ever returns to villainy) to establish his group of minions in a more consistent fashion. My picks for his "Agents of Evil" would be:

The Duke of Deception – Ares's right-hand man.

Silver Swan – Ares's champion (basically his version of Wonder Woman).

Deimos, Phobos, and Eris – Ares's children and primary henchmen. I liked the way they were presented in Perez's run with monstrous designs, though I'm also a fan of Bilquis Evely's prettyboy designs, and Chiang's Strife.

Decay – Just because I really like the character and her design.

While I'm not a big fan of the threats from Greek myth, I love how Perez presented Decay(one crazy b_tch) along with Deimos and Phobos.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The reason why i placed all these characters together is because i always found it strange that Ares (the god of war) didn't order his underlings in a more military or atleast paramilitary fashion.

Well... COULD he? Sure, he's the god of war. But several of his children are thousands of years old. They have their own thing. Also... Strife apparently hangs out with Apollo in DC.

And seems to think Superman is awesome...

But, could Ares summon her to do his will? Probably.

I kind of liked how Deimos, Phobos, and Eris worked independently from Ares in some instances...they felt like the spiritual children of Lord Conquest, Duke of Deception, and the Earl of Greed post-Crisis.

As I mentioned in my earlier comment, I could see Lord Conquest, Duke of Deception, and the Earl of Greed working as human agents of Ares on Earth. I just like to see their concept get revamped/expanded on to include women characters too.

I’m not a huge fan of Vanessa Kapatelis as Silver Swan, so I could go for an Ares-inspired Helena back in continuity. My only drawback to that is between Ares’s children, his agents on Earth, and Silver Swan that’s a lot of characters connected to Ares.

Lord Conquest, Duke of Deception, and the Earl of Greed might work best as demi-god level threats while the others are more powerful.

Yeah, I’m kind of seeing them as being bestowed powers and weapons by Ares. They’re a bit at his mercy and whim in terms of keeping their abilities and/or accessories.

Why not have SIlver Swan be her own thing. That she either got caught up in a magic battle or Circe to just piss Diana turned a friend into a deadly foe. She expected her to die but survived and flies off from Diana.

What if (using Rucka's version) Ares is actually happy with how things are but his children firs think it's a lie than finding out it's not want to kill their father and the Amazons.