Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Quote Originally Posted by Heavunion View Post
    Can't Circe just be a figure of feminism gone wrong ? Someone talked about Zoom and I'm thinking, what if Circe acted like Zoom but towards women who have been hurt by men before to actually kill men by giving them the tools to fight and Wonder Woman's actual fighting wouldn't really be to fight Circe but to fight for her ideals. It would be a cool way of having Wonder Woman in a more " Superman " light where it's really about the power of her name

To me, her battle with Ares in Perez' run is one of the highest in Wonder Woman's history, A pure battle of ideology that you can't win by punching your way through. Of course, you could still have actual fighting but I think it could be good to have that ideology part because one aspect of Diana is that she is inspirational and it would be interesting to have a dark mirror of that aspect, someone who is also inspirational but in a bad way.
    I agree about everything, including the Ares battle.

True. I realy think this should include the male Gods. Circe hurting them down and turning them into her pets. However, there is nothing the other gods or Diana can do. If they heal them they will be more savage and barbaric and will follow Circe's orders.

I feel like focus on the gods should be left to Cheetah. Humanity/mortals should be something that Circe is more interested in.

I think one should demand the same respect for the mythological material and characters as for the prior depictions of DC characters. When looking at how Circe has been portrayed from the Odyssey forward you find a couple of points that I think are rather constant, and should be considered part of the core character:

• The island. Circe always lives geographically secluded. Within her domains she is very powerful, but she does not leave them (unless she goes to find a new island).
    • Herbs, potions, and enchantment. She is a powerful sorceress, but her powers also have limits.
    • Sexually free, or at least hedonistic. Her relation to men has changed over time, but arguably a lot of the myths around her concern male fear for women who they cannot control, but instead control them (possibly by turning them into beasts, i.e. controlled by their primal urges).

To me, the parallels with Poison Ivy are rather striking. I don't view Circe as evil, more as primarily concerned with a rather narrow set of interests. She can be a useful advisor but also a rather serious obstacle.
    Last edited by kjn; 08-08-2018 at 03:30 PM.

In the myths, Circe had turned men into monsters to use for her potions. So I guess that can be where she gets her powers from. That Circe was locked up by the Amazons but still found men to come onto her Island turned them into her pets and use some of them to gain her powers back. If you did turn a god into her potions she should use it in many different ways. I mean she is god himself so why limit it? How much can we limit it? Then again the Greek gods themselves various in Wonder Woman mythos. We know they are powerful but have their limits

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think one should demand the same respect for the mythological material and characters as for the prior depictions of DC characters. When looking at how Circe has been portrayed from the Odyssey forward you find a couple of points that I think are rather constant, and should be considered part of the core character:

• The island. Circe always lives geographically secluded. Within her domains she is very powerful, but she does not leave them (unless she goes to find a new island).
    • Herbs, potions, and enchantment. She is a powerful sorceress, but her powers also have limits.
    • Sexually free, or at least hedonistic. Her relation to men has changed over time, but arguably a lot of the myths around her concern male fear for women who they cannot control, but instead control them (possibly by turning them into beasts, i.e. controlled by their primal urges).

To me, the parallels with Poison Ivy are rather striking. I don't view Circe as evil, more as primarily concerned with a rather narrow set of interests. She can be a useful advisor but also a rather serious obstacle.
    She's evil in the "I don't care how many people I have to step on to get what I want." way. Add to that her habit of following her whims and you have a dangerous opponent... Sure she could be an ally, if that suited her whims.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

She's evil in the "I don't care how many people I have to step on to get what I want." way. Add to that her habit of following her whims and you have a dangerous opponent... Sure she could be an ally, if that suited her whims.