Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

In 2017, with so much attention on how men have used their power to abuse and intimidate women, id love to see Quesada explain how he can still call himself a progressive, fair minded person when he has advocated the diluting of a character who was one of Marvel’s only consistent, strong female characters, all so the male character can pursue less fulfilling and dramatically satisfying relationships with a string of female characters.

Or how any advocates of OMD can say the same about themselves

Not only is OMD incredibly misogynistic, but it’s a hindrance to new stories

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Quesada talked about OMD yesterday on Twitter

https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/statu...F%3Fpage%3D643
    Congrats on putting boring limitations on Spider-Man Joe. One of the most interesting / valued outcome of realtionships in society is the prospect of mariage, when you remove the prospect, when you shut down the possiblity, you shut down excitement and imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's a gap between "Is this objectively true?" and "Would it be unreasonable for Quesada to believe this?" (IE- It's objectively false.)
    I still stand by my premise that OMD in its execution was one of the biggest blunders in comic book history. If Quesada believes it is or isn't is immaterial. Frankly, I don't care what he thinks about the subject OMD is still extremely controversial and rightly so. Furthermore, going through with it the way he did was assinine. This is my last post on the subject, as I grow weary of this pointless debate. Comment if you wish, but don't expect a reply in return from me. I've, more than, had my say.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-29-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Sales for everything were higher in the '90s, for a wide variety of reasons. Pointing to sales today compared to twenty years ago proves absolutely nothing.

I'm sure Quesada is indifferent to OMD questions at this point. I'm sure he was aware at the time the story was planned that there would be a segment of fans who would never "get over it" and he's fine with that. You can't please everybody.
    Well said.
    Is a bit bafling to see fans to get still annoyed about OMD.
    Have they never read a story that they dislike?Just OMD?
    I know most of comics are great or at least entertaining and i like to read most of them,but there will be always comic books one does not like.(To me it was not One More Day,but i disliked some of the stories by JMS in ASM in the second half of his run,and i read that other fans enjoyed those comics)
    When i started Reading comics most of them were great in the late 80s and i was reading reprints about older stories that were equally or better that the 80s comics and even then i read comics i disliked as Secret Wars 2,and still was quite easy to get over a story that i disliked back then.
    I just find it silly the fans that still have not got over OMD,as if a comic book publisher have to please all the fans with all the storiesa they publish.Is it not common sense that this idea is actually impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Well said.
    I know most of comics are great or at least entertaining and i like to read most of them,but there will be always comic books one does not like.(To me it was not One More Day,but i disliked some of the stories by JMS in ASM in the second half of his run,and i read that other fans enjoyed those comics)
    When i started Reading comics most of them were great in the late 80s and i was reading reprints about older stories that were equally or better that the 80s comics and even then i read comics i disliked as Secret Wars 2,and still was quite easy to get over a story that i disliked back then.
    I just find it silly the fans that still have not got over OMD,as if a comic book publisher have to please all the fans with all the storiesa they publish.Is it not common sense that this idea is actually impossible?
    I think the reason OMD remains a contention point is that it's not something that can be ignored, so to speak. Other "bad" stories happen, then things just resume as they did before. Current ASM is defined by OMD, so if you don't like it or the premise that it created, it's really hard to escape it.

Personally, I do agree that these kind of things get taken way too seriously (it is just a story, after all), but I think what people who hate it can't get over is not that it's a bad story, but what it turned Spider-Man into, which is something that will ostensibly never change.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Well said.
    You are confusing something that is just a disliked story, with the removal and banning of a marriage from the core Spider-Man comics. People will always care about marriage. It is ingrained in society and its a big deal to many fans when it happens in comics. You expect people to make an exception on behalf of Marvel just for Spider-Man?

I think the reason OMD remains a contention point is that it's not something that can be ignored, so to speak. Other "bad" stories happen, then things just resume as they did before. Current ASM is defined by OMD, so if you don't like it or the premise that it created, it's really hard to escape it.
    It's something that can very easily be ignored and OMD has nothing to do with current Spider-man. It's just that various rabid online fans are fueling each other's outrage. People would rather wallow in their misery than move on. It's like a game to some people who can overreact the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's something that can very easily be ignored and OMD has nothing to do with current Spider-man. It's just that various rabid online fans are fueling each other's outrage. People would rather wallow in their misery than move on. It's like a game to some people who can overreact the most.

The fact that marriage is off the table for the character has everything to do with current Spider-Man. It informs readers very well about his limitations and restrictions as a character. I don't think it's an appropriate mandate for someone who is supposed to be relatable.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    In 2017, with so much attention on how men have used their power to abuse and intimidate women, id love to see Quesada explain how he can still call himself a progressive, fair minded person when he has advocated the diluting of a character who was one of Marvel’s only consistent, strong female characters, all so the male character can pursue less fulfilling and dramatically satisfying relationships with a string of female characters.

I don't like OMD but that was a massive stretch there, just to bash it.

what were you thinking when you wrote "One More Day" and wiped out Peter Parker's marriage to Mary Jane? I hope you had a plan to bring them together again.
    aka, Mary Jane fans drew the short straw with Dan Slott becoming the long time writer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 11-29-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    You are confusing something that is just a disliked story, with the removal and banning of a marriage from the core Spider-Man comics. People will always care about marriage. It is ingrained in society and its a big deal to many fans when it happens in comics. You expect people to make an exception on behalf of Marvel just for Spider-Man?
    I think most reasonable people expect other reasonable people to get over a comic book story they didn't like. If you can't read the character anymore because of OMD, that's cool. No big deal. Move on to other things.

The fact that marriage is off the table for the character has everything to do with current Spider-Man. It informs readers very well about his limitations and restrictions as a character. I don't think it's an appropriate mandate for someone who is supposed to be relatable.
    Every comic book character - at least when it comes to serialized superheroes - is limited. They're never really going to evolve and develop like real people. If that's what you're looking for in your superhero comics, save yourself the trouble and just stop reading. These characters will always be essentially frozen in time, hovering in a certain age range forever. If Peter got married again...what would happen? He and his wife would just...stay married? They wouldn't have kids that would actually grow up and they themselves wouldn't grow old together and face the changes that age brings. The kind of real growth you're looking for - the kind we experience in our actual lives as we move through different phases - it's not what superhero comics are built for.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think most reasonable people expect other reasonable people to get over a comic book story they didn't like. If you can't read the character anymore because of OMD, that's cool. No big deal. Move on to other things.

Every comic book character - at least when it comes to serialized superheroes - is limited. They're never really going to evolve and develop like real people. If that's what you're looking for in your superhero comics, save yourself the trouble and just stop reading. These characters will always be essentially frozen in time, hovering in a certain age range forever. If Peter got married again...what would happen? He and his wife would just...stay married? They wouldn't have kids that would actually grow up and they themselves wouldn't grow old together and face the changes that age brings. The kind of real growth you're looking for - the kind we experience in our actual lives as we move through different phases - it's not what superhero comics are built for.
    I know all this but Spider-Man is the only one who was married for a long time and then they determined it wasn't ok any more and it was banned. Other heros may have been married, but they aren't then banned from that happening again for them. It's a Spider-Man specific issue. I have no problem with how comics in general. I have a problem with what they have done to Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 11-29-2017 at 09:38 PM.

That's all behind the scenes stuff. Nowhere does it affect the stories themselves. You shouldn't judge a story based on the author's notes.

Other heros may have been married, but they aren't then banned from that happening again for them. It's a Spider-Man specific issue.
    The majority of superhero marriages are short term things lasting no longer than a change in powers or costumes. Are there exceptions? Sure. And while it's been repeatedly said that "the Marriage" is never coming back, has anyone ever stepped forward and said there will never be any marriage again? Don't get hung up on "he has to be married to Mary Jane forever" I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for the character to be married for a short while if it suits the storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    aka, Mary Jane fans drew the short straw with Dan Slott becoming the long time writer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Whoever wrote ASM after OMD was going to have some kind of hang-up about the Peter/MJ relationship. It's the next Spider-writer that I'm really curious how they tackle that.

(You know, provided we actually get a next Spider-writer. And with the state the world is in these days, that's not exactly a guarantee. )

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post

This is the same guy who said Hollywood didn't have enough talented actresses when asked why the MCU did not have a solo superheroine movie back during 2011-2012. He was also vocal in not letting writers like Bendis include female characters like Dazzler in their 2000's runs because he personally hated said female characters.

Misogyny played a big role in OMD no matter how much folks spin the marriage as "story limitation". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every OMD defender or marriage non-fan is misogynistic, just that the actual reason OMD was implemented was pretty misogynistic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I don't like OMD but that was a massive stretch there, just to bash it.
    I don’t think it is a stretch. I can write a more detailed case later, but in short:

The reason they gave was pretty much married life was boring, it’s more exciting for Peter to have a range of women to try and date

Before OMD, Peter had a supporting cast of strong women characters who supported him - May, MJ and Felicia. Afterwards, all three are reduced to stereotypes or written out of the book. May was back to hating that bad Spider-Man and got married again.

Felicia became a one note sexualised stereotype who would sleep with Spider-Man and steal his blood. MJ became someone who’d leave as soon as the going got tough.

That’s not even mentioning the way the book treated characters like Michelle. Or Peters violent behaviour towards Kraven’s wife. In a decade where most books were making strides, this one went way back in terms of gender representation and I’m surprised less people are talking about it.

791 paid some lip service to the idea of gender equality - in a tongue in cheek way - but the book has been in a bad way for some time.

Thankfully, there’s been stuff like Spider-Gwen, Silk and Renew Your Vows to save the line a little bit and I’d say since ASMv3 things have been getting a bit better in the main book.
    Last edited by RD!; 11-30-2017 at 03:50 AM.