Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Joe Quesada discusses One More Day on Twitter

Quesada talked about OMD yesterday on Twitter

what were you thinking when you wrote "One More Day" and wiped out Peter Parker's marriage to Mary Jane? I hope you had a plan to bring them together again.
    JoeQuesada Retweeted Michael Kurland
    The plan was to have them either be together or not depending on what subsequent writer teams wanted to do, just not married. Nothing more, nothing less. For deeper details as to why, I did hundreds of interviews about it at the time. I'm sure many are still viewable.
    https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/statu...F%3Fpage%3D643

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I wonder if Quesada ever gets sick of being asked about OMD?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    No doubt, just shows how one bad decision coupled with even worse execution can mar an otherwise good career. Like the old saying goes -

"Fools rush in where wise people dare not tread."
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-28-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The way I interpret OMD is that Pete and MJ are in some way still married. Just that Mephisto made it so they don't remember it ever happening. But that a part of their soul still knows and cries out in anguish. Horrible writing I know ...or he time traveled magic to make it never happen but it's all somehow the same which makes no sense either. But a part of them can't remember something if it never happened. Thus still married but most of them doesn't know? The logic is all flawed so hard to wrap ones head around the devil deal and what it REALLY did. Thus I hope he doesn't marry someone else then have him and MJ remember they are married for the soap opera. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    No doubt, just shows how one bad decision coupled with even worse execution can mar an otherwise good career. Like the old saying goes -

"Fools rush in where wise people dare not tread."
    I doubt he sees it as a bad decision. It worked.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I doubt he sees it as a bad decision. It worked.
    People often cannot admit their mistakes.

And if it has "worked" is highly debatable. Besides, even if it did "work" it has created such a lingering negative issue for the fanbase and franchise alike that it has in no way been worth the headaches. As evident by the fact that OMD is a such a controversial topic both inside and outside the industry, which any quick internet will demonstrate.

People often cannot admit their mistakes.

And if it has "worked" is highly debatable. Besides, even if it did "work" it has created such a lingering negative issue for the fanbase and franchise alike that it has in no way been worth the headaches. As evident by the fact that OMD is a such a controversial topic both inside and outside the industry, which any quick internet will demonstrate.
    If a single Peter Parker is a better story engine than a married Peter Parker, it is worth the headaches.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

If a single Peter Parker is a better story engine than a married Peter Parker, it is worth the headaches.
    There is no proof he is though. Sales were actually higher in the 1990s when Pete was married, and there were some great stories to. Granted there were many factors at play, just like there are today. A married, single, gay, straight or purple Spidey can be involved in equally engaging stories. Saying otherwise is simply admitting one has a weak imagination that cannot operate within certain constraints
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.

There is no proof he is though. Sales were actually higher in the 1990s when Pete was married, and there were some great stories to. Granted there were many factors at play, just like there are today. A married, single, gay, straight or purple Spidey can be involved in equally engaging stories. Saying otherwise is simply admitting one has a weak imagination that cannot operate within certain constraints
    There are several points to unpack here, but as long as Joe Quesada thinks a single Peter Parker is a better story engine, he'll think it's worth the headaches. The standard to dispute that would be relatively high (IE- no reasonable person can disagree that the marriage was an equal or better story engine to Peter being single.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

There are several points to unpack here, but as long as Joe Quesada thinks a single Peter Parker is a better story engine, he'll think it's worth the headaches. The standard to dispute that would be relatively high (IE- no reasonable person can disagree that the marriage was an equal or better story engine to Peter being single.)
    He's allowed there to be platforms for a married Peter to co-exist anyway. He probably feels Marvel are giving everyone what they want.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I know I would.

Once again, just because he feels that way doesn't mean it's objectively true. No one can argue that the story and its execution have not been highly controversial. To contend otherwise is to deny, easily demonstratable, reality. I thus stand by my original statement that OMD was a poorly thought out story that has caused a lingering mess within both the fanbase and franchise, regardless of how anyone feels.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-29-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Once again, just because he feels that way doesn't mean it's objectively true. No one can argue that the story and its execution have not been highly controversial. To contend otherwise is to deny, easily demonstratable, reality. I thus stand by my original statement that OMD was a poorly thought out story that has caused a lingering mess within both the fanbase and franchise, regardless of how anyone feels.
    There's a gap between "Is this objectively true?" and "Would it be unreasonable for Quesada to believe this?" (IE- It's objectively false.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Sales for everything were higher in the '90s, for a wide variety of reasons. Pointing to sales today compared to twenty years ago proves absolutely nothing.

I'm sure Quesada is indifferent to OMD questions at this point. I'm sure he was aware at the time the story was planned that there would be a segment of fans who would never "get over it" and he's fine with that. You can't please everybody.

Well he did mention a third act that we have yet to see, so there is a dangling plot thread. But he'll be asked about OMD forever, in any case, so he might as well get used to it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.