Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Bane statue strikes again:

Batman Teenage Ninja Turtles Bane.jpg

BANNED

Bane was a legit unstoppable monster. He fought Batman, Shredder and Splinter solo and then everyone solo and still kept going.

Respect.

"This Shredder is reading his own eulogy" LMAO.

Excellent, there is a Bane appreciation thread! I am usually the only one who cares about him. I'm mostly a Marvel guy, there's not much that draws me to DC, but Bane is a total boss. To me he's the absolute personification of determination and discipline, he's not a dumb brute, he's a complex character with his own moral code. He's so underrated, I think he's Batman's equal, he even surpasses him in some ways. It's a shame his character is seldom explored, I've actually found more engaging explorations of Bane in fan essays, rather than in the comics themselves. Here's one of my favourites: http://mindlessones.com/2011/01/25/r...review-3-bane/

BANNED

Pff,

"It`s Mine"

Better luck next time Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Coulson View Post
    Excellent, there is a Bane appreciation thread! I am usually the only one who cares about him. I'm mostly a Marvel guy, there's not much that draws me to DC,

but Bane is a total boss. To me he's the absolute personification of determination and discipline, he's not a dumb brute, he's a complex character with his own moral code. He's so underrated, I think he's Batman's equal, he even surpasses him in some ways. It's a shame his character is seldom explored, I've actually found more engaging explorations of Bane in fan essays, rather than in the comics themselves. Here's one of my favourites: http://mindlessones.com/2011/01/25/r...review-3-bane/
    I see him like a GOD. For this I created this topic. I saw strange that noboby made this previously..

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I see him like a GOD. For this I created this topic. I saw strange that noboby made this previously..
    It is kinda weird that there wasn't one before. But there is now, thanks to you!

Anyone read Bane Conquest #11? I thought it was really fun, and very interesting how the whole thing is coming down to a confrontation with Batman.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I had forgotten that Bane Conquest existed haha I read it, it was fun, if Dixon and Nolan give me at least a good Batman vs Bane fight I will be somehow pleased, since the title hasn’t been as good as I’d have wanted it to be. Though a fight between them both would be cool, I expect that it isn’t the final resolution, Batman defeating Bane, especially considering it’s Bane’s title
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I was going to ask about Conquest and whether it was worth checking out.

There is certainly something god-like about Bane, my favourite Marvel character is Doom and I can see many parallels between the two. They are both like forces of nature, through sheer force of will they stand above mere mortals. Both excellent leaders. They both have quite eccentric personalities too. I like the way Gail Simone writes Bane, there's something so honest and child-like about his way of seeing the world. And yet he's not childish or naive, he just sees things in a very straight forward way, unclouded by insecurity, or bias, or delusions of grandeur, or even the opinions of others. I think he embraces what it is the be human more than most characters, he accepts that all we are is flesh and blood.

Bane is Batman without the privilege and the self-pity. There's something inspiring about Bane in that he just won't quit, he will never stop fighting. He can't be broken. Goddamn he's so cool! I could go on about him for hours.
    In my weaker moments, I do honestly have Bane's voice in the back of my mind encouraging me to keep going no matter what. He's even changed my attitude towards pain, I no longer fear it, I embrace that it is a necessary part of life. So he is god-like or totemic in another sense. At least to me. Paul Dini had a similar experience with Batman, which he talks about on Smodcast and then later wrote Dark Knight: A True Batman Story.
    Last edited by Coulson; 05-30-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Bane is one of my all-time favorite Batman villains and I dislike it whenever he's portrayed as a glorified lucha-libre wrestler for hire like in the DCAU.

Bane Conquest has been a great read and I hope it finishes strong.

I always found it so disappointing that the DCAU, particularly the Timm/Dini shows, gave us some of the best incarnations of most characters, even really obscure ones, and yet they clearly had no fondness for Bane. It may have been because Knightfall came out after BTAS began, so Bane must have seemed like a fad. There's always a wariness around new characters to long established lore. The only time Bane was even remotely done justice in the DCAU was this scene here and it was a dream sequence! https://youtu.be/MlBuL6wul_w

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm definitely buying the Bane Conquest TPB. Excited to read it in chunks or a sitting.

I'm still impressed that King fixed Bane for me as a character/villain. Brought him home. I Am Suicide together with especially I Am Bane are a great Bane story.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm definitely buying the Bane Conquest TPB. Excited to read it in chunks or a sitting.

I'm still impressed that King fixed Bane for me as a character/villain. Brought him home. I Am Suicide together with especially I Am Bane are a great Bane story.
    What was the general feeling you had about Bane before I Am Suicide?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Conquest has been remarkably unimpressive. Bane is such a flat and one dimensional character in it. It doesn't even succeed as shallow action comic because Bane in it does not display any real feat of strength, skill, intellect or resiliency. So I have no reason to root for the character in this book. He just going through the motions, I hope King returns to him in the future.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    What was the general feeling you had about Bane before I Am Suicide?
    Basically, ever since "Tabula Rasa" and "Veritas Liberat" in Gotham Knights, I started losing more and more interest in Bane. Dixon was gone from him. And Bruce and him were more friendly. And then DC really gives off the feeling of just not knowing what to do with Bane and you get inconsistent versions of him. He could be blessing Dick as Batman at one point and then attacking Gotham with the Secret Six to kill certain Batfam members at another. Off of venom and hating venom since Dixon, but then S/B for an arc has Bane on venom again. Artists wanted to keep using his venom tubes and so Secret Six had to explain that he still wears the tubes out of habit (which is head scratching and kinda silly).

He was an ill-focused mess that I felt needed someone like King to come along and kinda undo where some of Dixon's reforms had led Bane. Bring him back to his roots more, to earlier Dixon Bane. King did that. (I think Dixon seemed to appreciate in Conquest interviews that Bane needed that rejiggering)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-31-2018 at 06:32 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Basically, ever since "Tabula Rasa" and "Veritas Liberat" in Gotham Knights, I started losing more and more interest in Bane. Dixon was gone from him. And Bruce and him were more friendly. And then DC really gives off the feeling of just not knowing what to do with Bane and you get inconsistent versions of him. He could be blessing Dick as Batman at one point and then attacking Gotham with the Secret Six to kill certain Batfam members at another. Off of venom and hating venom since Dixon, but then S/B has Bane on venom again. Artists wanted to keep using his venom tubes and so Secret Six had to explain that he still wears the tubes out of habit (which is head scratching and kinda silly).
    Interesting. I'm a fan of Bane, but I generally don't follow villains' arcs, so I've only really read him as part of arcs of other things I was following, like Secret Six. I do think that even though Beatty was a partner and protege of Dixon's, his stuff after Dixon left got increasingly bad for all characters involved, and Bane was no exception.