Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Would you recommend either Batgirl Cassandra Cain Trades or Stephanie Brown TPB

So like the title says, I'm on the prowl to buy something, deciding to either buy the 1st 2 Cassandra Cain Batgirl or the first volume of Stephanie Brown Batgirl. Which would you do?

Extraordinary Member

Both if you can. If you can only get 1, then my vote goes to the Stephanie Brown series. But both are good, unique series that contain elements DC and especially Batman books have been missing in recent years.

BANNED

Already gave you my highest recommendation for Cass's series on your previous thread. There's no book I'd recommend over it.

I am not personally a very big fan of Steph's Batgirl book (Primarily for it's poor treatment of Cass) but personal feelings aside, it's a pretty good book. Nothing truly amazing, but very much enjoyable and much better than most of what DC has put out in recent years.
    Last edited by Assam; 12-10-2017 at 01:51 PM.

The best people to ask this would be Assam for the Cass material and Millernumber1 for the Steph material. They seem to be the resident experts on those characters

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    So like the title says, I'm on the prowl to buy something, deciding to either buy the 1st 2 Cassandra Cain Batgirl or the first volume of Stephanie Brown Batgirl. Which would you do?
    You can't cheat and buy Volume 1 of each?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You can't cheat and buy Volume 1 of each?
    By the way, Barnes & Noble is offering a "Buy 2 and Get 1 Free" deal with DC and Marvel graphic novels; you'd have to double-check to see if these would qualify for that.

Both are good, but the Stephanie Brown series is one of the best Batfamily runs DC has published.

Steph's Batgirl run was quite enjoyable. I'd go with that one.

I really enjoyed both quite a bit (still trying to get my hands on some more Cass trades) .

Both are amazing, but I'd go for Cass' BG first.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    The answer is both!

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Already gave you my highest recommendation for Cass's series on your previous thread. There's no book I'd recommend over it.

I am not personally a very big fan of Steph's Batgirl book (Primarily for it's poor treatment of Cass) but personal feelings aside, it's a pretty good book. Nothing truly amazing, but very much enjoyable and much better than most of what DC has put out in recent years.
    I understand why you'd probably say that, but I would argue (at length), that what BQM accomplished with Steph's Batgirl run is truly amazing. There is a lot of really careful craft involved, from catchphrases, to deep continuity references like Steph's "autopsy", to the way he juggles Steph, Babs, and Wendy's arcs, to the sheer fun he has with the world of a new Batgirl, to the rich art of Lee Garbett, Pere Perez, and Dustin Nguyen.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    The best people to ask this would be Assam for the Cass material and Millernumber1 for the Steph material. They seem to be the resident experts on those characters
    I hear my name! Awww, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Both are good, but the Stephanie Brown series is one of the best Batfamily runs DC has published.
    Yes. It has a really solid balance of three long-term plot arcs and a lot of enjoyable one-shots. And a minimum of crossovers, unlike its sister series Red Robin, which suffered from at least three major crossovers in its second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really enjoyed both quite a bit (still trying to get my hands on some more Cass trades) .
    I will say that the first three new Cass trades have slightly higher paper/cover quality, from my feeling of them in the store (I buy most trades digitally these days, so I have Steph's first new trade digitally, as well as her three old trades, plus all missing singles).

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Both are amazing, but I'd go for Cass' BG first.
    I think there's a lot of merit in this (though I say if you're buying two books, buy both!), since Cass's run as Batgirl sets up Babs's role as a mentor for both Cass and Steph, and also the idea of Batgirl as a legacy that has meaning.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Cassandra's. Steph's is good too, but I would always take Cassie's over Steph's.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I prefer Stephs personally.

I had no personal favorite, i like boths runs a lot, but i would start with Cassandra just to see their friendship first.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Something to add - there's a lot of talk of liking one or the other more, or the importance of the character/continuity. I wanted to add something about the overall tone of each series. Cass's run as Batgirl was a serious one with cheerful, cartoony art mostly by Damion Scott. It emphasized the darkness of Gotham, the light Cass tried to keep aflame with her amazing abilities, and the impossibility of true victory over evil. Steph's run as Batgirl was a lighthearted one that had the capacity to touch on more serious themes. It emphasized Steph growing into the role, and the hopeful, bright attitude she brought to the role. So I think a large part of why you might enjoy one or the other series would depend on your preferred Gotham. If your preferred Gotham takes an unflinching look at the limitations of fighting evil, but being determined to keep fighting anyway, then Cass is your Batgirl. If your preferred Gotham emphasizes hope, quips, and determination to live up to your predecessors and make your own way in the world as you grow up, then Steph is your Batgirl.

Or you could love both!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord