Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    So do you think we need to see some separate reactions from each other of them? Like alone?

Meaning, I know that Dick understands but does he agree with him marrying Selina? You know, that kind of thing.
    All I mean is that their reaction in that scene is tinged by the severity of what is happening and the trouble they think he is in and isn't alone a reaction to hearing he has proposed to Selina. I don't think we will get full "reactions" to the engagement news from them individually as by the time we see them next they will have adjusted to the news and the immediate danger is over. Instead we will see their... opinion?

I think we saw Damian's opinion already, now that Dick has explained to him why Batman might do this. He wants his father to be happy, and if this is part of it he will accept it. Dick knowing ultimately why Batman would see that potential in a future with Selina I think suggests that he accepts it too, and appreciates how hard a step it was for him (Bruce). Dick didn't join in on the argument the boys were having in the library because, in my opinion, he had the context of more positive driving forces that might be at play than they did. I think that was why he was so calm waiting for Bruce and Selina outside the entrance, because the proposal was a sign of striving towards something positive and he trusted whatever the reason Bruce had to risk this trip was not one of self destruction.

For the others we will have to wait and see. I can't really see either Jason or Tim having an issue with it as they both have had positive interactions with Selina/Catwoman. I can see Jason relishing it in fact as it mars Batman's patina of "Justice" a bit. I guess it is possible he would feel bitter about the hypocrisy, but I don't think King is writing characters that way, I feel like he would take the path that evens the playing field between them instead. Reminders of Tim playing with a baby Helena make it hard to think Tim would be unhappy, but I don't know him well enough.

For the girls: I'm going to have to think about it.

Edit: I guess I didn't really answer your question. How I think they feel vs. whether it will play out like that (or whether we'll get to see it confirmed) are different things. I think Damian will accept it because his father decided it, but neither happy nor sad. I think Dick would be happy for it, but more importantly because it may be a sign of Batman opening up to possibility of a different future (and if he feels Batman has a shot at happiness with Catwoman that would mean he agrees with it?). The others... I think Clark might be a bit of a romantic at heart and so at heart might like the idea of it but uncertain how good a decision it is (but hopeful!). Maybe Lois thinks it would be good and humanizing for him (and might be amused by thinking Batman doesn't really know what he's getting himself in to) - she seems curious about it for sure. Wonder Woman - I have no clue! Steph - In Batman Eternal Selina opens her eyes to some truths about herself which ultimately lets Steph break free from her father. She geeks out about her too, so unless something bad happened after that, she seems to like her well enough. Maybe the news would be exciting? Cass - I don't know their interactions very well.
    Last edited by K Nikk; 12-08-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Yes that's right. Tim was babysitting Baby Helena while Selina discussed some things over with Bruce. That's a good scene.

And then also how Tim was in on the "test" that Bruce for Selina when Tim had the "argument" with Selina in HUSH.

And for those that don't know, she passed the test.

Such an amazing issue. I swear, after this, I need to see King on a Superman book. His Lois and Clark is just too good.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Ugh so much schlock i feel like a housewife reading this. This is pandering on the highest level. Dropped though will pick up issues with Dick and/or Damian or once normal service is established.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Ugh so much schlock i feel like a housewife reading this. This is pandering on the highest level. Dropped though will pick up issues with Dick and/or Damian or once normal service is established.
    Why do hate love Sparkles you grouch? I thought stuff like this would be your jam?

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    But that is just my opinion. And Dietrich. And Aioros.
    Uh, could I also be seated with the group that think 'Jasons reaction was ooc' thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Why do hate love Sparkles you grouch? I thought stuff like this would be your jam?
    Stuff like this is my jam when I find it remotely believable and in character. This feels like bad fan fiction for shippers it ignores a lot just to push an idea.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 12-10-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Stuff like this is my jam when I find it remotely believable and in character. This feels like bad fan fiction for shippers it ignores a lot just to push an idea.
    Its by no means perfect and it takes a lot of liberties with the characters involved but all comics fan fiction to a large extent. I somewhat agree that some of this run can read like or comes across as bad shipper fiction [and you know how I feel about shippers] but I wouldn't write it off as that nor do I agree that that's all it is.

I'm enjoying this as a fresh take on Batman it's not my ideal but I'm enjoying it finally.

Its by no means perfect and it takes a lot of liberties with the characters involved but all comics fan fiction to a large extent. I somewhat agree that some of this run can read like or comes across as bad shipper fiction [and you know how I feel about shippers] but I wouldn't write it off as that nor do I agree that that's all it is.

I'm enjoying this as a fresh take on Batman it's not my ideal but I'm enjoying it finally.
    We just have to disagree on this one Dietrich

Honestly, i think that King really likes to pander the tumblr crow when it comes to his work in the batfamily, i saw it on Grayson, Robin War and now here, hell i'm surprised that i hadn't seen Dick eating cereal in his work, i had mixed feelings about all of it in general (lean it a bit more to negative than positive), i'm not able to comment much in "Bat and Cat" because i'm no expert in their relationship, beyond that Bruce has some of his most emotionally vulnerable moments around her (that romance issue on Brubaker's run is the first that comes to mind), but i lack the proper context to know how much of their thing here fits with previous charactherization. Batman and Superman?, well i like to believe that he is trying to reach a sort of middle ground beetween Pre and Post Crisis representation, not as chummy as the former, but not as vitriolic as the later, so althougth i'm not 100% sold in anything that King does with this 2, i am at the very least curious of how this take goes.
    Last edited by TheCape; 12-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Honestly, i think that King really likes to pander the tumblr crow when it comes to his work in the batfamily, i saw it on Grayson, Robin War and now here, hell i'm surprised that i hadn't seen Dick eating cereal in his work, i had mixed feelings about all of it in general (lean it a bit more to negative than positive), i'm not able to comment much in "Bat and Cat" because i'm no expert in their relationship, beyond that Bruce has some of most emotionally vulnerable moments around her (that romance issue on Brubaker's run is the first that comes to mind), but i lack the proper context to know how much of their thing here fits with previous charactherization. Batman and Superman?, well i like to believe that he is trying to reach a sort of middle ground beetween Pre and Post Crisis representation, not as chummy as the former, but not as vitriolic as the later, so althougth i'm not 100% sold in anything that King does with this 2, i at the very least curious of how this take goes.
    He panders to them [and we know how everyone respects that crowd]which makes feel negatively about his work on Batman. Mr Miracle doesn't have the following Batman does so his work on there has been more honest. Even the way he writes Scott and Barda is a million times more genuine and less gimmicky than BatCat or SuperBat. I love and believe Scott and Barda's relationship.

On the flip I'm willing to admit my bias. When that pandering benefited me I was more lenient and forgiving. So there's also that.

Ah no big Sparkles you're not feeling it you're not feeling it I kind of get where you're coming from.
    His Mr Miracle is miles better than his Batman no doubt but his batman I'm coming to realise has more merit than I was willing to give it at 1st.
    Last edited by dietrich; 12-10-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Ah no big Sparkles you're not feeling it you're not feeling it I kind of get where you're coming from.
    His Mr Miracle is miles better than his Batman no doubt but his batman I'm coming to realise has more merit than I was willing to give it at 1st.
    Yeah his other books are much stronger. Vision is his best work but Sheriff of Babylon is really good too, if you are into that kind of story. Same with his story in the DC Holiday Showcase. I definitely think his strength within the Batman title is his work with the Bruce/Selina relationship and smaller, tiny, one-shot stories like what he did with Swamp thing. I think he would be good for "rogue of the week" type stories.

I haven't read his Robin's work but a lot of people like it and says he is a "Robin" writer. Maybe he can't get to use the Robins (Nightwing, Robin, Red Robin, etc) as much as he would like to. I could be wrong, but that is what I am thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Uh, could I also be seated with the group that think 'Jasons reaction was ooc' thanks
    Yes, absolutely! We got 4 members so now we can sit at a table and eat Pizza and discuss Jason Todd stories from different eras

BANNED

I liked the issue, but what I didn't like was the retrogression of the relationship between Batman and Superman. If you're going to play them off as the World's Finest then just do it, don't pad out the entire issue having them act all estranged and like children. Having Superman hesitate to contact and congratulate his friend after hearing about one of the biggest developments of his adult life just seems absurd to me. It felt so pointlessly melodramatic like a soap. Also there was a really bad coloring issue during the scene in the Batcave that made Selina look like she has grotesquely large fingernails. Catwoman already knowing that Clark was Superman felt off to me, it was just a handwave. I honestly can't imagine her knowing or caring that a Metropolis reporter named Clark Kent exists at all.

Batman and Superman's dialogue felt way too homogenized, but that's a problem with nearly all of King's books.

Cynical nitpicking aside, it was a fun little issue and I loved the art and am looking forward to the next installment.