Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Sometimes the right writer with the right characters really works. I don't care for Batman. Tom King's writing has never resonated with me. But putting the two together AND adding one of my favorite characters, Selina, and the chemistry has exploded. Each issue gets stronger. It is amazingly my favorite book right now. I absolutely love King's Catwoman. He's hitting all the right notes with her. I also really enjoyed his Lois. So this was a super fun issue.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

That. Was. Wonderful.

The whole issue belongs in "Best Superman/Batman Stories of All Time" and the last couple panels, especially the last line of dialogue left me with the biggest smile on my face.

King just keeps getting better. I freaking LOVE his Batman. (And his Vision and his Mister Miracle and his Catwoman and his Superman and Lois as it turns out.) Just a perfect issue. I enjoyed it even more than last week's Batman Annual #2 which was extraordinary.

10/10. The stuff of, well, legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    We have yet to see Bruce make an announcement or anything or even tell ANYONE.

Is KING afraid to write that scene?
    Of course not. If you've read the issue you know now that (I don't know how to do spoiler tags)...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

F

O

R

R

E

A

L

==

it's Batman that's afraid.

For spoilers you put [*SPOIL] text here [/SPOIL], just remove the *

Also, this arc has been really good so far! These Batman-Superman interactions make me excited for the arc with Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    People work with Clark everyday and see Superman everyday and don't make the connection.

Bruce and Batman are pretty much the same height and build and nobody makes the connection.

Selina and Bruce could also very well say, "hey, it looks like somebody has taken up the mantle of Catwoman".

Who knows, maybe this is what makes things not work out.
    I always love your posts.

I think that last bit especially is very insightful. In this issue (which I'm not going to worry about spoiling because it's on the shelves and people should probably expect spoilers at this point) we see that Catwoman sees herself as Batman's partner in his mission where he maybe doesn't. Or definitely doesn't, when it's first raised and is an issue. If he wants it to work, he's going to have to embrace her as a partner that way and in all ways and it seems to me he's trying to make that transition in his head as he doesn't resist her coming along. In that way he's treating her with more respect than he does any other member of the Batman family or JL. If Batman wants to work alone, he works alone. But Selina is too strong a woman to stay home. She'll be his partner in all things or it won't work out, I'd say. I see Batman really trying to accept and embrace that in this issue and, to me, it shows so much character development on his part. And how does a writer do that? After 80 years, how does a writer go deeper with Batman or take him to radically new places? And to do while absolutely honoring the character and his history in every way. And Selina's.

Tom King is doing it and it's blowing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Clark: "Vengeance is the night?"
    Bruce: "Up, Up and Away"
    Loved that scene

This was a beautiful issue With a gorgeous art too !
    Superfriends is the right word to describe this issue
    It feels so good to see Batman/Superman friendship in such a warm and heartful way
    I felt EXACTLY the same way. There was so much in this issue. And I badly miss the real, almost blood brother-like, friendship between Superman and Batman. That this issue would say so much about each's insecurities regarding the other, while talking with their true loves, was just magnificent.

That's from a fan that absolutely loved every single issue of the first several decades of World's Finest. I've MISSED these guys being friends. The New 52 took it away from us for good though DKR was the book that inserted the ongoing rift into continuity even though it wasn't an in-contunity book. It had such impact it redefined these guys as less than BFF's. After so many decades when they were.

I am so happy the Superman-Batman friendship is being explored this way, that we're learning so much about it in such a delightfully made comic book (writing and art just beyond reproach to me), and that we're going deeper next issue. The teaser about the next issue being 78 years in the making was so fun to me. Because it has. And King is bringing back their historic friendship or at least re-exploring it after they've been somewhat at odds in a way... Like two people that have to work together but are opposites so never meant to be friends -- the way Bruce and Clark honored each other in their talks with Lois and Selina was just beautiful. And it made me feel like I was reading a REAL DC Comic again because he got the characters, all of them, SO RIGHT. Even if he has his own style.

"Superfriends" was the PERFECT title for this arc and I can't remember when I was so on the edge of my seat waiting for the next issue of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    For spoilers you put [*SPOIL] text here [/SPOIL], just remove the *

Also, this arc has been really good so far! These Batman-Superman interactions make me excited for the arc with Diana.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Gotta love how both Selina and Lois point out how ridiculous Clark's secret identity is XD
    Superman probably has one of the more solid secret identities in superhero comics, since no one knows that he leads a double life. He's a weird, world-famous alien with super powers; there's no reason to believe that he would be cosplaying as a mild-mannered journalist when he's not battling giant robots or keeping together collapsing dams. It would be about as absurd as suspecting that one of your friends, who happens to look quite a lot like Bruce Springsteen, actually IS Bruce Springsteen.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Extraordinary Member

Still not a fan of King's choice to deliberately pursue a staccato dialogue style high on pseudo-poetic stylings.... But it worked here because King used it strictly for humor. Everything about the punchline at the end was great. Especially with Catwoman and Lois reaching over to greet each other.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I actually enjoyed the issue even though he could of pretty much done it in about 11 pages, which is normal for King. Looking forward to seeing the couples spend time together the next issue, see how that plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I always love your posts.

I think that last bit especially is very insightful. In this issue (which I'm not going to worry about spoiling because it's on the shelves and people should probably expect spoilers at this point) we see that Catwoman sees herself as Batman's partner in his mission where he maybe doesn't. Or definitely doesn't, when it's first raised and is an issue. If he wants it to work, he's going to have to embrace her as a partner that way and in all ways and it seems to me he's trying to make that transition in his head as he doesn't resist her coming along. In that way he's treating her with more respect than he does any other member of the Batman family or JL. If Batman wants to work alone, he works alone. But Selina is too strong a woman to stay home. She'll be his partner in all things or it won't work out, I'd say. I see Batman really trying to accept and embrace that in this issue and, to me, it shows so much character development on his part. And how does a writer do that? After 80 years, how does a writer go deeper with Batman or take him to radically new places? And to do while absolutely honoring the character and his history in every way. And Selina's.

Tom King is doing it and it's blowing my mind.
    I love your posts too BatmanJones!

I think Batman does see Selina as a "partner", he always has and that's one of the things that makes her different from other love interests, how HE sees her. I mean don't get me wrong, he has had other team ups with other female friends, love interests or allies BUT over the years, he has always seen Selina (or Catwoman) as this person who could be a partner and works well with him. In fact, he has asked her on a few times to be his partner. Now maybe he doesn't see her as a "Robin" or "Batgirl", lol, but he does sees her as somebody he can work well with in his chosen "profession".

Even in the N52 they have partnered up and they naturally work well together. It's just that sometimes, Batman thinks he can do everything alone. I mean he used to treat Dick Grayson the same way. BUT Bruce is going to have to learn how to open up to people and how he can't just treat certain people certain ways. The way you treat your fiancée is NOT the same way you would treat one of your allies or friends. So that is something Batman is going to have to learn and put into practice.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 12-06-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

It wasn't n52 that made Superman and Batman distant it was post crisis.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Easily one of the strongest chapters of the entire run by far
    The ending was perfect

For fun, here is a link to a Silver Age story regarding Catwoman and Lois Lane! And this is an old comic, from like the 50's!

http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2009/09...lois-lane.html

Lois Lane 70-01-fc.jpg

A great issue! Lois and Selina wanting to get to know one another better, but their other halves decided to drag their feet about the whole thing, with the two groups ending up running into one another anyway. Saw it coming from a mile away (kind of thought Lois and Selina planned it for awhile), but still loved it.

Somewhat disappointed that the sons didn't get a similar little argument going too. But, that's just a nitpick.