Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Question New to Comic Books, Need Superman comic suggestions for Beginners

Whats up guys? I am new to reading comics, I've read a few Batman comics already that you all suggested and loved all the suggestions. I need suggestions for Superman comics for new readers. I grew up watching superman both movies, and cartoons so I do have a general understanding of him if that helps! Thank you!

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Definitely check out.

Superman Birthright

Kingdom Come

All Star Superman

Superman Red Son

Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow

If you're into digital comics, definitely give the Man of Steel run by John Byrne (Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, Alpha Flight, and Avengers) a read.

https://www.readdcentertainment.com/...ECTIONS&lang=1

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I put together a Superman Starter Pack earlier this year that I hope might be helpful.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Superman and the Men of Steel
    Bulletproof
    At The End Of Days - Grant Morrison's Action Comics run, probably the best run on a flagship Superman book

Crossworld
    What Lies Beneath
    Game Over
    Superman Doomed
    Second Chances
    Under the Skin
    Siege
    Truth
    Truth Hurts - Greg Pak's work on Superman

Superman Birthright - The best standard Superman origin story

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel - Get to know Superman's arch-nemesis

Supergirl: Being Super - The best Supergirl origin story

Superman: Up, Up, and Away - A reintroduction to Superman

Last Son
    Camelot Falls Vol 1
    Camelot Falls Vol 2
    Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes - Geoff Johns and Kurt Busiek's work on the character

Superman: Secret Identiy - Someone in the real world gets the powers of Superman

Superman Adventures - Mainly for the Mark Millar issues

New Super-Man - Follows the adventures of the new of Super-Man of China

All-Star Superman - Considered by many to be the greatest Superman story ever

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Codyking13 View Post
    Whats up guys? I am new to reading comics, I've read a few Batman comics already that you all suggested and loved all the suggestions. I need suggestions for Superman comics for new readers. I grew up watching superman both movies, and cartoons so I do have a general understanding of him if that helps! Thank you!
    I would recommend picking up the Rebirth Superman and Action Comics titles and Superman: Lois and Clark. Also, these are amazing Superman stories too:
    -All Star Superman
    -Superman For All Seasons
    -Superman Birthright
    -Superman Secret Identity
    -Superman Kryptonite
    -Superman/Batman Absolute Power
    -Man Of Steel and Superman by John Byrne
    -Kingdom Come
    -Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Action Comics 858-863)
    -Superman by Jeph Loeb (v2 #151-183)
    -Superman Our Worlds At War story
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Most of my favorites (Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Red Son, All-Star Superman, Secret Identity and New Super-Man) got mentioned, but I'm gonna add two more:

What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way- What the film "Superman vs the Elite" was based on.

Supergirl (1996): The best Supergirl book of all time and it's not even close. You can get the first trade paperback of this series here- https://www.amazon.com/Supergirl-Boo...supergirl+1996

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    All-Star Superman - Considered by many to be the greatest Superman story ever
    I know I do. It's quite amazing
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I had no idea they collected The Superman Adventures into trades! I LOVED the animated series as a kid.......maybe even better than Batman TAS.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I put together a Superman Starter Pack earlier this year that I hope might be helpful.
    This is pretty perfect.

If you're looking for more than just Superman himself, I'd recommend the current Supergirl run by Steve Orlando. It's my favorite book coming out of the Superman line right now, and it does the best of channeling stuff like All-Star.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Codyking13 View Post
    I love that different people make getting into Superman threads, so I try to let the threads suit their interests particularly instead of being generic recommendation threads which we have stickied.

Which things in particular did you like seeing and would want to see?

Astonishing Member

Apparently no love for Earth One. lol.

BANNED

I would try to track down "Executive Action", one of the tie-ins to Armageddon 2001. It's a cracking take on a "President Supe" concept.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah. For a new reader there are some cool stand alone stories to get into Superman, but only so much in easy trades. The current Rebirth Deluxe trades collect a large chunk of the current comics as they were beginning, so they're very new reader friendly and have some pretty good issues in their variety.

"World's Finest" by Dave Gibbons and Steve Rude is must reading for Batman and Superman together, I think. "Dark Knight Over Metropolis" is a trade that neatly collects some core Batman and Superman team up stuff. Batman/Superman was a comic that ran just a few years ago, and the first storyline was really cool. Other than those and the things everyone else points out, I'd recommend Man of Steel volume 9 for a number of fun stories (especially if you remember characters like Turpin from the animated series, if that was your cartoon reference) and the capital Z Zod story.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Haven't seen American Alien recommended yet. I haven't read it yet myself (the new softcover is near the top of my list for my next spending spree), but it has been VERY well received. I hate to give Max Landis credit for anything due to how obnoxious he can be, but it sounds like he could walk the walk in this case.

Superman does well with self contained out of continuity tales. We really need a lot more of those with top talent on them.

Mighty Member

-All Star Superman

-Superman: Red Son
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/