Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    As much as I like Blade... I hated the idea of him having a daughter. Just another way to push a main character out of the way for another legacy character. Blade is by nature the 'loner' type who, while often a part of a group, hates and resents the other members of that group. Making him the 'dad' seems stupid to me. And frankly going the teenage girl route just felt like a Buffy Clone.

I'm glad that book died... now I want someone else to pick up the Blade character and run with it.
    I agree with this.

I also want to say that certain politics that are present in this thread is what killed a diverse character that a potential writer who is a minority could writer later on if not initially. Funny how those who think they are fighting for a "cause" end up creating more problems then actually helping.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Being a loner doesn't mean he can't also have lovers. Nor does it mean that he couldn't have gotten one of them pregnant. And it doesn't mean that, upon learning he has a daughter, he wouldn't choose to spend time with her.
    Yeah... it kind of does. Blade has always been a very... singly focused kind of bastard. He doesn't have time to deal with kids and won't waste time holding the hands of rookies. He barely tolerates working with experienced monster-hunters. Family would be a weakness his enemies could exploit or a distraction that could get him killed. Anyone that Blade actually DOES care about... are better off FAR away from him and his war.

There are a lot of characters out there that can mysteriously have a new kid show up and would embrace family time and see crime fighting as a bonding period... but Blade isn't one of them.

Worse yet, they'd insist on giving her some kind of funky dhampir powers when A) She would be 2nd-3rd generation dhampir at best and should be quite diluted... and B) Blade wasn't a 'Daywalker' till the comics started copying the movies in 1998.

So yeah... pretty much nothing about that pitch appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I agree with this.

I also want to say that certain politics that are present in this thread is what killed a diverse character that a potential writer who is a minority could writer later on if not initially. Funny how those who think they are fighting for a "cause" end up creating more problems then actually helping.
    Or, you know, Marvel could cut the **** and just hire more diverse creators now, rather than some vague idea that maybe some day they might throw a black woman a writing job, maybe, at some point in the undetermined future.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah... it kind of does. Blade has always been a very... singly focused kind of bastard. He doesn't have time to deal with kids and won't waste time holding the hands of rookies. He barely tolerates working with experienced monster-hunters. Family would be a weakness his enemies could exploit or a distraction that could get him killed. Anyone that Blade actually DOES care about... are better off FAR away from him and his war.
    You know he was introduced as having a girlfriend, right? And I'm pretty sure he's had at least a couple other love interests over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    You know he was introduced as having a girlfriend, right? And I'm pretty sure he's had at least a couple other love interests over the years.

Of course. He's had a couple girlfriends over the years and they never end well. Either they get killed by Vampires or he takes off. He's not the white picket fence kind of guy. He's not interested in a family. Never has been. He's 100% going to get his head ripped off one of these days by a Vampire and wants to take as many down before that happens. If he DID find out that he had a daughter with Saffron or someone else that he cared about... he wouldn't try to get her daughter killed by joining the war. Because... everyone he works with dies and most come back as vampires that he has to kill.

So whether he won't hold the rookies hand and let her slow him down... or whether he wants to protect her from the life he leads... Either way they play it he's not going to be 'Whistler/Quincy Harker to the next generation'.

eh next thing you know Blade is gonna die and she is gonna replace him and they'll say "she is better" than him a la Riri Williams, X-23, female Bloodstone, etc.... Whole concept is so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    the funny thing about this statement is that "white boy"s arent the ones complaining about matching race, etc to the characters. This thread shows is the diversity militant, which love to point this out all the time about Bendis.
    Look! CBR just did it, too!

pointed to Brian Michael Bendis’ writing of Riri Williams because he has a black daughter, but that’s the exact problem. There’s no replacement for those lived experiences,

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    eh next thing you know Blade is gonna die and she is gonna replace him and they'll say "she is better" than him a la Riri Williams, X-23, female Bloodstone, etc.... Whole concept is so boring.
    Except both Laura and Elsa earned their Stripes to carry on the Legacy.