Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I think the Morlocks do not see themselves as hiding and view themselves more of the types that do not fit into society, and inhabit a area that is far enough away from everyone else put still close enough to serve their needs. Some Morlocks may rather live in the tunnels with others that have similar complications because of their mutant abilities.

Also the Morlocks may appeal to others in the Marvel U that are seeking refuge could lead to potential stories.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I dont think the Morlocks are still there.

Some former ones are still alive, like Masque and Callisto. But they are not tunnel dwellers anymore.

Is Erg still living? I remember hearing he died as well, but never saw it myself.

Most Morlocks were killed by the Marauders and later by Mikhail Rasputin.

Beautiful Dreamer was killed by Leaper Queen.
    I believe in Cullen Bunn recent run of Uncanny X-men some Morlocks were still present in the tunnels while the whole T-mist debacle was ging on. I believe Callisto also mentioned that some humans were also present among them.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Morlocks were always very favorites of mine, and I felt very bad for them too. In the beginning X-Men showed awfully racist and snobbish towards them, then paternalistic --not much better. It is true, though, that Callisto manipulated Morlocks badly, but anyway they were as a giving finger to society and it made me feel secretly satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by planetxmen View Post
    The Morlocks didn’t actually have a high opinion of the X-Men, they thought them no different than normal humans because of their lifestyle. I mean, they have a point. They live in a giant mansion in upstate New York.
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Cause the X-Men are a bunch of hypocritical, asinine neoliberals.
    ^ And this. A bit exaggerated, but partly true also.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Based on you post I'm under the impression you've never read UX-Men #148, UX-Men #169-170, or Marvel Team-up #135...
    Yes we've read them (well...MTU not in my case). Just maybe we understand them in different ways, because I agree with planetxmen. The contradiction is explitly laid out in those issues, and some X-Men felt guilty about the Morlocks --for example, Kitty at the end of UXM #148 is thinking about her unfair behaviour towards Nightcrawler, who is 'horrible' as Caliban.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 12-04-2017 at 06:03 AM.

I forget, but were the mutant Mauraders former Morlocks that ran away and joined with Sinister against the rest?

Unglaublich!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I forget, but were the mutant Mauraders former Morlocks that ran away and joined with Sinister against the rest?
    No. Vertigo was a former Savage Land Mutate, but none of the Marauders have been revealed as former Morlocks.

If any of them were, they wouldn't have needed Gambit to show the team how to gain access to the Tunnels.

BANNED

if they weren't in the tunnels they'd no longer BE morlocks

Fantastic Member

In the Morlocks mini, Shatter says to his unofficial Morlocks group that "There's mutants out there slicing and dicing each other. You've heard all about it. But they have it all wrong. We're a single people. We need to protect each other." On the other hand, later Angel Dust leaves to rejoin her family and the leader Postman expresses that he hopes there aren't more Morlocks out there.

Another question is why Storm seems to care so little about them. Wasn't she their queen for a time? You'd think she would have tried to elevate their standard of living somehow, especially considering that the vast majority of the X-Men seem to lack real jobs and are somehow endlessly wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    i want to know, if x men is about acceptance and be proud of who you are,
    why the morlocks hide all the time, why they dont become x men,
    and should they be more appreciated by the x-fans ?
    i have always thought that they should have more importance and the x men should help them in some way,
    i feel bad for them
    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Cause the X-Men are a bunch of hypocritical, asinine neoliberals.
    This makes no sense. It's not the X-men that are forcing the Morlocks to hide. And there are plenty of X-men that can't pass for human so there is no evidence the X-men have anything to do with the Morlocks hiding.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

There are a lot of misconceptions and forgotten tidbits about the Morlocks.

One: Many of them were not disfigured to begin with, Masque actually disfigured many of them as a 'jumping in' sort of initiation.

Two: They chose to live a life as rebels in their own counterculture because they despised mainstream society.

Three: They refused to join the X-Men in the mansion of their own accord.

Four: Later stories retconned their origins as being experiments of Dark Beast, who was transported to "20 years in the past" (along with Sugar Man, who is responsible for the Genoshan mutate process) after the events of AoA and it was he who was responsible for their various grotesque forms. In this telling Sinister ordered the cleanse of them by the Marauders in order to stamp out Apocalypse's work in this timeline!

Five: There are Morlock enclaves in other large cities, and there is also an offshoot of those descended from Mikal Rasputin's clutch in another dimension, some of whom where relocated to M'Jnari's village in Kenya.

Overall, I think the Morlocks represent extremely marginalized peoples, including the homeless, the differently-abled, etc, etc. who are outcasts in the truest sense. The idea of them being responsible for their own condition, or them being the result of direct experimentation by outside forces, or just a symptom of a corrupt society's is up for debate, and has been variously postulated in the comics themselves.

The X-Men have ranged in presentation from the O5, who were ashamed of their powers and really wanted to hide[their mutations] and join mainstream society to the more utilitarian ANAD(epitomized in Piotr's 'if I have such powers does it not belong to the State?' and Ororo's 'Save your beasts, you need them more than I. I shall help you.') to the more post-human/visionary Morrison X-Men(mutants will show you foolish humans the next stage of evolution), to the more protracted, insular supremacist Utopia X-Men(mutants must be saved at any cost).

Overall, superhero comics do tend towards preserving the status quo as opposed to pushing for real social evolution, but the X-Men are by no means more guilty of that than any other team. Everyone is just trying to live in a cruel world, in whatever way they feel is best. For Morlocks that meant living in a bomb shelter under NYC in some post-industrial sewer-punk tribe. For the X-Men that meant being a superhero team acting out of a mansion.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    Another question is why Storm seems to care so little about them. Wasn't she their queen for a time? You'd think she would have tried to elevate their standard of living somehow, especially considering that the vast majority of the X-Men seem to lack real jobs and are somehow endlessly wealthy.
    Storm's first act as leader of the Morlocks(after freeing Angel, which was the whole reason they were down there in the first place) was to offer them a place in the mansion. Caliban spoke for the Morlocks and refused outright.

Last edited by yogaflame; 12-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I know it wasn’t part of Claremont’s plan, but I always thought that Storm should have asked Warren to finance plans on expanding the X-mansion by building dormitories on the property and have the Morlocks move there. They could have moved out of the stinky sewers into fresh air, and wouldn’t have to deal with normal humans if they didn’t want to. Plus Warren could have written it all off as charity. And on the upside, it would have been extremely hard for the Marauders to hunt and kill them on the X-Men property.

The Morlocks dont necessarily like the X-men. In the beginning, they stated that Morlocks do not get to pass like X-men do. The most obvious being Nightcrawler and Beast. And Kurt first used the image inducer.

The Morlocks (or some of them) are still alive, M-Plate was hunting them in newest Gen. X title

the Morlocks are gross. I don't blame the X-Men for not inviting them into the mansion. would you want to eat across from Bliss?

or share a room with Meme

leave them in the sewers. and send Eye-Boy.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    There are a lot of misconceptions and forgotten tidbits about the Morlocks.

One: Many of them were not disfigured to begin with, Masque actually disfigured many of them as a 'jumping in' sort of initiation.

Two: They chose to live a life as rebels in their own counterculture because they despised mainstream society.

Three: They refused to join the X-Men in the mansion of their own accord.

Four: Later stories retconned their origins as being experiments of Dark Beast, who was transported to "20 years in the past" (along with Sugar Man, who is responsible for the Genoshan mutate process) after the events of AoA and it was he who was responsible for their various grotesque forms. In this telling Sinister ordered the cleanse of them by the Marauders in order to stamp out Apocalypse's work in this timeline!

Five: There are Morlock enclaves in other large cities, and there is also an offshoot of those descended from Mikal Rasputin's clutch in another dimension, some of whom where relocated to M'Jnari's village in Kenya.

Overall, I think the Morlocks represent extremely marginalized peoples, including the homeless, the differently-abled, etc, etc. who are outcasts in the truest sense. The idea of them being responsible for their own condition, or them being the result of direct experimentation by outside forces, or just a symptom of a corrupt society's is up for debate, and has been variously postulated in the comics themselves.

The X-Men have ranged in presentation from the O5, who were ashamed of their powers and really wanted to hide[their mutations] and join mainstream society to the more utilitarian ANAD(epitomized in Piotr's 'if I have such powers does it not belong to the State?' and Ororo's 'Save your beasts, you need them more than I. I shall help you.') to the more post-human/visionary Morrison X-Men(mutants will show you foolish humans the next stage of evolution), to the more protracted, insular supremacist Utopia X-Men(mutants must be saved at any cost).

Overall, superhero comics do tend towards preserving the status quo as opposed to pushing for real social evolution, but the X-Men are by no means more guilty of that than any other team. Everyone is just trying to live in a cruel world, in whatever way they feel is best. For Morlocks that meant living in a bomb shelter under NYC in some post-industrial sewer-punk tribe. For the X-Men that meant being a superhero team acting out of a mansion.
    You speak so well, yogaflame :-)_

As I said, Morlocks were a giving finger to the world.

However, I don't think anyone's saying that X-Men were guilty of Morlocks' situation, just that they forgot about them pretty soon...till they were slaughtered, then they went to aid them because it was just the natural and decent thing to do.