Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The question then becomes why. For the most part, it wasn't really avoidable. At least not without the power to see the future.
    At the end of the day, these characters operate purely at the whim of the writers who write them.

I was just pushing back at the posters' initial comments with a mirrored response.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JeanGreyForever View Post
    Yeah, it's way more than "not avoidable" when it becomes a running trend that defines a character.
    I love you for this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    I love you for this.
    I'm just telling it how it is.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

one morlock down on tv
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    one morlock down on tv
    And dozens down in GenX. Those poor folks really are Marvel’s “red shirts”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    It's a pattern with Storm. She becomes a leader or figure head with a group and basically abandons them to deal with Xmen stuff.
    Morlocks, the village in Kenya, various other one off groups she made promises to help.
    The same can be said of just about everyone, 'though. It's comics. Discover a new group that's existed just fine for decades? They'll get massacred a dozen times over the next two decades. Find a magical hidden land or society that's existed for centuries? Boom. And Boom. And Boom again.

Since Namor's been in charge of Atlantis, how many times has it been invaded and / or devastated? Since Black Bolt took over as king of Attilan, how many times have they had to move or had their city blown up or he been overthrown in a coup? How many times has the X-mansion been destroyed, after apparently standing un-destroyed the entire lifetimes of Charles father, grandfather and great-grandfather? Howard Stark ran Stark Enterprises for decades. His son took over and it was hostilely taken over by Stane, by Cord, by Fujikawa, etc. The Savage Land has been around for thousands of years, timeless and pristine. And then man came into the forest. Bye, bye dino-Bambi!

The one common factor is that if you've got a monthly series revolving around relentless and never ending cycles of destruction and loss, your marriage / family / company / kingdom / hidden land / sewer dwelling community of outcasts is in for a hard time, because *every* darn writer is going to want to blow it all up again, just like the last writer did...

I don't blame Storm for what happened to the Morlocks. It's the nature of the genre. They were dead when they hit the page. You join the superhero team, or you become an extra, and you eventually die to establish how badass some new threat is going to be. (And, nine times out of ten, that new threat is going to be forgotten a couple years later anyway. What is Scalphunter up to these days? Scrambler? Arclight? Harpoon? The only one still around is Sabertooth, and he was already established before the rest of the Marauders, who, it turns out, were less lastingly relevant than the nameless Morlocks they killed... IMO, the only really memorable thing any of them did was, in Riptide's case, to *die* really memorably! How about that Trevor Fitzroy? Was he worth a finger on Tarot's left hand? A whisker on Catseye's furry face? Nope. He had to kill off some Hellions to portal in a bunch of mutants so dire and forgettable that they didn't even get names, and now he, like them, is gone and forgotten and not a lot of people are clamoring for his return...)

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I'm not saying that you're not partly right, but that's a quite sad view of what comics means to many of us. We like good stories...

I think, some Morlocks (or what's left of em) are either too proud or insecure (because of their physical deformities/mutations) to co-exist with "surface-dwellers". They've been extended several invitations in the past to, not become fully-fledged X-Men, but to reside at the X-Mansion/live alongside the X-Men but have declined for obvious reasons.

On the subject of the Morlocks, I could totally see Marvel, sometime in the future, making a tv series based on their story (perhaps revolving around the Mutant Massacre saga?) A limited comic-book series featuring the remainder of the Morlocks (Callisto, Marrow, Masque, etc.) would also be quite an interesting read tbh.

I feel Gene Nation could've been shone in more sympathetic light
    GrindrStone(D)