Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    How about Sauron? I don't think Ralph's Voldemort or Ian's Palpatine look "normal" compare to Doom.

They don't have to make direct appearance in every movie as well.
    Doom is on another level than any of those. I just don't see that character being convincing in live action. Again, I know I'm in the minority on this board.

My opinion is that Marvel/Disney needs the FF for the FF. Doom is nothing, because he is not playable. Julian McMahon did the role actually pretty well, but comics fans revolted because he wasn't the idiotic over the top character in the comics.

Now, having said that, I think that there is potential in developing Victor von Doom in a stand-alone movie as is currently under consideration and then enveloping him into the larger Marvel universe. The problem there, of course, is that he's being developed for Fox and not Disney.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 12-03-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Doom is on another level than any of those. I just don't see that character being convincing in live action. Again, I know I'm in the minority on this board.

My opinion is that Marvel/Disney needs the FF for the FF. Doom is nothing, because he is not playable.
    How? How is Doom more weird than Sauron, a giant flaming eye?

It really depends on how you write them. I don't see Doom being a big problem compare to many other villains.

BANNED

How? How is Doom more weird than Sauron, a giant flaming eye?

It really depends on how you write them. I don't see Doom being a big problem compare to many other villains.
    That is exactly the problem. The way you write Doom either sounds good to the general audience and out of character to the comic nerds, or in character to the comic nerds and ridiculous to the general audience.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx...doom-crush.jpg

I defy anyone to project this personality in live action in a non-comedic way.

Darkseid and Thawne

That is exactly the problem. The way you write Doom either sounds good to the general audience and out of character to the comic nerds, or in character to the comic nerds and ridiculous to the general audience.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx...doom-crush.jpg

I defy anyone to project this personality in live action in a non-comedic way.
    Can you explain a bit more about what part of Doom made him so difficult to be put on screen?

BANNED

Can you explain a bit more about what part of Doom made him so difficult to be put on screen?
    Talking about oneself in third person is inherently ludicrous and indicative of low IQ. But it is the essence of the character of Doom. Just one example.

The essence of Doom is the overwhelming narcissism. If you take that away, but leave everything else, you end up with a textbook super villain. But if you keep that, with everything else or not, you end up with a cartoon.

Make no mistake, I'm a big fan of Doom. But the comic version has no chance of success in live version. Doom takes comic characters to the very edge. But that edge is further than a real person can be seriously taken.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 12-03-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Talking about oneself in third person is inherently ludicrous and indicative of low IQ. But it is the essence of the character of Doom. Just one example.

The essence of Doom is the overwhelming narcissism. If you take that away, but leave everything else, you end up with a textbook super villain. But if you keep that, with everything else or not, you end up with a cartoon.

Make no mistake, I'm a big fan of Doom. But the comic version has no chance of success in live version. Doom takes comic characters to the very edge. But that edge is further than a real person can be seriously taken.
    I think that could be handled well with right script and good acting.

BANNED

I think that could be handled well with right script and good acting.
    I agree, but not with that level of narcissism. Which goes back to my original point. You can satisfy the fans, or the general audience. You can't really do both with Doom.

I agree, but not with that level of narcissism. Which goes back to my original point. You can satisfy the fans, or the general audience. You can't really do both with Doom.
    Good actors could handle narcissism very well, I have the confidence.

BANNED

Good actors could handle narcissism very well, I have the confidence.
    As a part-time actor with professional training, I can tell you this is true.

But not Doom-level narcissism. That is beyond acting. It is not realistically possible to project that sort of personality with a credible threat at the same time.

Palpatine, and both movie Jokers were very over-the-top, and worked.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Palpatine, and both movie Jokers were very over-the-top, and worked.
    Palpatine and both movie Jokers were nowhere near what fans demand of an accurate representation of Doom.

Let's go back to topic, Doom is not the only guy related.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

With regards to Superman, Lex Luthor should always have his hand in something. Brainiac could be huge, too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp
    I dunno. As described, this feels like one movie to me.

the trouble with this type of story telling is thing can get very soap opera like, what has worked in some times in fanatsy scifi is clever well paced story telling and revealing at the right time, there is an art to it like making a music album or doing stand up comedy on stage. Maybe there are interesting examples Fictonal Novels Robert E. Howard', George R Martin, Tolkien LOTR, or maybe classic Greek, Asian mythical tales or the whole Arthurian Merlin Morgana thing or scifi Novels the whole Ragnarok death of Asgard thing? the Q Entity and Borg? the Vorlons and Shadows of Babylon-5. The whole Bond Dr No head of S.P.E.C.T.R.E thing? or maybe Tyrel corp in Blade Runner? Teen Titans starts with a shadowy Chessmaster and you have the Matrix movies and Bourne series. Supernatural show kinda does it with the whole big boss demon sub plot thing but I have't watched that much and its like 12 seasons, also a tv Series called Leverage? The whole 24 terrorism, detective, secret agent plots with Jack Bauer would tie to other eps or seasons, again I have not watched much. Farscape a scifi show had some massive reveals with a villain Scorpius and of course you have the Vader/Emperor thing in Star Wars or with shows and characters like Magneto and tv Deathnote, Westworld you see how they became the villain.

The trouble is if you drag the story or movies on too long it becomes a soap opera, if the reveals are done bad they will feel its a poor finish where the third of the trilogy always fails. I kinda like the Captain America movies as one of the best series of comic films, super solider in WW2, ties to the Avengers, next you have this whole big fascist Hydra or the whole Global U.N secret soldier registration whatever way you look at it. Maybe the Cap movies are one of the best pay offs in regards to big story reveal?
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.