Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would an Old Republic film trilogy work?

A lot of Rian Johnson's latest interviews seem to indicate that the new trilogy he's working on after the "sequel trilogy" wraps up will be something stand alone.

Could it perhaps deal with the Old Republic? Not necessarily say, an adaptation of the games/Tales of the Jedi/Dawn of the Jedi/Darth Bane material maybe, but perhaps something new based on what we know from the films/cartoons canon etc-that the Jedi and the Sith once had an ancient war of some sort, which reduced the Sith-who once "ruled the galaxy"-to the rule of Two. Such a series could also explore some of the material Disney's added to the canon; the "First jedi temple" could perhaps come into play, although presumabely in a better state (...and I'm guessing we're going to learn a lot more about that in a few weeks)-or the Disney canon version of Malachor. Maybe even the Knights of Ren and whatever Snoke came from, if they're relevant somehow.....and of course, maybe one of those KOTOR Sith Lords could be put back into canon. (Except for Bane, he's pretty much already still canon anyway).

It's kind of what some fans wanted to see in the prequels-massive armies of Jedi vs Sith, instead of the Jedi vs. Robots stuff that we got......(I think that's in part why KOTOR appealed to fans in the first place as well.)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I wouldn't mind something like that, or even further back a movie about the first people to use the force.

To be totally honest, I've always found the Old Republic era to be one of the least interesting timeframes in the franchise; it was too removed from the movies for my tastes and on top of that, the same-iness of the setting to the later eras kind of made it seem more like a generic knockoff than a different branch of the franchise's timeline (although I do love the the Legends Knight Errant stuff, so it can be done well).

Conversely, at some point, the films do need to go beyond the main three trilogies and be more than just about the Skywalkers and the heroes and villains of that timeframe and the Old Republic would be a viable way to do that. However, please make it actually feel like a different time and place, one thing Legends Old Republic really failed to do.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Oddly, I have come to realise I find the actual movies to be some of the least interesting parts of the Star Wars saga.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    To be totally honest, I've always found the Old Republic era to be one of the least interesting timeframes in the franchise; it was too removed from the movies for my tastes and on top of that, the same-iness of the setting to the later eras kind of made it seem more like a generic knockoff than a different branch of the franchise's timeline (although I do love the the Legends Knight Errant stuff, so it can be done well).

Conversely, at some point, the films do need to go beyond the main three trilogies and be more than just about the Skywalkers and the heroes and villains of that timeframe and the Old Republic would be a viable way to do that. However, please make it actually feel like a different time and place, one thing Legends Old Republic really failed to do.
    On a visual level, I feel that the first couple of "Tales of the Jedi" series managed to sort of have this kind of look, of a sort of "Bronze age" Star Wars, although one still with sci-fi trappings. Still, there were some nice touches, like in one of the series the lightsabers had to be 'charged' via a secondary power source. Same with "Jedi vs. Sith" (The Bane comic) which gave it a sort of medieval/fantasy look. The "Knights" games sort of just went with something far closer to the films and tossed that out, kind of.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

If it's Old Republic related I'd love for it to focus on the bad guys since they tended to be the ones with the most going on. Malgus was my first thought which might give some visuals linking to Vader which would help ease the audience in.

However I'd be interested in following Malak over Revan. What drives evil is something I'd be interested in watching especially given that Malak can emote which is something Vader couldn't, and Kylo has to remove his helmet for. Not to mention Malak's injury is a disgusting reveal especially in light of Revan being largely fine. Following somebody on the other side of the fence sounds like a good idea to me with Battlefront 2 falling on its face.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I'm all for a KOTOR trilogy, which is why it's not going to happen.

Of course it could work. It's a great setup and one pretty easy to sell really.

It could work if it's doen right. That of course is not exactly easy. It's something you have to be careful doing.

It would work, but the more I think about it the more I'm interested in moving ahead. Multiple generations. Instead of a galaxy permeated by the Old Republic and the old Jedi Order, its instead the New Republic and a yet untouched upon new Jedi Order. There's tons of material on the old. Let's explore and contrast the new.

That said I wouldn't be upset if it was set further back in the past. Any era far removed one way or another is fine with me.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I would be interested in seeing an Old Republic Era Trilogy. The Jedi vs Sith War and the beginnings of the Republic. I think that would be awesome, but it Just need the right director and enough space from Disney overlords tho for it to be something truly special.

I wish! I loooooved Tales of the Jedi.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Amazing Member

Anything can work if it's well written. Massive Jedi vs Sith battles just for the sake of a giant melee with lightsabers would be doomed to failure. You have to have a story that that situation makes perfect sense in.

Empty is thy hand!

I don't trust Disney to do it right. If you really love the original EU stuff, you'd be better off if Disney doesn't touch it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    I don't trust Disney to do it right. If you really love the original EU stuff, you'd be better off if Disney doesn't touch it.
    It's still Lucasfilm that is making the movies.

And I trust them far more than I do George Lucas.