Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default So...Why doesn't DC make series for HBO?

Sort of long post incoming:

I've recently seen some comparison between the CW shows and the Marvel Netflix universe, and basically how the Arrowverse is kinda outclassed. However, I think such a comparison is misguided, sort of like comparing apples to oranges, or more specifically, like comparing broadcast to cable. Now, Netflix isn't really cable, but streaming services appear to have similar leeway in terms of content. So, on both streaming and cable shows, you can show cursing, nudity, graphic violence, and basically more mature content. This, in contrast to broadcast shows, which are subject to regulation by the FCC and can't show those things. So, unlike Charlie Cox or Jon Bernthal, Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin can't really curse too much like a normal person would, or be shown in graphic or obscene situations, or act in any sort of way that'd be deemed too mature.

In other words, the CW Arrowverse shows and the Netflix Marvel shows play by different rules. It'd be more apt to compare the Arrowverse to Marvel shows on abc like Agents of Shield or Agent Carter or...Inhumans. But that got me thinking. As we all know, Time Warner is the parent company of WB and therefore of DC Comics. You know what else Time Warner owns? HBO. You know, the HBO that is a known provider of mature and quality content like Game of Thrones, Big Little Lies, the Wire, Oz, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc. The HBO that almost always cleans up at the Emmys every year. That HBO.

So, why doesn't Time Warner decide that it might be a good idea for HBO to make some series featuring DC characters. That way, they could be as mature as the Netflix stuff, just as gritty, just as grown up, and likely just as good. Let the CW shows appeal to their audience, and for those who want a more mature take, make some HBO series centered around classic DC characters. Imagine what Nighwing or Vigilante or Etrigan would look like in an HBO DC-verse like Marvel's Netflix universe. Imagine an HBO Lobo miniseries. They could even set it in the same continuity as the DCEU movies...if they wanted.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-04-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

There have been rumors of WB working on DC shows for HBO. Not sure of the particulars, but it's being discussed at least.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

I think an HBO series would be the best option for Watchmen, V For Vendetta, or All Star Superman. When we got adaptions of these, the story felt too compressed and rushed for me. I think you could do a great version of these where the story can flow much more organically. A 10 episode run without commercial breaks or network standards would be great for a longer but finite comic series.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I think an HBO series would be the best option for Watchmen, V For Vendetta, or All Star Superman. When we got adaptions of these, the story felt too compressed and rushed for me. I think you could do a great version of these where the story can flow much more organically. A 10 episode run without commercial breaks or network standards would be great for a longer but finite comic series.
    Your idea about the format is excellent but let's not rehash stuff that has already been done. Let's move on already do some new stuff. Rehashing just leads to constantly retelling Supermans origin. Now the proposed Krypton series like Gotham which does include some aspects of Batman's origin I could go for. Krypton as I understand it takes place well before Kent's birth which sounds very cool to me. I would love to see Adam Strange or Legion of Superheroes. This is the only format LoS would work in.

Extraordinary Member

As to the Watchmen pilot, I think it’s great, but I’m more so talking about stuff set in the DC universe. Not just a DC property. Watchmen are great but they’re not really part of the main DCU (recent events in Rebirth notwithstanding).

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So, why doesn't Time Warner decide that it might be a good idea for HBO to make some series featuring DC characters. That way, they could be as mature as the Netflix stuff, just as gritty, just as grown up, and likely just as good. Let the CW shows appeal to their audience, and for those who want a more mature take, make some HBO series centered around classic DC characters. Imagine what Nighwing or Vigilante or Etrigan would look like in an HBO DC-verse like Marvel's Netflix universe. Imagine an HBO Lobo miniseries. They could even set it in the same continuity as the DCEU movies...if they wanted.
    Just to make clear that I absolutely disagree with the notion of grittiness = grown up.

But I get what you're saying.

So let's go: One of the reasons CW is outclassed by MarvelFlix is budget. The amount of money per episode thrown their way differs greatly, which is made even more glaring by the fact that the shows with less money are also the ones who need more special effects. But this reflects in everything v(writers, cast - even though CW does have some amazing actors) and so on.

That said, and this isn't s public as we'd wish, Time Warner management structure seems to be one of the most bureaucratic in Hollywood. A whiule ago, someone asked Dan Didio something about cartoons, and he gave a really long explanation about how many people would have to give an ok and how despite everybody belonging to the same parent company, cartoon had the final say on some DC **** even though it didn't make sense and etc. Long story short: WB doesn't have it's **** together regarding this properties, and apparently doiesn't even have final say in what goes or doesn't go in HBO's.

So, it's corporation BS, mostly. But I agree with you that they absolutely should.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Because HBO tries to make good TV and superheroes don't make good TV
    BB

CW shows actually feel like superhero shows.

Netflix shows doesn't, they feel like an episode of True Detective with superheroes in them.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Your idea about the format is excellent but let's not rehash stuff that has already been done. Let's move on already do some new stuff. Rehashing just leads to constantly retelling Supermans origin. Now the proposed Krypton series like Gotham which does include some aspects of Batman's origin I could go for. Krypton as I understand it takes place well before Kent's birth which sounds very cool to me. I would love to see Adam Strange or Legion of Superheroes. This is the only format LoS would work in.
    Wow, I finally found someone else excited about Krypton. Yeah, I can't wait for Adam Strange and Hawkwoman in the show.

Spectacular Member

If they do do a series I hope they go obscure for their characters, I love the fact that the cw is made on the backs of dc's b and c-list heroes.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It's not possible to do All-Star Superman on tv.

I think the more apt comparison to the Arrowverse is the movie MCU more then the Netflix shows, honestly.

I would love to see a Midnighter series on HBO.

A Question series. The only real "question" is can a mask be developed that will look cool. There's human drama, political intrigue, sex, violence, media commentary through Vic Sage's work. Go with the Randian original outlook, an O'Neil growth theme, or use the conspiracy enthusiast. Or combine all three somehow. This idea is full of potential.