Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think that considering all the many hands that have written characters like Hal over the years, if you're looking for "subtle" characteristics, you'd have to center in on specific runs from a writer since that's the kind of stuff that varies the most when a new hand is at the helm. Marv Wolfman had Hal make pop culture references, O'Neil gave Hal a preference for Dixieland music, someone decided that Hal never flies with his ring because that would take away his edge behind the stick, Johns decided to make Hal a himbo who has one-night stands, etc... Not all of these things stick, but they showed that various writers attempted that kind of nuance at various points.
    Yeah, that's a problem with characterization in this industry; its subject to constant change. And Hal's inconsistent publication history doesn't help. But Ive noticed that, at least with Superman, there are certain things that stick often enough to be considered *mostly* solid parts of the character. Like, for example, Clark is a habitual liar. He lies about things he doesn't need to on a regular basis. Sometimes its lies of omission, like how he never told anyone he was building a whole world in a pocket of the Phantom Zone and accidentally "lost" a million people. Sometimes its direct lies he tells because he convinces himself it's "for the best" like when he lied to his wife about his powers acting strangely.

So I guess I should've asked what people's preferred traits were, or what traits they think Hal should/could have.......

I would think that Batman fans argue about whether or not the man is really Bruce Wayne, Batman, or someone in between - the Bruce in the cave who has his costume on, mask off. . I think they'd also argue whether or not he's crazy (i.e. is he still a little boy angry over the death of his parents or is he actually adjusted and fights crime from a more altruistic place?) and whether or not they like the whole "Batgod" persona....
    Yknow, those are solid points to argue over.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Absolutely Sodam, and three stories proves this, Omega Men, Renegade and Red Lanterns, what are the key things of these story a huge shakeup for the Lanterns featured they're taken out of their comfort zones and thrust into something new, fans would say why cant John Stewart have focused stories like this but the true is he can but because of the backlash they might receive it doesnt happen. I truly believe John Stewart's Star Sapphire plot line never continued because of this, that it was dropped as it would probably mean him abandoning the green ring and finding the true purpose of the love that powers his ring unlike the other star wielders, but doing that risk fans seeing it as means of removing John from the GL to promote the others.

And its not personal.
    When I think about it now, I do think DC would be at most hesitant to killing off John Stewart over the other guys, including Hal. It's been said that DC editorial allowed writers the opportunity to kill off Kyle Rayner around the New 52.

I personally wouldn't mind John Stewart getting killed off based off on Van Jensen's run along with the creative team for the other books. Based on the spotlight John received along with his developments, I have confidence he would come back soon.

It's a shame no writer really capitalize off of John's Star Sapphire ring. So much potential there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Absolutely Sodam, and three stories proves this, Omega Men, Renegade and Red Lanterns, what are the key things of these story a huge shakeup for the Lanterns featured they're taken out of their comfort zones and thrust into something new, fans would say why cant John Stewart have focused stories like this but the true is he can but because of the backlash they might receive it doesnt happen. I truly believe John Stewart's Star Sapphire plot line never continued because of this, that it was dropped as it would probably mean him abandoning the green ring and finding the true purpose of the love that powers his ring unlike the other star wielders, but doing that risk fans seeing it as means of removing John from the GL to promote the others.

And its not personal.
    Lost Army could have been this for John. The Corps were scattered in a universe that wasn't their own. Some of the rules were different. John stepping up and leading the Corps through this unexplored universe could have been the best of him. But the run was stopped halfway through with nothing in the way of answers, taken over by a new storyline that felt more familiar.