BANNED

Default Should Disney have adapted the Thrawn saga and could they ?

We've seen Disney adapt stories into their own way. I mean Lucasfilm could have adapted the entire Thrawn saga into modern day. If was head of Lucasfilm I would use more from the standard expanding universe world and not try to rely on the old.

I mean given the mess that is coming from after Episode 9 and how certain actors and actress for the current triology don't even know their own character fates in the end...I mean why not adapt the Thrawn saga into modern cannon.

At least someway to give fans of the expanding universe a "TRUE " NEW HOPE to look forward into the future of Star Wars and stop rely heavenly on the old brand.

What do you think of this as Star Wars fans and fans of the former Expanding Universe ?

BANNED

They absolutely could have but they really shouldn't have.
    You don't spend 5 billion on a franchise and then handcuff you to 15 years worth of soap opera plot that the fans already have read.

Also, I don't think the Thrawn trilogy translates well into a 6-8 hour trilogy of movies.

I mean given the mess that is coming from after Episode 9 and how certain actors and actress for the current triology don't even know their own character fates in the end...I mean why not adapt the Thrawn saga into modern cannon.
    What mess that is coming after Episode IX? I don't get it.

And why on earth would the actors know how the story is going t play out? That's just begging for massive plot leaks years before you even start to make the movie.
    Last edited by Carabas; 12-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    They absolutely could have but they really shouldn't have.
    You don't spend 5 billion on a franchise and then handcuff you to 15 years worth of soap opera plot that the fans already have read.

Also, I don't think the Thrawn trilogy translates well into a 6-8 hour trilogy of movies.

What mess that is coming after Episode IX? I don't get it.

And why on earth would the actors know how the story is going t play out? That's just begging for massive plot leaks years before you even start to make the movie.
    By Mess I mean the idea of some of the actors leaving and that we're finally getting away from the Skywalker saga...however Kathleen Kennedy also states that this isn't the last we hear of Rey and co post- Episode 9.

Besides, what I'm trying to say is that Lucasfilm had a lot of material with the Expanding Universe that they could have use to make new stories instead of cherry picking them. Having Mara Jade be the main star for a new trilogy and only used the Skywalker Saga in terms of flashback references to the past.

Have Thrawn be the main bad guy instead of squeezing him into Rebels history.

Something like that is what I meant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    By Mess I mean the idea of some of the actors leaving and that we're finally getting away from the Skywalker saga...however Kathleen Kennedy also states that this isn't the last we hear of Rey and co post- Episode 9.
    Mess, bestest thing to ever happen to Star Wars movies... YMMV.

Besides, what I'm trying to say is that Lucasfilm had a lot of material with the Expanding Universe that they could have use to make new stories instead of cherry picking them. Having Mara Jade be the main star for a new trilogy and only used the Skywalker Saga in terms of flashback references to the past.
    And they have been cherry-picking from the old EU. They just haven't put your faves into movies.

Have Thrawn be the main bad guy instead of squeezing him into Rebels history.
    Frankly, an episodic tv show plays much better to Thrawn's strengths than a series of movies. And Rebels has used the character wonderfully.

The Thrawn trilogy only takes about five years after ROTJ with everybody still young, Leia pregnant etc. Maybe if a sequel trilogy was done in the 90s, or animated, it would've worked, but other than that I'm not quite sure.

The First Order is a bit like Thrawn's empire, in a sense; hiding away in largely uncharted space, rebuilding themselves in secret, and then striking back big time to reclaim their lost territory....Although Hux/Kylo/Phasma/Snoke are quite different from the Thrawn/Palleon/C'Baoth combo.

....and of course Thrawn has been reworked into Rebels. His origin story (Well, the Empire part of it)-"Mist encounter"-with a bit of reworking by Zahn-is pretty much still canon (and will be covered up in the comic book)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth