View Poll Results: Is Die Hard a Chritmas movie?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

38 88.37%
  • No!

5 11.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Die Hard: Christmas Movie?

We just finished a fun little podcast asking the question.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/132209/60...d-on-christmas

The wierd part is half way through, I found myself and my buddy coming to the inclusion that Die Hard, while being an action film starring and exquisitely despicable but mesmerizing villain, is actually quite a bit less cynical and depressingly than a lot of Hollywood's modern Christmas fare.

What about you guys?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Of course it is.

Ghostbusters 2, Iron Man 3, Batman Returns, Die Hard, and Gremlins are part of my yuletide festivities much to my wife's chagrin.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Spectacular Member

Yes its a Christmas movie .. some people may have different definitions of Christmas movie but a Christmas movie doesn't have to be happy or santa claus like ... an old cult classic Strange Days 1995 doesn't make the cut because too much New Years but you can have a 'dark' Christmas film. Die Hard is one and so is Long Kiss Goodnight, some Tales form the Crypt film? Brazil, Scrooged, In Bruges, the Chinese scifi cyberpunk 2046, Nightmare Before Christmas, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, Lethal Weapon, TokyoGodfathers, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Eyes Wide Shut, 'Iron Man 3', Batman Returns

You also had the dreaded Christmas Special cashcows for example that Lucas StarWars stuff nobody wants to talk about
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.

I don't know anyone who denies that it's a Christmas movie anymore. Sure, it might've been said tongue-in-cheek for years and when it was first released (hey, it came out in July!), but it's been elevated to a sincere tradition on TV and in many households now.

It is now, yep. Like Cyke said, was never intended to be but when something becomes a holiday tradition, I think it qualifies, and Die Hard is a holiday tradition now.

I mean, The Ten Commandments was released in October, is about an Old Testament story, yet its still an Easter movie. Why? Because it became part of the tradition when ABC started airing it every Easter.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Oh yes.

Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Absolutely.

BANNED

In the same sense that Independence Day is a Fourth of July movie...sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Oh yes.

Yippie-Ki-Yay!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

If those sappy Hallmark Christmas movies, - which are all trashy romance novels disguised as Christmas films - count, then so does an action movie like Die Hard.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

Just caught this one, sounds nuts

Exploring Silent Night Deadly Night

Incredible Member

- Takes place on Christmas which is actually integral to the plot.

- Features Christmas music several times throughout the film.

- Hans Gruber is German, bearded, and drops in on Christmas Eve to take gifts for himself rather than deliver them. He's a dark mirror of Santa Klaus.

- John McClane climbs through the ventilation ducts. Not quite a chimney, but close enough. And instead of lumps of coal, he gives the naughty slugs of lead.

- Overarching themes of reconciliation and newfound brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

- Takes place on Christmas which is actually integral to the plot.

- Features Christmas music several times throughout the film.

- Hans Gruber is German, bearded, and drops in on Christmas Eve to take gifts for himself rather than deliver them. He's a dark mirror of Santa Klaus.

- John McClane climbs through the ventilation ducts. Not quite a chimney, but close enough. And instead of lumps of coal, he gives the naughty slugs of lead.

- Overarching themes of reconciliation and newfound brotherhood.
    Goddamn.

If anyone isn't sold on this as a Christmas movie, they should be now.