Eller44

Default Will Star Wars under Marvel ever be as 'new' as dark horse?

I've bought every single star wars comic since marvel has been writing them and I've really enjoy them! However, it seems all the stories tend to play it on the safe side and not really add a whole lot to the star wars universe. Most of it is just filler between the main movies/TV series. I guess what I mean is I wonder if they'll ever tell the story of perhaps old sith legends, or perhaps add some major canon background to already established characters. Dark horse had tons of awesome comics (not always consistent with each other and the main canon) that would dive into really interesting parts of the Star Wars extended universe. Anyway, I'm not really complaing as I do enjoy the stories, but just wondering if others have similar feelings or would like to see maybe some more 'risky' story lines instead of playing it safe with mostly filler stuff for the main characters? I will give the new Darth Vader series a little credit for this as it shows him changing his lightsaber crystal red and hunting down Jocasta Nu which adds some cool canon knowledge.

One think to keep in mind is that when Dark Horse was doing Star Wars and Legends was canon, the movies were an occasional thing. While the films trumped everything in terms of continuity (and the prequels did retcon and decanonize quite a few facts that the tie-ins had established), in the pre-Disney era, the tie-ins were doing the heavy-lifting in terms of advancing the timeline and shaping the larger Star Wars world.

Post-Disney, new movies are becoming a regular thing. The tie-ins no longer have the freedom to tell the Galaxy-changing events or change the course of the franchise, that's the movie's job now. Hence, most of the tie-ins these days are building off the movies rather than creating larger narratives of their own.

Personally, I think that's fine. It works better with the current franchise model (much like Legends worked better with the franchise model then) and it does lessen the possibilities of future continuity errors if a filmmaker wants to tell a story that would've been otherwise covered elsewhere in canon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

And don't forget Doctor Aphra, who became popular enough to warrant getting her own action figure.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And don't forget Doctor Aphra, who became popular enough to warrant getting her own action figure.
    Yeah, I don't think Dark Horse ever had a Star Warsbreakout character like that (although I will concede that the Dark Horse stuff is not my strong suite).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Eller44 View Post
    I've bought every single star wars comic since marvel has been writing them and I've really enjoy them! However, it seems all the stories tend to play it on the safe side and not really add a whole lot to the star wars universe. Most of it is just filler between the main movies/TV series. I guess what I mean is I wonder if they'll ever tell the story of perhaps old sith legends, or perhaps add some major canon background to already established characters. Dark horse had tons of awesome comics (not always consistent with each other and the main canon) that would dive into really interesting parts of the Star Wars extended universe. Anyway, I'm not really complaing as I do enjoy the stories, but just wondering if others have similar feelings or would like to see maybe some more 'risky' story lines instead of playing it safe with mostly filler stuff for the main characters? I will give the new Darth Vader series a little credit for this as it shows him changing his lightsaber crystal red and hunting down Jocasta Nu which adds some cool canon knowledge.
    I've really enjoyed the SCAR squadron issues(https://wp.me/p81uZL-iH https://wp.me/p81uZL-5r), and while they may be filler as far as fitting into the canon story, I felt they did a great job of giving an imperial perspective on the series. That said, if they do some old sith legend stuff I would totally check it out.

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    One think to keep in mind is that when Dark Horse was doing Star Wars and Legends was canon, the movies were an occasional thing. While the films trumped everything in terms of continuity (and the prequels did retcon and decanonize quite a few facts that the tie-ins had established), in the pre-Disney era, the tie-ins were doing the heavy-lifting in terms of advancing the timeline and shaping the larger Star Wars world.

Post-Disney, new movies are becoming a regular thing. The tie-ins no longer have the freedom to tell the Galaxy-changing events or change the course of the franchise, that's the movie's job now. Hence, most of the tie-ins these days are building off the movies rather than creating larger narratives of their own.

Personally, I think that's fine. It works better with the current franchise model (much like Legends worked better with the franchise model then) and it does lessen the possibilities of future continuity errors if a filmmaker wants to tell a story that would've been otherwise covered elsewhere in canon.
    The old EU had 30000 years of playspace. Not really a problem.

Think were just gonna be stuck with filler until at least episode 9 is out, and even then I wouldn't count on it.

There's a committee that approves every story outside the movies. It's safe to say that they won't allow anything that could contradict future movies. Books set in the past might be a possibility once Disney figures out whether they want to film prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    The old EU had 30000 years of playspace. Not really a problem.
    That's true that the franchise did have a lot of leeway in the past. I just don't think that applies now is all.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

In a word? Nope.

Amazing Member

Yeah, I don't think Dark Horse ever had a Star Warsbreakout character like that (although I will concede that the Dark Horse stuff is not my strong suite).
    How about Aalya Secura who not only had her own action figure but was in 2 movies?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Or Quinlan Vos who starred in many comics, was in the movies and cartoons, had his own novel, and had an action figure. He is much better know at this point than most.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 12-11-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Pretty much this. If they are gonna introduce characters as important as Mara Jade or the Solo Twins were back in the Extended Universe they are gonna do that in the Movies now.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    How about Aalya Secura who not only had her own action figure but was in 2 movies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Or Quinlan Vos who starred in many comics, was in the movies and cartoons, had his own novel, and had an action figure. He is much better know at this point than most.

Okay, fair enough about Voss. I knew that Secura was based off a comic book, but I guess I thought that her movie incarnation kinda overwrote the original comics in terms about what defined the character going forward.

Like I said before, Dark Horse Star Wars is not my strong suite (I got into comics in a big way after Marvel took over the license and the only Dark Horse stuff I read is Knight Errant, which I love). Since I was wrong about Dark Horse not having cult characters, mea culpa. Anyone else know of good Dark Horse Star Wars characters that made their mark?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

That's true that the franchise did have a lot of leeway in the past. I just don't think that applies now is all.
    i fail to see why they would radically shrink the age of sentient life in the galaxy from what it was.