Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who Do You Want To Write And Draw A New Fantastic Four Title

With all the rumors of Disney buying out Twentieth Century Fox, there are several threads that discuss the affect this would have on the movies. Instead, I want to talk about the affect on the comics.

As everyone knows, the Fantastic Four title ended in 2015 just as Secret Wars had all titles ending. Fantastic Four did not come back after the story, due to poor sales or the wrath of Isaac Perlmutter or other factors.

Since the acquisition of Fox would lead to the return of the film rights, Perlmutter would presumably no longer veto the comic and reader interest is sure to be heightened due to their lengthy absence. So, a new Fantastic Four title could be soon arriving.

Assuming we get a new FF monthly title, who do you want as the creative team?

I would prefer an old school back to basic approach. My first choice would be Karl Kesel writing and art by Tom Grummett. Kesel has never been the regular writer for FF, but he has written annuals, fill ins, a Human Torch series, FF 2099, and an Amalgam one shot mashup with the Challengers of the Unknown. It's obvious he has love and deep knowledge of the characters.

Also Kesel and Grummett have had long runs on Adventures of Superman and Superboy. They work great together, and Grummett has a style similar to John Byrne, who drew one of the definitive runs of FF.

If Marvel doesn't want to go old school, then Al Ewing would be the best choice to me.

Thought? Opinions?

Extraordinary Member

I would agree with the choice of Kesel. He's clearly one of the biggest FF fans and authorities in the comic book world but he never gets the chance to write them except as a fill-in for some other writer.

The reason he's never gotten the regular gig is that he's not a big enough star as a writer, but how many writers does Marvel even have any more whose name can sell a comic book? Better to pick the writer who loves the family the most.

A comics veteran or bring back Hickman or Robinson. Kesel is a very good idea. No YA authors. Please no YA authors.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Nick Spencer and Steve McNiven

Incredible Member

Jim Starlin and Alan Davis

BANNED

Alan Davis would easily be my first choice on art, but Aaron Kuder would also do a great job. Marvel really has no shortage of talented artists, even if they sometimes hire sub-par ones for certain books.

Writing-wise, the only person Marvel currently have who might be fit to write FF would be Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Nick Spencer and Steve McNiven
    No thanks on Spencer. I’d rather them not become the Fantastic Fourth Reich. McNiven would be good though.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I swore we had a thread maybe a month ago. I believe I had two choices.

The first was Aaron and Ribic.

The other was Al Ewing and Daniel Acuna.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

Dan Slott or Al Ewing, or Dan Slott AND Al Ewing. Not certain about the artist though, but if I were to just throw some wild names out there, Juan Ferreyra, Trevor Hairsine, ACO, and Joe Quinones.

Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos. Slott has experience with writing the Fantastic Four and has shown that he likes writing the types of stories the Fantastic Four are known for. I think Ramos drew the Fantastic Four well when he was working on Amazing Spider-Man.

This might not be a popular opinion, but honestly, I don't care.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Zdarsky/Medina and Ewing/Rocafort would be my picks.

writer- Christopher Priest
    artist- Olivier Coipel

It'd be amazing to see Ewing and Slott co-writing both Fantastic Four and Future Foundation.

I could go lots of different ways for art.

-Pav, who does love Mike del Mundo...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No thanks on Spencer. I’d rather them not become the Fantastic Fourth Reich. McNiven would be good though.
    you must not have read any of his other books. it's like thinking that every Bendis book is going to include Skrulls; just because he wrote Secret Invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    you must not have read any of his other books. it's like thinking that every Bendis book is going to include Skrulls; just because he wrote Secret Invasion.
    Yeah I have read quite a few of his other series. Probably all of his series for Marvel. Only one that I thought had a marginal bit of quality was Superior Foes. Nothing else.