Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There is a certain precedence for it with Baron Strucker creating the Maximoff twins with the Mind Stone. Or you could tie it back to Cold War era efforts by a government to re-create the Super Soldier serum. The Ultimate line did that (as was said) and the films do pull from that imprint a lot.
    Let's not forget that thisis from the craptacular Ultimate Origins mini that flatout contradicted established Ultimates continuity on a bunch of issues, not least of which the nature of Mutants, which was just natural-born Mutants for the first 8 years of the imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't get why so many people think the mutants can't just like... be there. MCU started with a grounded Iron Man, then went for sci-fi, then aliens, then magic. They introduced lots of other elements later instead of since the beginning and there was not really any problem. Mutants have been a secret until now, done.
    My concern about that approach is explaining why and how it's been such a secret for so long.

With other elements they've retroactively introduced, its been fairly small stuff. Hank Pym and Janet worked for SHIELD. Okay. Two people with abilities that are stealth based worked for a shady, secretive agency. Of course no one else knew about that.

We know the MCU has a history of odd urban legends; Captain America, Hulk, etc, who were running around before Tony became Iron Man. But those are isolated incidents.

It's one thing to say that Big Foot has always existed in your fictional setting and no one knew about it or saw it until later on. It's another thing to say there's an entire species of Big Foots (Big Feet?) spread across the globe that have been running around the whole time, but somehow no one noticed.

Im not saying it cant be done. Im just saying it's a much harder thing to introduce than anything we've seen yet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Let's not forget that thisis from the craptacular Ultimate Origins mini that flatout contradicted established Ultimates continuity on a bunch of issues, not least of which the nature of Mutants, which was just natural-born Mutants for the first 8 years of the imprint.
    That is an excellent point.

I'm not overly worried about that anyway, the MCU has been pretty good at knowing which bits to borrow from and which to ignore.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm not overly worried about that anyway, the MCU has been pretty good at knowing which bits to borrow from and which to ignore.
    My thoughts exactly.

People seem to be super worried about how marvel is going to introduce mutants into the MCU. I want to go with the kang/high volutionary/time stone kind of theories that some members of this community have been proposing.

Marvel needs an efficient solution to two problems....role recasting and character introduction. That can be made most effectively in two ways:

Time travel: During avengers 4 something (Kang) happens that alters the past. Creating mutantkind and introducing them in the present. Maybe wiping out inhumans and thus getting a clean slate for that property. We can get a divergent timeline with new actors, and maybe we could see the classic cast ride into the sunset.

Omega level apocalyptic event: Thanos destroys the MCU and other worlds, forcing another being (Warlock) to reform a new one with the gauntlet, with bits and pieces of each one that has been destroyed.

Either way, It's not like marvel will cram all of the xmen characters and mythos all at once in one or two movies. They can play their cards slow and for maximum effect.

That wouldn't work at all in the MCU becuse natural or man-made, Mutants still started to show up around the same period of time: long ago.
    I suppose that would present a problem unless the narrative is changed so mutants only appeared within the last few decades. Of course this would present a problem with mutants like Apocalypse.

There is a certain precedence for it with Baron Strucker creating the Maximoff twins with the Mind Stone. Or you could tie it back to Cold War era efforts by a government to re-create the Super Soldier serum. The Ultimate line did that (as was said) and the films do pull from that imprint a lot.

But does that sort of thing fit the theme of the X-Men? It's all about evolution and homo sapiens and homo sapiens superior trying to live together (or wipe each other out). If the mutants are a product of human experimentation, they don't really have a claim on being the next stage of human evolution, they're just lab rats with delusions of grandeur.

I dunno. The MCU employs some really smart people. Far smarter than I. So Im sure someone could find a way to navigate a merger and make it work. But it seems like a lot of effort just so you can have Wolverine in an Avengers movie. Especially when the multiverse concept is already being put into play in the MCU......
    Not just the twins I believe that the Hulk and Abomination were results of trying to create super soldiers. Not to mention the Winter Soldier program.

Whatever route the people in charge of the MCU decide to take, evolution or experimentation, I'm sure they'll fit mutants in just fine. I won't like it too much but I'll get used to it.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    I suppose that would present a problem unless the narrative is changed so mutants only appeared within the last few decades. Of course this would present a problem with mutants like Apocalypse.
    Apocalypse not existing in any form whatsoever would be a colossal improvement in my book.

But that was thousands of years ago. Could be the MCU had Mutants back then and the Kree (or whatever) wiped them out.

Wouldn't that go completely against the Kree's MO? They're the ones who created the Inhumans.

My concern about that approach is explaining why and how it's been such a secret for so long.

With other elements they've retroactively introduced, its been fairly small stuff. Hank Pym and Janet worked for SHIELD. Okay. Two people with abilities that are stealth based worked for a shady, secretive agency. Of course no one else knew about that.

We know the MCU has a history of odd urban legends; Captain America, Hulk, etc, who were running around before Tony became Iron Man. But those are isolated incidents.

It's one thing to say that Big Foot has always existed in your fictional setting and no one knew about it or saw it until later on. It's another thing to say there's an entire species of Big Foots (Big Feet?) spread across the globe that have been running around the whole time, but somehow no one noticed.

Im not saying it cant be done. Im just saying it's a much harder thing to introduce than anything we've seen yet.
    Didn't Hulk and Iron Man appear at the same time? Their films were out in the same year.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wouldn't that go completely against the Kree's MO? They're the ones who created the Inhumans.
    They were trying to create weapons.
    Inhumans, their number restricted by access to Terrigen are that.
    Mutants, who can just breed? That is not a weapon. That is an infection.

Hmm.
    I can easily see the ancient Kree coming to earth and finding telepathic cavepeople with laser eyes, and their instincts being "Exterminatus, but let's take some samples first and see if we can replicate this in a more controlled manner." Which becomes the Inhumans. Which turned out to be not that great an idea because they rebelled and drove out the Kree.

Extraordinary Member

Or they can retire the Tony Stark,Steve Rogers etcetera characters, and just keep going.
    James Bond movies and continuity do not belong in the same sentence. For starters, he's not old enough to have been a 00 agent during the cold war.

Did they reboot when they brought in aliens and magic? The FF can just slot in. The X-Men are more troublesome, but I bet that they'd rather keep the X-Men in their own little universe if they think including them in the MCU will cause too much trouble. This isn't WB.
    By keep going, all the characters will eventually get phased out due to age & actor contracts.

AFAIK, most people think Bond is the same character, regardless of the actor & era. I assume many people consciously or unconsciously use the sliding time line with Bond.

The aliens were part of phase one. Doctor Strange & magic are not big enough players in the comics or films that would justify any sort of reboot.

I freely admit I like the FF being the one to start it all. Certain X-Men, like Xavier, Wolverine, and Storm, have history with certain Avengers' characters. They don't have too, but I think it would be fun to see some flashbacks. Before the X-Men comic was cancelled, it was revealed that Banner & Xavier worked together.

I'm just throwing out ideals. I trust whatever direction Marvel films go with the FF and X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

It is fun to speculate, but the MCU is run by professionals. I just don't see them making a cluster out of this.

I'm just glad I can enjoy this stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    By keep going, all the characters will eventually get phased out due to age & actor contracts.
    They can be replaced by other characters.

AFAIK, most people think Bond is the same character, regardless of the actor & era. I assume many people consciously or unconsciously use the sliding time line with Bond.
    sliding timeline? he's killed Blofeld twice.

I freely admit I like the FF being the one to start it all. Certain X-Men, like Xavier, Wolverine, and Storm, have history with certain Avengers' characters. They don't have too, but I think it would be fun to see some flashbacks. Before the X-Men comic was cancelled, it was revealed that Banner & Xavier worked together.

I'm just throwing out ideals. I trust whatever direction Marvel films go with the FF and X-Men.
    Well, you don't need a reboot for most of that.

I have this idea of it being more like 'Secret Wars' (2). There would be a post/mid credit scene where Owen Reece, the Molecule Man (SW establishes that Owen is exactly the same in every universe), post his accident is consulting with a doctor on his problems. Doctor: "There's only man I know who can help you. Dr. Victor Von Doom".

Doom's Secret Wars, a next phase movie, shows the Dr and Owen creating a Battle world from all the different (movie) universes, as a way of keeping them fighting each other and finding about his plots. The resolution becomes the new recreated universe with all inhabitants from all movie or TV worlds (well, not Netflix and ABC, right Carabas?)

Extraordinary Member

They can be replaced by other characters.

sliding timeline? he's killed Blofeld twice.

Well, you don't need a reboot for most of that.
    So what happens to the Captain America character after he's replaced by Bucky & Sam? Eventually, the concept will become watered down which is why long running fiction often goes through a "back to basics" approach.

I honestly don't think the average Bond fan puts that much thought into it. Like Doctor Who, I think most casual fans care more about the actor & incarnation of the Time Lord.

You actually conceded that an eventual reboot is necessary.

Just to repeat, I never said when a reboot is needed. I am fine with the stories as they are. Let the stories run their course, as I enjoy them immensely. At some point, it would make sense to reboot the universe, and integrate all their properties at ground zero (as well as bring in new actors to established roles).

I want the Marvel heroes to be like Bond & Doctor Who, where different actors every few years can put their own spin on these great characters, and keep them fresh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    So what happens to the Captain America character after he's replaced by Bucky & Sam? Eventually, the concept will become watered down which is why long running fiction often goes through a "back to basics" approach.
    It gets retired.
    That is what one normally does with characters after a certain point in the story.

You actually conceded that an eventual reboot is necessary.
    I did what now?

I want the Marvel heroes to be like Bond & Doctor Who, where different actors every few years can put their own spin on these great characters, and keep them fresh.
    Bond doesn't really do continuity. Who sort of does continuity but not really since they destroyed Atlantis three times, and on top of that has a built-in mechanism to do this.

I don't care much for Apocalypse myself. Selene, who I do think is pretty cool, at least originally...

would also have this problem. But 'Poccy could be solved, if he is rebooted back into the MCU with X-Men almost simply: Less is more.

So if the X-Men enter the MCU, they won't need to bring Apoc in till after 2, 3 movies. At that point they can say.... Oh my gorsh, the most ancient mutant ever.

Everything about the new, potential universe does not have to be known right from the start. Fore-shadowing and all that.