Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. 2
    Batman: Knightquest: The Crusade Vol. 1
    Batman: Knightquest: The Crusade Vol. 2
    Batman: Knightquest: The Search
    Batman: Knightsend
    Batman: Prodigal
    Batman: Troika
    I have the original three omnibus editions digitally (https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Kn...ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw, https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Kn...ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw, https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Kn...ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw)

I'll be very interested to see what's worth buying to complete the whole saga without doing a complete re-buy. Almost certainly "The Search", but maybe Prelude as well. And I should probably get Azrael, too, even though it's not as high quality as it should be (in terms of reproduction of the art, I mean.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I have the original three omnibus editions digitally (https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Kn...ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw, https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Kn...ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw, https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Kn...ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw)

I'll be very interested to see what's worth buying to complete the whole saga without doing a complete re-buy. Almost certainly "The Search", but maybe Prelude as well. And I should probably get Azrael, too, even though it's not as high quality as it should be (in terms of reproduction of the art, I mean.)
    Well in the original 3 you don't have "The Search" and "Troika" for sure. And probably not the full "Prelude to Knightfall". And I don't know if "Prodigal" was included or was only as a separat trade.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    All in all there will be nine anniversary Trades:

Batman: Prelude to Knightfall
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. 2
    Batman: Knightquest: The Crusade Vol. 1
    Batman: Knightquest: The Crusade Vol. 2
    Batman: Knightquest: The Search
    Batman: Knightsend
    Batman: Prodigal
    Batman: Troika
    Also technically the "Batman Zero Hour" TPB from last year could be slotted in as a 10th volume between the "Knightsend" and "Prodigal" volumes in terms of publication order as it takes place between the two (although this would break up the matching spines so its a choice of personal preference)
    Last edited by JAG2045; 09-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well in the original 3 you don't have "The Search" and "Troika" for sure. And probably not the full "Prelude to Knightfall". And I don't know if "Prodigal" was included or was only as a separat trade.
    Prodigal is in the 3rd 2012 TPB but not Troika and none of the Knightfall prelude except "Vengeance of Bane 1" is in volume 1

Spectacular Member

I just compared the content of the nine announced 25th anniversary paperbacks (according to Amazon) with the content of the most recent omnibus editions.

Looks like content is absolutely identical, with exactly one exception: The second paperback adds Batman: Villains Secret Files and Origins #1.

Incredible Member

I just compared the content of the nine announced 25th anniversary paperbacks (according to Amazon) with the content of the most recent omnibus editions.

Looks like content is absolutely identical, with exactly one exception: The second paperback adds Batman: Villains Secret Files and Origins #1.
    Omnibus 1 included one short story from SF&O as an extra titled "How Bane infiltrated Wayne Manor" showing how he arrived before his battle with Batman so its likely it will just be this story included rather than the whole issue

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Omnibus 1 included one short story from SF&O as an extra titled "How Bane infiltrated Wayne Manor" showing how he arrived before his battle with Batman so its likely it will just be this story included rather than the whole issue
    Just checked it today and the 25th anniversary edition of Knightfall includes the short Bane story from SF&O only rather than the whole issue like in Omnibus 1

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Just checked it today and the 25th anniversary edition of Knightfall includes the short Bane story from SF&O only rather than the whole issue like in Omnibus 1
    Right, identical with Omnibus 1. The short Bane story is the only thing in that issue worth including in any Knightfall collection. I count that short story as "pseudo canon"....a take-it-or-ignore-it lead in, from Bane's perspective, to Batman #497.

Unlike DC, I actually put this SF&O Bane story (really pages) right before #497. I found it to be more worthy than a mere "extra" (that implies it is not canon and not part of the story).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I’ve got the 3 real thick soft cover newspaper editions of Knightfall. Am I missing a lot by not getting the 9 trades? I’d consider just for the better paper quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    I’ve got the 3 real thick soft cover newspaper editions of Knightfall. Am I missing a lot by not getting the 9 trades? I’d consider just for the better paper quality.
    Depends how into Knightfall you are. I'm a huge Batman fan and love Knightfall and so those three were not enough for me. In those three thick editions, Batman The Search is not included, so you never learn how Batman's back goes from broken to healed, that's significant for me. Plus those 3 thick editions leave out big chunks of Knightfall prelude, prelude that Bane (first) appears in (and not just in Vengeance of Bane, but other Prelude issues). So there is a lot these new 9 trades offer.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Depends how into Knightfall you are. I'm a huge Batman fan and love Knightfall and so those three were not enough for me. In those three thick editions, Batman The Search is not included, so you never learn how Batman's back goes from broken to healed, that's significant for me. Plus those 3 thick editions leave out big chunks of Knightfall prelude, prelude that Bane (first) appears in (and not just in Vengeance of Bane, but other Prelude issues). So there is a lot these new 9 trades offer.
    No, it depends what 3 thick editions you have. The lastest version has those preludes and The search, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    No, it depends what 3 thick editions you have. The lastest version has those preludes and The search, and more.
    Mine are from 2012. Ugh.... so much more stuff I want to get before I want to double dip. Not including everything in the initial collected edition really frustrates me.
    Last edited by 2nd line g; 09-13-2018 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    Mine are from 2012. Ugh.... so much more stuff I want to get before I want to double dip.
    I knew which ones you were referring to, because I had bought those in 2012 (and I later used those as the foundation for my custom bind of Knightfall). You could just keep those three and get the new Prelude and The Search trades. Maybe the Troika trade if you want to go that far past Prodigal. That would be a middle ground compromise to avoid purchasing the 9 new trades if you think the three thick editions you have are not enough.

So you could do:
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. One (2012 edition)
    Batman: Knightfall, Vol. Two: Knightquest (2012 edition)
    Batman: Knightquest: The Search (Nov 2018)
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. Three: Knightsend (2012 edition)
    Batman: Troika (comes out in 2019)

One problem (a big one for me) with this and how DC has collected The Search overall is that The Search issues happen intermixed with The Vol 2 or Knightquest The Crusade issues. They should not be totally separated like DC currently does. You're supposed to read The Crusade, then it should jump to some The Search issues, then back to The Crusade, then both The Crusade and The Search end and culminate in Robin #7.

Not including everything in the initial collected edition really frustrates me.
    DC never has and never will 100% properly collect Knightfall, it's proven just too complex for them for some reason. Even these new 9 trades don't put Robin #0 as the first part of Prodigal, which is what it is despite not being labeled that.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-13-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I knew which ones you were referring to, because I had bought those in 2012 (and I later used those as the foundation for my custom bind of Knightfall). You could just keep those three and get the new Prelude and The Search trades. Maybe the Troika trade if you want to go that far past Prodigal. That would be a middle ground compromise to avoid purchasing the 9 new trades if you think the three thick editions you have are not enough.

So you could do:
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. One (2012 edition)
    Batman: Knightfall, Vol. Two: Knightquest (2012 edition)
    Batman: Knightquest: The Search (Nov 2018)
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. Three: Knightsend (2012 edition)
    Batman: Troika (comes out in 2019)

One problem (a big one for me) with this and how DC has collected The Search overall is that The Search issues happen intermixed with The Vol 2 or Knightquest The Crusade issues. They should not be totally separated like DC currently does. You're supposed to read The Crusade, then it should jump to some The Search issues, then back to The Crusade, then both The Crusade and The Search end and culminate in Robin #7.

DC never has and never will 100% properly collect Knightfall, it's proven just too complex for them for some reason. Even these new 9 trades don't put Robin #0 as the first part of Prodigal, which is what it is despite not being labeled that.
    I may want to upgrade the whole thing. I’m not a fan of the paper stock in the ones I have. Thanks for all the info, you’re a great help to an old guy but a newer Batman fan.