Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

By the way, the 3D was pretty cool. Not nearly as impressive as Avengers, but there were some scenes that made excellent use of it.

Welcome back Oldschool. glad you found your way over

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Welcome back Oldschool. glad you found your way over

Thanks, Shaggy; just a busy few days and it took awhile to navigate through the new setup.

Saw it. Liked it.

One thing that the films do really well is create the sense that this is, if not Spider-Man, a particular version of Spider-Man. That if the cameras turned off, he would still be Peter Parker. The best comparison might be Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man, although it's a little bit different since RDJ is essentially playing himself, while Andrew Garfield is a pushing thirty California born Englishman playing a New Yorker born in the 1990s.

I think after this post it should be safe for anyone to talk about spoilers, since there's no major thread for this film.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Saw it. Liked it.

One thing that the films do really well is create the sense that this is, if not Spider-Man, a particular version of Spider-Man. That if the cameras turned off, he would still be Peter Parker. The best comparison might be Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man, although it's a little bit different since RDJ is essentially playing himself, while Andrew Garfield is a pushing thirty California born Englishman playing a New Yorker born in the 1990s.

I think after this post it should be safe for anyone to talk about spoilers, since there's no major thread for this film.
    Maybe you should start a thread to discuss spoilers? It would mean more coming from one of the mods.

(Edit: Oldschool, I like your new avatar.)

Saw it, liked it a lot. Good balance of comedy and tragedy, as is befitting Spidey stories. And Garfield nails the character much better than Toby did.

Critics are ravaging it though which is bound to hurt it on the box office. Personally I can't understand all the hate.

I've already seen it. Much better than the first movie, which I also liked. 9/10.
    "A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step."

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

Do any of you guys who saw and liked it get my point about Electro? I thought his character was terrible, even if one was not going to compare him to the comics version. My wife, who is pretty fair as she doesn't read the comics but sees every comic movie with me, agreed that the Jamie Foxx character was akin to the Ah-Nald Mr Freeze from the Batman and Robin movie. Apart from that one very big turnoff, I thought it was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Maybe you should start a thread to discuss spoilers? It would mean more coming from one of the mods.

(Edit: Oldschool, I like your new avatar.)
    It could get kinda redundant to have too many discussions on the film.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Saw it, liked it a lot. Good balance of comedy and tragedy, as is befitting Spidey stories. And Garfield nails the character much better than Toby did.

Critics are ravaging it though which is bound to hurt it on the box office. Personally I can't understand all the hate.
    That is unusual. Right now it's at 54% on rotten tomatoes.

For comparison, Spider-Man 3 is at 63%. The first Amazing Spider-Man is at 73%.

The Incredible Hulk is at 67%, and Thor: Dark World is at 65%.

It's even worse than Man of Steel (56%) although that was a box office juggernaut.

It's probably below average as far as Spider-Man films go (below the first two Raimi films and the first ASM) but it's not a bad film, even if I would have significant quibbles.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post

It's gonna do very well regardless of what critics say. It's a big summer movie & a much anticipated Spidey movie.

I personally do not understand the hate on the movie. Yes, it has some very weak aspects but it balances well the funny and the tragic moments between characters, and in my opinion nails the symbolism behind Spider-Man and the trait that characterises Peter as a special hero, and different from all other Marvel heroes.

It certainly is no Iron Man 3 (a movie I disliked), nor is it a Thor 2 (a movie I loathed, might as well have been a sit-com with Thor & Loki as the guest stars). Andrew Garfield nails a Peter Parker that starts in ASM1 as Ultimate Peter Parker and blooms into 616 Peter Parker. Emma Stone also executes perfectly a good blend between ultimate & amazing Gwen Stacy, did I mention she looks EXACTLY like 616 Gwen? And the movie takes good liberties with Harry Osborn, already a more interesting character with more drive than the James Franco Harry. If anything Webb & co. should've used Harry as the main villain instead of Electro, who I have to admit is a forgettable villain.

Saw it a week ago (twice, once in German and once in English) and I really didn't like it too much.
    My non-comicbook-friends liked it a lot and I can't say it wasn't enjoyable per se. For someone who doesn't read comics it must've been pretty good, but I was mostly disappointed.
    Imo they messed up Peter big time. And I have nothing against the fact that they tried to make it more edgy and suitable for todays' Hollywood standards, but there are these little scenes in the movie that make Peter seem absolutely unlikeable and obnoxious. His behaviour is often absolutely out-of-character. And it isn't just his reckless and irresponsible behaviour, it's that he doesn't have to deal with the consequences and therefore learns how to do it better.
    TrilbeeReviews on YouTube already pointed out many of the big flaws and if I had to give you examples I'd have to spoiler.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Do any of you guys who saw and liked it get my point about Electro? I thought his character was terrible, even if one was not going to compare him to the comics version. My wife, who is pretty fair as she doesn't read the comics but sees every comic movie with me, agreed that the Jamie Foxx character was akin to the Ah-Nald Mr Freeze from the Batman and Robin movie. Apart from that one very big turnoff, I thought it was quite good.
    I thought the film was awful, and Electro is definitely one of the big sticking points. His performance, his idiotic motivations, and the fact that if you took out his scenes from the movie entirely, it wouldn't effect the plot whatsoever. He's a Schumacher-esque cornball who's only there for empty spectacle.

I already posted some thoughts in the film thread, but I think it would also be fun to discuss the movie in the Spider-Man forum proper.

I loved Spidey’s sense of humor in this movie. The scene where he wears the firefighter helmet made me laugh out loud!

I thought the first web-slinging scene was a great way to open the movie with action. It was great to see Spider-Man go out of his way to rescue civilians. I’m not the biggest fan of the flashback sequences with Peter’s parents, and if it were up to me this is how the movie would have started.

The action was also great—some of my favorite in the Spider-Man films.

I enjoyed Garfield in the role of Peter Parker in the first TASM film, but this for me is where he absolutely owned the role. A great performance!

It was powerful to see Peter find inspiration and return to save the city from the Rhino after Gwen’s death. I loved that moment.

I didn’t like that Harry suddenly became the goblin at the end of the movie just so he could show up for two to five minutes for the sole purpose of killing Gwen, or that we never really got to see Peter’s reaction to Harry after the fact (like how he nearly beat Norman to death in the comics and had to pull himself back).

I also wished the filmmakers used Peter’s dialogue from the comics instead of the generic “stay with me” that seems to get used in a lot of death scenes. It’s very moving in the comics when Peter thinks he saved Gwen at first before going into denial and saying “I don’t want you to be dead.”

But overall, I thought it was an enjoyable movie and an improvement from the first film in the franchise. All in all, I say: Spider-Man 2>Spider-Man>TASM2>TASM1>Spider-Man 3

I plan to see it again tonight.

Random question: Why didn’t Peter just give Harry the blood? He was afraid of bad stuff happening, but since Harry was already going to die, what could have been worse than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    Random question: Why didn’t Peter just give Harry the blood? He was afraid of bad stuff happening, but since Harry was already going to die, what could have been worse than that?
    Peter most likely didn't want Harry becoming a murderous goblin/spider thing. The blood could've killed Harry too if it weren't compatible, even if Richard Parker had gone great lengths to make the Spider venom compatible with his own blood (in this case Peter's). Peter wanted Harry to do some more research before giving him his blood, but alas Harry was impatient and wanted it now.

I'm betting it's Norman who finally gets a sample of Peter's blood, one way or another, and instead of healing him turns him into Ultimate Green Goblin. Seems like Peter's blood could be a catalyst when it mixes with the Goblin formula (or well, the Goblin disease).
    Last edited by jgprime; 05-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgprime View Post
    Peter most likely didn't want Harry becoming a murderous goblin/spider thing. The blood could've killed Harry too if it weren't compatible, even if Richard Parker had gone great lengths to make the Spider venom compatible with his own blood (in this case Peter's). Peter wanted Harry to do some more research before giving him his blood, but alas Harry was impatient and wanted it now.

I'm betting it's Norman who finally gets a sample of Peter's blood, one way or another, and instead of healing him turns him into Ultimate Green Goblin. Seems like Peter's blood could be a catalyst when it mixes with the Goblin formula (or well, the Goblin disease).
    That's a great idea! I hope they do that.

In a way, it almost would have been more tragic if Peter actually did give Harry the blood, thinking it would help his friend recover- and then Harry transformed. It would add another level of guilt/responsibility for what happened to both Harry and Gwen.