BANNED

Default JL#34 -- A transformation for Batman?

Batman, nowadays mostly portrayed as the all-knowing, undefeatable badass, makes a very human mistake in Justice League #34 and messes things up. He admits to it, literally saying he "blew it" and that he was "stupid."

It's about time someone actually wrote a story like this and I'm curious if it's going to lead to a self-aware introspection for Batman, realizing he's NOT perfect and NOT the smartest/most skilled in a room, and that he's a human being capable of making mistakes.

Do you think this is a step in the right direction for Batman? Or will it be forgotten once the arc is over due to the public still fawning over BatGod?

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Have you not been reading King's batman? Or Tec?
    Have you not been on these boards since the start of Rebirth?
    Wasn't that what War or Jokes and Riddles was all about? Didn't he Just say that in his own title just weeks back?

Hasn't that been the theme since Rebirth and still people can't get enough. Batgod will be back I'm sure but right it's okay to see his imperfections that just makes his achievements greater when you know he is so flawed.
    Truth is Bat-God or damaged man child who makes mistakes, talks to his dead mum Bat people love him regardless.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 12-06-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Despite this, I saw very good 2 reviews with and 8 one with 9.. and even one 9.5 review..

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...gue-34-review/

Nothing against that... I saw the issue, this man(batman) must work less.. He can´t be perfect..
    Last edited by adrikito; 12-06-2017 at 03:53 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Wasn't that what War or Jokes and Riddles was all about? Didn't he Just say that in his own title just weeks back?

Hasn't that been the theme since Rebirth and still people can't get enough. Batgod will be back I'm sure but right it's okay to see his imperfections that just makes his achievements greater when you know he is so flawed.
    Truth is Bat-God or damaged man child who makes mistakes, talks to his dead mum Bat people love him regardless.
    Well said. Also, if you read this week's Batman, the way Superman talks about Batman is pretty great, and in this vein.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Batman makes all sorts of mistakes under Morrison, Snyder, etc. So it's always a good bit of exaggeration to say he's never presented as making mistakes or being defeated.

Writers always have Batman suffer some losses to villains in arcs before he finally corrects course to defeat them.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

They don`t always show him being vocal about it but that`s the majority of depictions you got since the heyday of the Grim era.

Maybe we are witnessing the comeback of the Bronze era Batman who was not above admitting his shortcomigs and actually looked human.

All-New Member

I do believe a transformation for Batman heavily required. As technology progressing, so does the characters need to change with time.

Yes I think we are returning back to more elements of the Bronze Age Batman, early Dark Age Bruce Wayne and just more of the Batman and Bruce from the comics 2005 and earlier. And it's great.

This lines up with the Batman/Bruce that we see in mainstream. Batman has always been fantastic but in the past 8 or 9 years before Rebirth, in my opinion, it has gotten a little ridiculous with his power upgrade.

BANNED

Last I checked DC was still publishing Metal so no. Besides Priest doesn't nerf characters he makes them more powerful. He's just created an interesting story idea out of the fact that Batman is on so many different teams and books. Batman wins and loses like any other character.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Last I checked DC was still publishing Metal so no. Besides Priest doesn't nerf characters he makes them more powerful. He's just created an interesting story idea out of the fact that Batman is on so many different teams and books. Batman wins and loses like any other character.
    Metal is not the only book about Batman.

There is a lot of different types of Batmans to enjoy.

Besides, Metal is already over in the time period JL is now set in. That should apply to any book that's already had a tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Do you think this is a step in the right direction for Batman? Or will it be forgotten once the arc is over due to the public still fawning over BatGod?
    It'll be forgotten because apparently Priest is only doing five issues. He said "our arc" in an interview.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Besides, Metal is already over in the time period JL is now set in. That should apply to any book that's already had a tie-in.

It'll be forgotten because apparently Priest is only doing five issues. He said "our arc" in an interview.
    Strongly disagree. In interviews, Priest is talking about multiple storylines. They could be all in one arc, but I think that's stretching it. Do you want him off the book?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Metal is not the only book about Batman.

There is a lot of different types of Batmans to enjoy.
    No but its definitely the biggest.

Agreed, I just feel fans are getting carried away in thinking that Priest is dialing down "Batgod" because:
    Its impossible for one man to make such a huge change. He's not going to redefine Batman in a manner that overcomes whatever Miller, Morrison and Snyder have written because at the end of the day he's not a Batman writer.
    Secondly if Priest tries to do it then he's actually turning JL in to a Batman book with significant story devoted to Batman.
    Third Priest is a Batman fanboy, he has outright stated that he modelled Black Panther on Batman out of frustation that he never got a proper Batman gig. His writing of Deathstroke whom he has repeatedly referred to as Anti-Batman and Damian Wayne the junior Batman is a testament to him writing extremely comepetent street level characters. So if T'Challa, Damian and Slade got amped up under Deathstroke then why are fans assuming Batman will get powered down?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post

idk why you're asking me bc I have no clue