Spectacular Member

Default X-Men: How do you fix things?

If Disney are in charge?

I would scrap everything.

Get someone like Brian K. Vaughan to oversee a relaunch and then get a mix of established talent and up and comers.

Peter David and Mark Waid key think tank with Claremont as group editor.

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    If Disney are in charge?

Get someone like Brian K. Vaughan to oversee a relaunch and then get a mix of established talent and up and comers.

I'm against Claremont steering the ship for a lot of reasons. He has an ax to grind and I'm not interested in seeing him tear up continuity to "fix" everything like it was supposed to be. David and Waid would be okay though.

I mean, what would be a "fixed" X-Men? What was the commercial and creative height of the franchise?

Claremont has every right to want to fix all the crap continuity that's been piled on to the canon HE crafted.

I wouldn't necessarily want him writing them again, but I think he'd be the perfect guy to help manage/edit/set the course/course-correct a new writing team.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I mean, what would be a "fixed" X-Men? What was the commercial and creative height of the franchise?

Claremont has every right to want to fix all the crap continuity that's been piled on to the canon HE crafted.

I wouldn't necessarily want him writing them again, but I think he'd be the perfect guy to help manage/edit/set the course/course-correct a new writing team.
    To be fair, when I said he had an axe to grind, I mean he has an axe to grind with Scott. I'm not too interested in seeing how he could top what Marvel's done to Scott over the last five years.

As for fixed.. I think for me that would be a return to longer form storytelling in a more stable environment where story lines can be at least marginally defended from a characterization standpoint.

I mean, non-Claremont Marvel turned Scott into a Hitler-stand in after killing him off panel.....

Scott's stock can only rise from here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Could he just reboot the X-Men universe as if only his original run existed? I can't imagine that would be too unpopular here since there are many who believe that the X-Men should have their own separate movie universe from the rest of Marvel. And apparently they would be better off without the crossovers and guest appearances by the Avengers, Spider-Man, etc. In which case, if they have no problem keeping the X-Men isolated for the films, they should have no issue if the same were to occur in the comics.

I mean, he already had a shot at that with X-Men Forever. As much as I loved Perfect Storm, overall it wasn't his best work. I think he's done in the writer's position, but I think his wealth of knowledge would be perfect as an editor guiding younger writers. It would help give some cohesion to the line too. Obviously the days of having one writer for 16 years are long past, but the rapid succession of single trade writers with completely different styles/takes is grating.

BANNED

The books are fine right now. The good characters are being allowed to come back. We've got good writers (except maybe one) who seem to be into the characters they are on, save Bunn, who's done a good job anyway. The art' s good.

There's no Inhumans. Very few Avengers. Things are pretty darned good.

Only things left to do really are get someone else writing Gold and shift the X-Men into their own universe.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    If Disney are in charge?

To fix then isnt just to retread. Come on. We need freash takes. So no Claremont no David and defintly no Waid imo
    X-Men Forever