Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This story had so much potential, but the creative team couldn't properly execute it in the issues. I am thankful to Tomasi and Gleason for the good stories and character moments we have had throughout their rebirth run, I have really liked many of their stories. After the crossover story, they are planning to write a 4 part Bizarro story too. I hope they will stop after it, I don't want the stories about Apokolips' lord Superman to be badly executed, it has so much potential. Don't leave Super Sons any time soon, that book is pure fun.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I want to hope that March solicits will show a new team, but there's absolutely nothing indicating any sort of change.
    isn't James Robinson writing the two February issues? i've no clue if he's on permanantly. I guess we'll find out in march solicits.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    isn't James Robinson writing the two February issues? i've no clue if he's on permanantly. I guess we'll find out in march solicits.
    Robinson is writing the February issues, his arc is titled Suicide Planet. Tomasi and Gleason will be back with a Bizarro family story after Robinson's arc, so no, Robinson isn't permanent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Okay, I think its time to change the direction of this book. What a complete waste of time some of these arcs have been. The arc is called Imperious Lex, and he has his screen time taken up by Lois, and Jon? Then all his development, which was for his sister, not Superman, is thrown out becuz reasonz.

Get this team off Superman, now. Replace them with Hickman, and the Manns, then maybe he can get some actually epic Superman stories.

Hell, bring back Pak and Kruder.

I mean we had Lois beat up Furies...get this family crap outta here, if you're gonna keep undermining villains to make Clark's family look like they won't be a burden.
    While this arc fell flat its still better than anything Pak and Kuder ever did. I cant even remember any memorable arc from their run. The ones that come to mind are Truth and Doomed which were crappy crossovers.
    Ardora isn't Luthor's sister btw.
    Kalibak also displayed impressive showings here and so did Granny both of whom are treated as jobbers by other writers. So the villains weren't undermined as badly as you believe. Its actually about time Kalibak got his due. He should be Orion's equal and superior to everyone on Apokolips excluding Darkseid.
    What's wrong with Lois and Jon being more prominent? Its not like only this team uses them.

get this family crap outta here
    I think you might be missing the point.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Damn, y’all make me want not to read the book today
    It's just bandwagon hate. If you ask me, the story is fine. Make up your own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I want to hope that March solicits will show a new team, but there's absolutely nothing indicating any sort of change.
    Tomasi and Gleeson said they'd like to do 100 issues, same as King on Batman
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-07-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's just bandwagon hate. If you ask me, the story is fine. Make up your own mind.
    I agree with this. The issue is fine. My complaint is it could have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I can't believe I'm at the point where a Jurgens written Superman book is the less frustrating of the two.

If you've been missing out out on platitudes of American exceptionalism and the whitewashing of history since 'Road Trip', this issue has you covered. Their reference to Superman #20 with Lois is not the only poor choice Tomasi & Gleason double down on.

Other than the bit with Jon and the Hunger Dogs, this whole arc has been a dud.

spoilers:
    And Lex is evil again
    end of spoilers
    Ugh. I wish Tomasi stopped writing about his deluded visions of American history in Superman. Road Trip was more than enough.
    I'm about to drop the book for good because it's seriously cringe-worthy how forced this all is.

As someone who doesn't really like the U.S. "exceptionalism", it honestly didn't read so bad. Sure, he glossed over all the problems there was with the Founding of the U.S., but would telling them that he came from a nation whose early rise was granted by slavery and still divided by deep racial tensions, have helped the locals ? Not really. Plus, he do got a point : without the U.S. Revolution, I highly doubt that a French Revolution would have happened, and from it folliwng revolutions elsewhere in the waning XVIIIth and the XIXth centuries.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I agree with this. The issue is fine. My complaint is it could have been better.
    Yeah, I made that clear in the opening post. Supes' stint on Apokolips helping out should have been a whole epilogue issue to itself, something spirited for christmas you know

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    As someone who doesn't really like the U.S. "exceptionalism", it honestly didn't read so bad. Sure, he glossed over all the problems there was with the Founding of the U.S., but would telling them that he came from a nation whose early rise was granted by slavery and still divided by deep racial tensions, have helped the locals ? Not really. Plus, he do got a point : without the U.S. Revolution, I highly doubt that a French Revolution would have happened, and from it folliwng revolutions elsewhere in the waning XVIIIth and the XIXth centuries.
    Indeed you'd be hard pressed to find any country or community that doesn't have skeletons in its closet. I associate superhero comics with innocence and the ideas Superman preached were innocent. If you want to find something sinister then you're like that Wertham guy. Israelis' will tell you their country is great regardless of their issues with Palestine and so on. If the basic idea being preached is good then I dont see whats the problem.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, the point of this story takes place in a context of people who have literally no idea what America is or susceptibility to influence beyond the positivity of Superman. Why would he cover that other stuff to muddy his own point?

Notice he doesn't mention it by name, it's not to impress its glory upon people who can't know the pointless contradictions. The reader sure can, and most likely will given that the demographic generally falls between 16-40. Yeah, this does falls down to what Tomasi and Gleason are saying through the character but it's not incongruous with a character who used to fly through time to hang with Lincoln, Washington, Franklin, etc. Superman needs strong opinions... until those opinions don't match our own.

Right now I just think the line writers need to collaborate more. Jurgens used to finish a story strong and I think it's been a struggle to have to man the whole thing. Tomasi and Gleason have yet to end a story stronger than it started, on the other hand. Maybe some helpful collaboration for longer stories and a writer willing to elaborate on what they rush, plus the marvel method, will help.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's just bandwagon hate. If you ask me, the story is fine.
    Agreed. I actually thought this issue was good and much meatier than what you get from a lot of other series nowadays. This, Deathstroke, and Captain America would probably be my picks of the week.

Plus, IMO, this is probably the best representation we’ve gotten of the New Gods in quite some time, save for King’s Mr. Miracle. And yes, I’m including Darkseid War in that.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-07-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Okay, I think its time to change the direction of this book. What a complete waste of time some of these arcs have been. The arc is called Imperious Lex, and he has his screen time taken up by Lois, and Jon? Then all his development, which was for his sister, not Superman, is thrown out becuz reasonz.
    Uh, wasn’t Lex’s heroic turn always just an extension of what he did in Forever Evil? And didn’t he take up the S in order to honor the “fallen Superman.” Plus, he already screwed over his sister in Jimenez’s Superwoman so I doubt there’s any love lost between them. I mean, this is the same guy who once cured and then reparalyzed Lena just for fun. Anyway, even if the whole “honoring dead Superman” thing doesn’t work anymore because New 52 Superman and his death were removed from continuity, it doesn’t even make sense that he’d take up the ‘S’ for Lena. Why would she care if he wears the bloody ‘S’ or if he’s helping fight alongside Superman?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Agreed. I actually thought this issue was good and much meatier than what you get from a lot of other series nowadays. This, Deathstroke, and Captain America would probably be my picks of the week.

Plus, IMO, this is probably the best representation we’ve gotten of the New Gods in quite some time, save for King’s Mr. Miracle. And yes, I’m including Darkseid War in that.
    You gotta check out Bug! if you haven't already. Man I would be interested to see the Allreds float over for a guest spot.