Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Iceman #8 (spoilers)

- Bobby and his younger counterpart are catching up while they kick nuPyro's ass. Despite being fundamentally more comfortable with his sexuality than Bobby the Elder, Bobby the Younger (henceforth referred to as BtY) is feeling insecure about his relationship with the Inhuman Romeo, who has been ducking his calls for weeks now. Bobby (jokingly!) offers to kick Romeo's butt so BtY looks better, but BtY says he can handle it.

- Bobby lets BtY know that their folks want to meet him. He says they don't have to, but younger Bobby says he's cool with the whole thing.

- Meanwhile, we drop in on Daken, who's still mentoring Zach. Daken's mentoring methods involve kicking the kid around, sending him in to pick 3-on-1 fights with stronger mutants to fetch trinkets for Daken's amusement, and reminding him to keep his trap shut if he's not being spoken to. Despite that, Zach's powers have advanced considerably - he's a pint-sized agent of destruction.

- BtY is a fucking liar. When Bobby arrives at the restaurant where their folks are waiting, he finds BtY hiding in the men's room, iced-up and anxious af about meeting the older versions of his parents. Bobby manages to talk him out and convinces him that he'll de-ice once he actually faces his parents.

- Bobby is a fucking liar. His parents are legit awful, fawning over BtY and making it clear they've already discarded Bobby as a failed attempt in child-rearing and that BtY will be their do-over. Bobby tells them off, but in the meantime, BtY has completely frozen over. Bobby's dad starts to shout at him for making a scene, but Bobby tells him to stow it. He talks BtY down, letting him know Bobby is always going to be there for him, even if their folks can't ever accept what they are.

- Ma and Pa Drake try to put on the smiling, accepting act again, but BtY isn't having it. He lets them know if they ever see him again, it'll be on his terms. With his boyfriend. Whom he will kiss in public. Bobby pretends to take BtY outside to calm down, but in reality, they're ditching the parents. Good riddance.

- BtY wishes Bobby luck with the LA move, understanding he probably needs a change of scenery. Then he calls Romeo to tell him off for being a jackass.

- Bobby gets a pleasant surprise in the form of Judah showing up on the lawn of the school, wanting to get in some get-to-know-you time with Bobby... and then he's promptly body-tackled by an armored Colossus as an intruder. Ow.

- Last page, final panel: Daken's arrived in New York.

Highlights of the issue:

- Bobby has a "What Would Emma Frost Do?" moment with regard to de-icing BtY.

- Judah gets a reminder of why it's only polite to call ahead, especially to a school that gets attacked by hate groups every other week:

Overall, an enjoyable issue, and it did address the question of how BtY would deal with his folks. But I'm much more looking forward to the big throw-down between Daken and Iceman next month.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 12-06-2017 at 07:15 AM.

The two last issues have been the weakest of the series so far, but I guess it was all worth for that last page gag alone.

That panel is hilarious. "That's my special friend!"

Colossus tackled Mystique lol

KIDDING KIDDING

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post

- Judah gets a reminder of why it's only polite to call ahead, especially to a school that gets attacked by hate groups every other week:

This scene was really funny but can not blame Peter after all how many times in a week or a month the school is attacked?
    Did Pyro come back to life or is that Gold imposter?

A sad meeting between the two Bobbys with their parents but was expected. It was obvious that they intended to put their expectations and wishes into the young version or something like this.

Regarding Iceman #7 and 8, I don't think these issues were that much weaker (in fact, really found the scene with the Bobbys meeting the Drakes fascinating, not just for the Drakes trying to sink their claws into Lil Bobby, but Elder Bobby playing big bro/guardian of sorts) but just that I'm disappointed with the blandness of Judah. This issue had the best moment for him so far but I dunno, speaking from personal experience, copywriters tend to be even more tryhardy during their initial weeks of courtship/dating Where is the creative content to really sweep Bobby off his feet, Judah?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Colossus tackled Mystique lol
    If we were that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Regarding Iceman #7 and 8, I don't think these issues were that much weaker (in fact, really found the scene with the Bobbys meeting the Drakes fascinating, not just for the Drakes trying to sink their claws into Lil Bobby, but Elder Bobby playing big bro/guardian of sorts) but just that I'm disappointed with the blandness of Judah. This issue had the best moment for him so far but I dunno, speaking from personal experience, copywriters tend to be even more tryhardy during their initial weeks of courtship/dating Where is the creative content to really sweep Bobby off his feet, Judah?
    I'm wondering if Judah's going to survive the next two issues, tbh. I mean, Bobby seems pretty set on moving to LA, but if his reason for going winds up skewered...

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Honestly? This was great. And Judah is cute.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

This was a very fascinating issue, because of the unique situation of the 2 Bobbys and the Drakes. I think most of us would probably react the same way if we met a younger version of ourselves: be irritated by them but also be super protective. I have to say I'm quite done with the parents, they're just so frustrating time and time again. But by the end of the issue, I also felt a bit sad for them, standing there with their hopes for a fresh start destroyed. I suppose from their perspective they feel that they're doing their best. It's realistic in that sense, that sometimes people you care for can't understand you or what you stand for.

Colossus tackling Judah was quite funny! I do enjoy the humorous moments in the series, especially in a serious issue like this one. I loved the Emma Frost reference too! Between that and the Rogue mention earlier, Sina is really doing his best to incorporate characters that we want to see but can't right now.

I got the impression that Judah was willing to move to New York in all that.

Not sure he still feels that way after being blind sided by a 7 ft brick shit house.

That Colossus panel might be my the X-Panel of the year. So funny.

I enjoyed the issue. I actually hope there is follow up with adult Iceman and his parents. I would be livid and baffled as to why my parents, who are so distant from me, would want to the younger still mutant still gay version of myself to live with them.

Also glad to get another Emma Frost nod, though she needs to make an appearance.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Whenever you think the Drakes couldn't be more awful, they find a way. I really loved the whole dinner scene.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I got the impression that Judah was willing to move to New York in all that.

Not sure he still feels that way after being blind sided by a 7 ft brick shit house.
    a 7 foot tall hot hunk of Russian runs at you and grabs you in his arms....I don't think Judah REALLY minded at all

Incredible Member

The last panel really cracked me up!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    a 7 foot tall hot hunk of Russian runs at you and grabs you in his arms....I don't think Judah REALLY minded at all
    Ha ha ha that adds a whole other element to Bobby's protestation.

If the emphasis is put on MY -- "That's MY special friend" -- as in "No Peter, get your own!" Ha ha ha