Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I will say most of the general public still don't know who Thanos is, and they don't know Darkseid at all... they can tell you Batman is rich and has a car and lives as Bruce Wayne and has a psycho enemy called Joker. They can tell you Superman is Clark Kent and has a girl friend Lois or Spider-Man is Peter Parker or Wolverine has claws and is named Logan Luke Skywalker's father is Vader but that's it, their knowledge of comic scifi nerd lore is very, very limited. They might even know the mythology and story of Star Trek and Harry Potter more than Marvel or DC

At this stage the general public might be connecting the dots with some alien guy who turns up in end credits and looks like red skull / hellboy ?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma
    - can whup Superman by himself
    WRONG

he's a stupid jobber
    https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...-darkseid1.jpg

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...1635-27320.jpg

Classic Darkseid had menace and power, the new guy plays the role of Worf in TNG some random villain comes along beats the crap out of him and says look how tough I am I beat up Darkseid

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden
    Or has his presence been teased and I missed it?

He had a good showing in the toons and kinda appeared in Smallville but Clark one shot him with a speed blitz .. there is also the Omega Beam branded into Earth in Batman's BvS vision

his appearance didn't get noticed by the public, the show had zero impact on pop culture whatsoever

Thanos is this cosmic chess player and warrior built up by Death herself to challenge other Gods across the Galaxy and super powerful Gods like Hela, Zeus, Odin etc

the whole 'Death' connection is of importance

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_Death_(Marvel)

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Death_(Earth-616)

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/death/4005-12620/
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-08-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Darkseid who?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Darkseid who?
    Darkseid is

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic
    Darkseid is
    a classic Kirby character who became stupid creation?
    a character nobody in the general public knows or cares about?
    a monkey looking gargoyle who delivers cliche one liners
    a jobber who lives a life being a punch bag for Superman, Wonder Woman etc it should be noted Jobbing Darkseid jobbed to the likes of batman but his appearance in the wacky BraveandtheBold was cool, unfortunately the character has become so stupid and cliche over the years, that he just needs to be gone!
    Gone from this god-like, galaxy spanning threatening villain that frightens New Gods to someone that hides in houses and gets trounced by Superman, Batman etc

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc
    Thanos is probably more well known with general audiences by this point.
    I think most still do not really 'know' him, remember not everyone has seen ALL Marvel movies but people who seen GotG probably remember him, I would say there is enough there from James Gunn's movie for people to start connecting the dots.
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-06-2017 at 05:28 PM.

General Public: No question Thanos, hell the rumor is WB didn't want to use Darkseid because it would make it look like they were ripping off Thanos...that's all kinds of funny.

Casual Comic fan: I'm leaning Thanos here as well, while I don't think he's had any legendary stories of late, Thanos has remained fairly consistent as a morally grey to black universal threat. Darkeseid, I feel struggles for development, it seems people struggle to have him do more than lose to the Justice League or worse lose to Superman solo.

Hardcore Fans: Darkseid, but possibly more even than it used to be.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

If they'd made Darkseid the villain in the JL movie, it might have made me actually motivated to see it. For good or ill, he's really the only Apokolips character I've ever noticed enough to care about.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Spectacular Member

Marvel its movie verse - is a more fun but also a more gritty down to Earth Universe with more real people, Quicksilver can die, the Shield Agents can die, Cap is powerful but still mortal. Tony Stark for all his power still needs an Iron suit, Black Widow is mortal, so are most of the team. Ok they do have some uber-men or supermen like Vision, Hulk, Thor these are their guys with 'Godly' but they are not over used! and both Thor and Hulk do sit out for a while, for example they sat out Civil War, it could be argued Wanda and Dr Strange are kinda godly but are more fantasy plot elements, they are still mortal and need time to make their magic tricks at any moment a bad guys punch might take them out. Most Avengers are mortals who can be killed and they have real world situations and real world drama that's the difference. What is Thanos and what is his role, is he a big boss man? Is Thanos a psychotic love story, an outalwed cosmic duo or is it about lust, evil and pride millions dying in a Trojan war because of the pride of one vagina? or Bonnie and Clyde a Galaxy spanning Toxic Love Not to be Romanticized? Something like a horror movie origin story line?

The big Avengers bad guy, he started to appear in video games, 90s cartoon and the super hero squad , I think kids may know him from toons?

The Justice League are different to the Avengers, they totally are like guys with the power of 'Gods' and now fight against what? a baldy real estate agent? this CGI horned grey Hulk thing that killed Superman? ok the fight was interesting with Doomsday but there was nothing in the character, no story. Who else steppenwolf, another CGI thing? Didn't Superman kill him with one or two punches? Who else can they use, maybe an alien invasion from Mars or that devil like Asmodel guy or Despero or some Cyborg made or kryptonite or Starbreaker or some energy manipulator like Dr Manhattan? or some uber psychic thinker like Maxwell Lord or Brainiac? You need something of Godly power to fight them, after this you are talking teams of persons.... some of which are pretty lame, you are talking about Injustice Gang, Legion of Super-Villains the general public will have no idea about the villain groups unless they have guys like Joker or Two Face or Catwoman on the teams? Most people CAN NOT NAME any Justice League Villains, even after the movie the do not remember anyone.

They could have enemies but they would need to be built up, need to be interesting or maybe uber powerful? Maybe Martians or that alien Starro thingy?

I get the feeling even if they did build up Darkseid, Superman would just push harder and hit him with a plot device punch or Flash or Batman would just do some time gizmo thing. Now that Superman is literally back from the dead killing the big video game boss man with 2 punches, you feel like there is nothing that challenges them. Also why are people happy to see dark Superman? is this not the same 'dark superman' who killed thousands of people, caused multiple 911 style building collapses as he fought Zod in the middle of a highly populated city and everyone looking so dead and helpless but its ok cos Man of Steel saved Lois? its like making the movie Heat or The Matrix or Django Unchained and having them do their shoot out inside a kids school or a children hospital with chainsaws
    ...and what happened to the traumatized brooding Batman from this movie in Justice League, he just decided to go all cool, mah man! dig it!?

The Joss Whedon comparison between scifi comicbook companies once described it as fantasy Gods vs gritty more realistic 'People. "Because, with that one big exception (Batman), DC's heroes are from a different era. Here's his quote - They're from the era when they were creating gods. And the thing that made [DC's rival publisher] Marvel Comics extraordinary was that they created people. Their characters didn't living in mythical cities, they lived in New York. They absolutely were a part of the world. Peter Parker's character (Spider-Man) was a tortured adolescent. DC's characters, like Wonder Woman and Superman and Green Lantern, were all very much removed from humanity. Batman was the only character they had who was so rooted in pain, that had that same gift that the Marvel characters had, which was that gift of humanity that we can relate to."
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-07-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Niffleheim

Thanos is even more relatable because he has girl problems

Spectacular Member

I like Darkseid when he's written at his best.

Honestly, I've been reading comics for 30 years and I think I've read about one with Thanos in - and he made very little impression on me.

Darkseid on the other hand is awesome. I know the upcoming film is going to boost Thanos's visibility massively, but outside of that, I can't see how he comes close to Darkseid.

My vote goes to Darkseid. I think DC has much better and more interesting villains than Marvel in general.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou
    Has Thanos surpassed Darkseid? More or Less. Can't wait for the Infinity War movie to come .
    For comic fans there is the Classic Darkseid

and unfortunately
    also the modern Jobberseid

http://i0.wp.com/blog.ademagnaye.com...AN-SINGS-2.png

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...uper_super.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    I think DC has much better and more interesting villains than Marvel in general.
    You mean BATMAN has more interesting villains but DC as a whole does not
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-08-2017 at 01:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think so.

He's had the bigger comic book story (Infinity Gauntlet) and has been the big bad of the MCU for years, finally taking on the Avengers in what is likely to be the first of two massive films.
    If DC had gotten Infinite Crisis right, it might be closer.

Sadly the original will always be seen as the copy in the eyes of the average moviegoer and uninformed comic book reader. It’s been my dream to see Darkseid on the big screen. Probably won’t ever happen now.

It seemed like Darkseid and the Fourth World characters were Kirby’s little revenge against Stan Lee and Marvel for treating him so badly. When Levitz brought him back to DC in the 80s to finish his New Gods saga (which turned into the Hunger Dogs) they also tapped him to help with the Super Powers cartoon and toy line, as they were using Darkseid as the main villain. Kirby stated that he made more money with the New Gods than with all the Marvel characters he created.
    It always made me a little sad that Marvel just went ahead and created a copy of Darkseid (who is now more well known) and somewhat erased Kirby’s small victory.

Spectacular Member

I do not believe he is a copy, Jim Starlin himself admitted he may have been inspired by Metron is the supreme explorer and chair thing until guys at Marvel said 'Hulk' Thanos up. There is a lot of freedom and flexibility in the character, perhaps 'inspired' and also partly inspired by Despero, Ming the Merciless, Brainiac, Dr Doom, Pluto, his story however its own and mostly unique. He doesn't rule his own planet and is something of a Challenge Seeker why he challenges Odin, Galactus etc and went after Tyrant. Thanos has different story much like Superman is different to John Carter of Mars or Flash is not the same as the mythical Mercury messenger, or Aquaman is different to Sub-Mariner or StarWars is different to the stories and movies of Buck Rogers, Herbert’s Dune, Fritz Lang’s Metropolis, Dam Busters, King Arthur, Kurosawa movies, Flash Gordon or Star Trek or any of the scifi that came before Star Wars. It is very easy to claim something is a copy or a rip off when it is not, most people do not work in isolation and are often inspired by other works of film, music and art and very few times does somebody create something totally unique out of nothing.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/thanos/4005-7607/
    Counting now at 670+ comic issues, his biggest showings seem to be in the Silver Surfer comics but also many in a comic called Quasar ad Warlock and the Infinity Watch. I would say the story has grown to be totally separate and different to what DC has done with its characters.
    more of a chess player

but Marvel 'Hulked' up his appearance so he looks like the other guy?
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-07-2017 at 08:58 PM.