All-New Member

Default Batman Comic Suggestions!?

What's up guys? So I took your suggestions of starting off reading my first Batman comic which was The Long Halloween and it was really good. Any other suggestions? I'm waiting on year one to come in the mail. Thanks!

BANNED

My go to recommendation as far as 'Batman' stories go continues to be the year long epic, No Man's Land. The first part of four available here: https://www.amazon.com/Batman-No-Man...o+man%27s+land

Since you liked Long Halloween, I'd recommend the sequel Dark Victory.

A few other commonly recommended trades:

The Man Who Laughs
    Batgirl/Robin Year One
    Batman: Ego
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth
    No Man's Land
    Gotham Central
    Hush
    Heart of Hush
    The Black Mirror
    Scott Snyder's run (beginning with Vol 1: The Court of Owls)
    Tom King's run (beginning with Vol. 1: I Am Gotham)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Codyking13 View Post
    What's up guys? So I took your suggestions of starting off reading my first Batman comic which was The Long Halloween and it was really good. Any other suggestions? I'm waiting on year one to come in the mail. Thanks!
    Well, Year One is probably the best ever, especially for a new fan. If you're reading Year One, I would strongly recommend skipping straight to The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder - it directly ties into that book, but 15-20 years down the line. And it's just a beautifully done Batman story.

If you liked Long Halloween, I would recommend Hush and Dark Victory, both written by Loeb, and the latter has Tim Sale as artist as well.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Batman Gothic
    Batman Prey
    Batman Venom
    Batman Shaman
    Batman Blind Justice
    Batman Going Sane
    Batman and the Monster Men
    Batman and the Mad Monk
    Batman The Cult

These are all classics (for me) that kinda don't get mentioned as much.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Read the follow up to that story with Dark Victory. Also:

-Morrision's Batman run
    -Tomasi's Batman and Robin
    -Batman Year One

I'll stop there. I have more, but that's a good start.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Lots of great recommendations from above. Long Halloween is probably one of my favorite Batman stories. Glad you enjoyed it!

I really like World's Finest by Karl Kesel. It's a great Batman/Superman story.

If you want to branch out a little and read a Batman that is not Bruce, check out Batman and Robin by Grant Morrison. Dick Grayson is Batman and it is A LOT of fun!

Arkham Asylum: a serious house on serious earth
    Batman HUSH
    Batman and Robin v2
    Batgirl v1
    Batgirl v3

Dark Victory
    Year One
    Dark Knight Returns
    Knightfall
    Prey
    The Cult
    Ten Nights of the Beast
    Court of Owls & Night of Owls
    Arkham Asylum
    I Am Gotham; I Am Suicide and I Am Bane
    Dennis O’neil and Neal Adams classic stories

Any of those should do. They are not in a chronological order btw
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Well continue with its sequel Batman: Dark Victory.
    The the Catwoman story that happens during Dark Victory, Catwoman: When in Rome.

Honnestly all the suggestions are good, but they don't explain why.

There is 2 types of suggestions:
    * Important events
    * Great reads

Here are Batman's main events in chronological order
    1. Year One
    2. Long Halloween / Dark Victory
    3. Batgirl: Year One
    4. The killing joke
    5. A death in the family
    6. A lonely place of dying
    7. Vengence of Bane / Sword of Azrael / Knightfall Saga
    8. Road to No Man's Land / No Man's Land Saga
    9. Hush
    10. Under the red hood
    11. Batman: Batman & son - start of Grant Morrison's run
    12. Court of Owls / Night of Owls

Then there are lots of great stories other than the main events (which are all good reads) - I will list the really must reads
    * Tales of Batman: Archie Goodwin
    * Strange Apparitions - very good Bronze age story
    * Dark Detective - follow up to Strange Apparitions published in 2005
    * Batman and the Monster Men
    * Batman and the Mad Monk - Follow-up to Batman and the Monster Men
    * Batman The Cult - the must read of must reads
    * The Man Who Laughs - A follow up to Batman: Year One
    * Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth - Awsome take on Arkham and the Joker
    * Arkham Asylum: Living Hell
    * Dark Knigt, Dark City - best Riddler Story
    * Batman: Snow - a must on Dr. Freeze
    * Broken City - a very realistic take by Brian Azzarello (100 bullets)
    * Batman, The Dark Knight: Cycle of Violence - Very very dark story on the Scarecrow
    * Gotham by Gaslight - a steampunk elseworld story
    * Tales of the multiverse: Batman vampire - another strange elsworld take on Batman
    * Li'l Gotham - Batman for kids with great watercolors by Dustin Ngyen
    * Paul Dini's run - to read after Batman:Hush :
    *** Death and the City (skipable)
    *** Private Casebook
    *** Heart of Hush
    *** Streets of Gotham: Hush Money
    *** Streets of Gotham: Leviathan
    *** Streets of Gotham: House of Hush

Have fun
    Last edited by jb681131; 12-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Since you Like The Long Halloween I would Recommend Dark Victory it follows the story after The Long Halloween. Year one is set in the same time frame and happens before The Long Halloween. Loeb has also done three Halloween specials worth checking out. They have been collected in a TPB haunted Knight - not sure if it is still in print. Loeb has also done Hush, I'm personally not a fan but a lot of people like it. It is worth checking out as it has some fine elements a uses a lot of Batman villains. When in Rome has also been mention however this is not my favourite story to be honest if you want to check out Catwoman I would suggest Ed Brubaker's run instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Since you Like The Long Halloween I would Recommend Dark Victory it follows the story after The Long Halloween. Year one is set in the same time frame and happens before The Long Halloween. Loeb has also done three Halloween specials worth checking out. They have been collected in a TPB haunted Knight - not sure if it is still in print. Loeb has also done Hush, I'm personally not a fan but a lot of people like it. It is worth checking out as it has some fine elements a uses a lot of Batman villains. When in Rome has also been mention however this is not my favourite story to be honest if you want to check out Catwoman I would suggest Ed Brubaker's run instead.
    You repeat a lot what has already been said.
    Yes Hush is not so good.
    Haunted Knight is not really worth checking. There are much much better Batman stories to check out before them. And They are not even canon.

And don't read too much of Jeff Loeb's work, you will get a false opinion on the Batman.

Indeed Ed Brubaker's run is excellent. Probably the best thing you can fin about Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    You repeat a lot what has already been said.
    Yes Hush is not so good.
    Haunted Knight is not really worth checking. There are much much better Batman stories to check out before them. And They are not even canon.

And don't read too much of Jeff Loeb's work, you will get a false opinion on the Batman.

Indeed Ed Brubaker's run is excellent. Probably the best thing you can fin about Catwoman.
    Whatever a story is canon or not should never be the reason for you to read a story. People tend to focus way to much on what is new and fresh and not on what is acctually a good story. Instead of making suggestions based on what I like or what I prefer I make suggestion based on what the person will probably like. Based on that I point people in direction of what the writer/artist have also done. Then I will add my personal thoughts.The Haunted Knight has not yet been mentioned so I would give it a suggestion. Personally I like the mad hatter story and one of the best Mad hatter stories on print for that alone it is worth checking out. It is very creepy and chilling story with out being a corefest. In my book it is a halloween story done right. Is there better stories to checkout? Sure but is rather subjective I would rather give a suggestion I think OP would like than shovel my personal opinion down peoples through. It doesn't help in any shape or form. I, for instance personally don't like Hush as a story nor as a character. However I do believe OP will find it good which is the most important. I personally don't like When in Rome and find it rather uninteresting so here I will rather give a suggestion to story which I find better and still believe OP would like.