Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Its times like this when you gotta wonder if everyone in Peter's private life is a complete dummy. I mean, Flash has to know deep down that Peter is Spider-Man, right? I mean, there are several times that Peter, as Spider-Man refers to Flash as his best friend, even calling him "buddy." Come on...you'd have to be thick as molasses to not be able to put two and two together.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Based on what I'm hearing;

"No one dies! except for the alien."

Gotta wonder why its so different when its an alien.
    Because alien rights don't count for s*** on Earth. Yes, I'm being facetious, but given how utterly ruthless superheroes tend to be when dealing with alien threats as opposed to more "human" villains that just get knocked out and locked up . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Because alien rights don't count for s*** on Earth. Yes, I'm being facetious, but given how utterly ruthless superheroes tend to be when dealing with alien threats as opposed to more "human" villains that just get knocked out and locked up . . .
    That's true, but that's also bad writing, so I think it's fair to call it out. Especially when it's by a character like Peter who doesn't murder anyone, alien or not.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    That's true, but that's also bad writing, so I think it's fair to call it out. Especially when it's by a character like Peter who doesn't murder anyone, alien or not.
    Especially when you consider how he was so adamant on NOT killing Carnage. Or how pissed off he and Ben were when Venom killed all those symbiotes in Planet of the Symbiotes.

Honestly, Eddie kinda got picked on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    Especially when you consider how he was so adamant on NOT killing Carnage. Or how pissed off he and Ben were when Venom killed all those symbiotes in Planet of the Symbiotes.

Honestly, Eddie kinda got picked on here.
    Points well-made and taken. It is terribly out of character for Peter to actually try to kill the Venom symbiote --- lock it up, I could see, but outright murder? Then again, he did try to kill Itsy Bitsy over in Spider-Man/Deadpool, even accounting for demonic influence, and that was after Itsy Bitsy had been cutting a murderous swath through the city in his and Deadpool's names. Could be that he's just finally reached his limits of tolerance for an entity that, Flash Thompson excepted, has always gotten attached to already pretty terrible people and made them even worse, with murder practically being a feature instead of a bug. He might've been willing to leave it alone as long as it stayed with Flash, but after it got separated from Flash, ended up bonded with Lee Price, and then went back to Eddie Brock . . . well, I can understand him not wanting to take any more chances with it, but outright killing is something else.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 12-09-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Points well-made and taken. It is terribly out of character for Peter to actually try to kill the Venom symbiote --- lock it up, I could see, but outright murder? Then again, he did try to kill Itsy Bitsy over in Spider-Man/Deadpool, even accounting for demonic influence, and that was after Itsy Bitsy had been cutting a murderous swath through the city in his and Deadpool's names. Could be that he's just finally reached his limits of tolerance for an entity that, Flash Thompson excepted, has always gotten attached to already pretty terrible people and made them even worse, with murder practically being a feature instead of a bug. He might've been willing to leave it alone as long as it stayed with Flash, but after it got separated from Flash, ended up bonded with Lee Price, and then went back to Eddie Brock . . . well, I can understand him not wanting to take any more chances with it, but outright killing is something else.
    That's a good point, I didn't really think about how the actions from the Itsy-Bitsy storyline would come to play here. However, I don't think it is completely valid. See, this logic would work if it was the symbiote itself which was attacking people, or if Peter was trying to kill Brock/Price. But he seems to be irrationally attaching the blame to Venom itself, even though Venom (who has every reason to want to kill Peter after how he treated it in Venom #4) has done nothing but try to be a good guy. If he does think Venom causes more damage than it solves, he could just build some sort of spaceship and send it back to the Klyntar homeworld. That's the Peter who I know.

Spectacular Member

I want a new writer for Spider Man.

That's a good point, I didn't really think about how the actions from the Itsy-Bitsy storyline would come to play here. However, I don't think it is completely valid. See, this logic would work if it was the symbiote itself which was attacking people, or if Peter was trying to kill Brock/Price. But he seems to be irrationally attaching the blame to Venom itself, even though Venom (who has every reason to want to kill Peter after how he treated it in Venom #4) has done nothing but try to be a good guy. If he does think Venom causes more damage than it solves, he could just build some sort of spaceship and send it back to the Klyntar homeworld. That's the Peter who I know.
    That's a point, too, but I could see the logic working out similarly to how some people want to impose greater regular regulations on firearms access in the United States. A tool that is "good for nothing but murder" shouldn't be in the hands of just anybody, especially given the propensity of individuals who are already unstable, violent, and/or criminally minded to use them in ways that are guaranteed to rack up a disturbingly high body count. Leaving the symbiote to its own devices always seems to end up resulting in it latching onto hosts that are criminally minded, unstable, and/or violent and being exploited by said hosts to become exponentially more dangerous to the citizenry at large (and maybe humanity as a whole) than they would be without it. Thus, Peter's mentality is that it can't be left alone or even alive because sooner or later, it'll get into the hands of someone who wants to use it for criminal violence and mayhem and given the abilities the symbiote bestows upon its hosts, it won't be too long until people are becoming smears on the walls at the very bloody whims of the latest host(s). That said, I don't agree with Peter outright trying to kill the symbiote as if its hosts have no responsibility for how they've twisted and abused the powers it grants them and driven it insane in the process, even if I can understand the rationale and am sincerely hoping that the events of Venom, Inc. give him some much needed perspective.

That's a point, too, but I could see the logic working out similarly to how some people want to impose greater regular regulations on firearms access in the United States. A tool that is "good for nothing but murder" shouldn't be in the hands of just anybody, especially given the propensity of individuals who are already unstable, violent, and/or criminally minded to use them in ways that are guaranteed to rack up a disturbingly high body count. Leaving the symbiote to its own devices always seems to end up resulting in it latching onto hosts that are criminally minded, unstable, and/or violent and being exploited by said hosts to become exponentially more dangerous to the citizenry at large (and maybe humanity as a whole) than they would be without it. Thus, Peter's mentality is that it can't be left alone or even alive because sooner or later, it'll get into the hands of someone who wants to use it for criminal violence and mayhem and given the abilities the symbiote bestows upon its hosts, it won't be too long until people are becoming smears on the walls at the very bloody whims of the latest host(s). That said, I don't agree with Peter outright trying to kill the symbiote as if its hosts have no responsibility for how they've twisted and abused the powers it grants them and driven it insane in the process, even if I can understand the rationale and am sincerely hoping that the events of Venom, Inc. give him some much needed perspective.
    While you raise a good point, Peter really does seem to only have it in for the Venom symbiote only. I mean the Carnage symbiote is in the hands of a literal psychopath serial killer and yet you never see Peter so gung ho about killing it yet let Venom even cross his path and Peter loses his cool about it. It just feels like bad writing at that point.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Killing the symbiote would kill Kasady, as the two are inextricably linked together, so Spider-Man would be breaking his rule against killing people.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    While you raise a good point, Peter really does seem to only have it in for the Venom symbiote only. I mean the Carnage symbiote is in the hands of a literal psychopath serial killer and yet you never see Peter so gung ho about killing it yet let Venom even cross his path and Peter loses his cool about it. It just feels like bad writing at that point.
    The only explanation I can offer for that is that it's a lot more personal with Venom than it ever was with Carnage. Hell, Carnage was temporarily bonded with Ben Reilly when Ben was acting as Spider-Man, presumably learning his and Peter's identities, which it could have easily passed on to Cletus Kasady when they reunited at the end of Web of Carnage, but Carnage never capitalized on that knowledge because neither host nor symbiote gave a damn who Spider-Man was and only cared that he kept getting in the way of Carnage's murder sprees. Venom, on the other hand, established his bona fides as a supervillain by hounding and tormenting Spider-Man in ways that made it clear he knew who Spider-Man was behind the mask and wasn't afraid to capitalize on that knowledge to overtly or covertly threaten Peter's loved ones. That's obviously not something Peter's really forgotten or forgiven, even if Venom's actions came down to how Brock chose to exploit the power and knowledge the symbiote gave him. Furthermore, considering that everything stemmed from the symbiote being rejected by Peter and understandably being quite hurt by that rejection, it could be argued that Peter feels responsible for Venom existing at all and his determination to kill the symbiote is seen by him as taking responsibility for one of his biggest mistakes, even if he's going about it all wrong and very irrationally.

Fantastic Member

Beautiful art saved this boring comic from a D rating in my mind. It’s Amazing Spider-Man in name only buy this was clearly a Venom issue and served as a reminder for why I stopped following Venom years ago.

I’m going to follow it of course and love staring at every Stegman panel but I’m not expecting much story wise from Venom Inc and can’t wait to get back to the regularly scheduled programming

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Killing the symbiote would kill Kasady, as the two are inextricably linked together, so Spider-Man would be breaking his rule against killing people.
    Killing Venom would also mean Peter is breaking his rule against killing people though...