Astonishing Member

Default DC Holiday Special 2017 Spoilers/Discussion

Wasn't sure how crucial any of the vignettes would be in this, but I saw some creators so I grabbed it anyway. More good than bad, by a long shot. Really good actually.

Standouts for me were, well, there was a lot of good art, but off hand, first thing that comes to mind; Rucka's Batman/Wonder Woman story was nice even with its highly structured, almost Tom King-ish narrative and page layouts, but the part that really comes to mind is the welcome return of Bilquis Evely to Wonder Woman, and seeing her tackle Batman. My favorite art of the issue.

Denny's story was really nice because it's brief, bad-ass, feels like 70s Batman, doesn't overplay its own hand, and the art is utterly gorgeous. Contemporary Bat-costume and Batmobile, too, which was nice. I really like that Batmobile and it renders well.

King and Francavilla's Sgt. Rock story was ... well, dour. But kind of oddly heartwarming, too. Also gorgeous.

Landis's Superman and Lois story was easily the most heartwarming and "put a huge grin on your face". ALSO gorgeous.

Lot of good art in this comic.

Priest tells a Deathstroke family christmas album story that fits seamlessly into his run.

The Barry & Wally one was nice. Not my favorite, but I wasn't unhappy with it. The Swamp Thing one, too - lovely two page spread in that one, cute with the mistletoe and pine tree. I admit I kind of glanced the Teen Titans one and didn't pay it close enough attention.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Didn't even think about it - this is our first glimpse of Otto Schmitt as ongoing Teen Titans artist, right?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The stories were actually good. Loved the Max Landis Superman short and Deathstroke one. The others were really good too.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Wasn't sure how crucial any of the vignettes would be in this, but I saw some creators so I grabbed it anyway. More good than bad, by a long shot. Really good actually.

Standouts for me were, well, there was a lot of good art, but off hand, first thing that comes to mind; Rucka's Batman/Wonder Woman story was nice even with its highly structured, almost Tom King-ish narrative and page layouts, but the part that really comes to mind is the welcome return of Bilquis Evely to Wonder Woman, and seeing her tackle Batman. My favorite art of the issue.

Denny's story was really nice because it's brief, bad-ass, feels like 70s Batman, doesn't overplay its own hand, and the art is utterly gorgeous. Contemporary Bat-costume and Batmobile, too, which was nice. I really like that Batmobile and it renders well.

King and Francavilla's Sgt. Rock story was ... well, dour. But kind of oddly heartwarming, too. Also gorgeous.

Landis's Superman and Lois story was easily the most heartwarming and "put a huge grin on your face". ALSO gorgeous.

Lot of good art in this comic.

Priest tells a Deathstroke family christmas album story that fits seamlessly into his run.

The Barry & Wally one was nice. Not my favorite, but I wasn't unhappy with it. The Swamp Thing one, too - lovely two page spread in that one, cute with the mistletoe and pine tree. I admit I kind of glanced the Teen Titans one and didn't pay it close enough attention.
    I really liked it. Didn't get hooked into the Atomic Knights story, but I'm not familiar with those characters, and Didio's name tends to be difficult for me to get into.

I'm more than a little salty about the Landis/Manapul story being left out of the hard copies. If I'd known that, I might have had to buy it digitally - it doesn't seem fair for DC to expect fans to shell out 20 dollars just to get the complete book.

This year was a lot better than last year - I went back and reread the last year's stories, and it was a lot more generic beat-em-ups with a holiday thing tacked on. The best one last year was (surprisingly for me) Steve Orlando's Green Lanterns story. The Dini/Charretier Harley Quinn framing device, while really nicely done, and I wish Dini did more like that, was incredibly cynical, and didn't really allow for the kind of heartwarming feeling that the Bibbo framing device did this year. Also, last year didn't have nearly as many premiere talent on writing or art. A few solid names like Seeley and Orlando, but this year, you have a real wealth of brand name talent.

So, rundown.

Bibbo framing story - really nice, if cliched. Loved the wrapup with Constantine joining the Kents for Christmas. I've only read one other Bibbo story - in a Showcase issue - but that was enough for this to be more meaningful, with Bibbo's love of Superman.

The O'Neil story felt a bit shorter than the concept needed, but Epting's art and McCaig's colors were jaw dropping, especially when Batman comes down the chimney.

The Ollie/Dinah story was sweet, and it was nice to see Phil Hester on art. Very appealing, angular designs. And since I don't read Green Arrow regularly, it's cool to see Ollie and Dinah's dynamic - really fun stuff.

King's Hannukkah Sgt. Rock story was dark, but someone pointed out the 8-day miracle aspect, which made it a lot more meaningful. I'm not super invested in Sgt. Rock, but King and Francavilla did a solid job.

The Flash story by Williamson was pretty much what I'd expect from him - sweet, warm, silly fun.

The Deathstroke story - This and the Rucka story were what prompted me to buy this one. It was amazing to see Tom Grummett from Dixon's Robin on pencils here - I think I saw him on a cereal box comic this year, too - so really cool to see them going old school with art as well as writers. The story itself wasn't anything new if you've been reading Slade's series, but it's a really nicely encapsulated picture of his past family life. Incredibly cynical, but also amusing that the story about the assassin and his terrible family life is also the most explicitly about Christmas instead of "holidays" - but Priest is, well, a priest, so it made me smile.

The Landis/Manapul Superman/Lois story was really gorgeous. But as I said. Really salty it was cut out of the hard copy.

Didn't care about Atomic Knights.

Shea Fontana really didn't impress me with her Wonder Woman, but this Teen Titans story was pretty nice. Makes me wish Fontana could write more for Starfire.

Swamp Thing story - really enjoyed the sense of mystery and fear, and the ending.

The Rucka/Evely story was the second reason for buying this story, and it was a really nice connection to the Annual story that felt too cut short. Diana and Bruce's connection and parallels were really lovely in both writing and art.

Did not care much about the "archival story" from previous times. It felt a bit too much like an old-school version of Scott Snyder's story from last year's holiday special, where Batman has a moment of peace because somehow crime stops for a bit on Christmas.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I think I can guess the answer, but.... which Wally in The Flash story?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    He's on the cover, NuWally.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

No, it's Wally who returned in Rebirth. He's sitting alone in Titans tower. Not nuWally.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

????

Okay, to clarify...I have no interest in NuWally (I'm sure he's a nice character, but there are tons of nice characters I have zero nuts invested in.) Is Ginger-Haired Wally in the Holiday Special?
    Last edited by Kyer; 12-07-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

????

Okay, to clarify...I have no interest in NuWally (I'm sure he's a nice character, but there are tons of nice characters I have zero nuts invested in.) Is Ginger-Haired Wally in the Holiday Special?
    Yes. It's the white Wally. The one with heart damage because of the Lazarus Contract.

As for black Wally, he's pretty fun in Deathstroke.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

I gotta get me the Holiday Special.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really liked it.
    So, rundown.

Bibbo framing story - really nice, if cliched. Loved the wrapup with Constantine joining the Kents for Christmas. I've only read one other Bibbo story - in a Showcase issue - but that was enough for this to be more meaningful, with Bibbo's love of Superman.
    Easily the best vignette story of the bunch. A couple of the tales were a bit weird for him to hear/relate here but whatever. Also, that bracketed sidebar thought "(TOOK FOREVER TO COME BACK DOWN)" was a jarring awkward observation - what the heck did that mean???
    brackets.jpg

The O'Neil story felt a bit shorter than the concept needed, but Epting's art and McCaig's colors were jaw dropping, especially when Batman comes down the chimney.
    Too weird. HARDLY Xmas related. Ghost Granny planned revenger 2 generations later - nothing to do with her daughter? Reader has to INFER bats came down the chimney even though it was the best image of the story. No pathos or closure for the tortured grandson.

The Ollie/Dinah story was sweet, and it was nice to see Phil Hester on art. Very appealing, angular designs. And since I don't read Green Arrow regularly, it's cool to see Ollie and Dinah's dynamic - really fun stuff.
    Agreed.

King's Hannukkah Sgt. Rock story was dark, but someone pointed out the 8-day miracle aspect, which made it a lot more meaningful. I'm not super invested in Sgt. Rock, but King and Francavilla did a solid job.
    Another weird one. You point out the 8-Day miracle aspect which the reader might catch but how would Rock have known that part to pass it down thru the stories? And 'dark' indeed - was the Xmas spirit that he was able to get Rock to confirm he held out and definitely killed the German soldier?

The Flash story by Williamson was pretty much what I'd expect from him - sweet, warm, silly fun.
    Not near as fun as GA/BC story. It's showings like these that remind me how often presentation of his speed power is abused by writers. And, what, Wally just moped around while Barry ran around saving everyone's travel plans?

The Deathstroke story - This and the Rucka story were what prompted me to buy this one. It was amazing to see Tom Grummett from Dixon's Robin on pencils here - I think I saw him on a cereal box comic this year, too - so really cool to see them going old school with art as well as writers. The story itself wasn't anything new if you've been reading Slade's series, but it's a really nicely encapsulated picture of his past family life. Incredibly cynical, but also amusing that the story about the assassin and his terrible family life is also the most explicitly about Christmas instead of "holidays" - but Priest is, well, a priest, so it made me smile.
    Never got into this one. Might go back and reread after your high praise.

The Landis/Manapul Superman/Lois story was really gorgeous. But as I said. Really salty it was cut out of the hard copy.
    Again, weird. Why did jetpack crook's fate even phase or motivate Xmas spirit in Supes? Also, maybe superbanging out the dents in her car would have been better than salvaging the front seat? You're right about the gorgeous art.

Didn't care about Atomic Knights.
    Bah. Humbug.

Shea Fontana really didn't impress me with her Wonder Woman, but this Teen Titans story was pretty nice. Makes me wish Fontana could write more for Starfire.
    This might have been nice as part of the last Starfire series if it wasn't cancelled.

Swamp Thing story - really enjoyed the sense of mystery and fear, and the ending.
    What, Bibbo included an Elseworlds Tale to prove his point?? That space station could use a supply of dirt to help with Swampy's green thumb too.

The Rucka/Evely story was the second reason for buying this story, and it was a really nice connection to the Annual story that felt too cut short. Diana and Bruce's connection and parallels were really lovely in both writing and art.
    This was boring. Disagreeable panel jumping too. All WW basically does is walk around with 2 cans - of gasoline. The last page moral of their teamup was... okay story paralleling of their lives if... you're into the new Rebirth Wonder Woman being only dark warrioress with no 24/7 love in heart anymore.

2107744b06f5f8ffd3086c38c21e8c8a.jpg
    Last edited by Bookem Danno; 12-19-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: cover added

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Easily the best vignette story of the bunch. A couple of the tales were a bit weird for him to hear/relate here but whatever. Also, that bracketed sidebar thought "(TOOK FOREVER TO COME BACK DOWN)" was a jarring awkward observation - what the heck did that mean???

Too weird. HARDLY Xmas related. Ghost Granny planned revenger 2 generations later - nothing to do with her daughter? Reader has to INFER bats came down the chimney even though it was the best image of the story. No pathos or closure for the tortured grandson.

Another weird one. You point out the 8-Day miracle aspect which the reader might catch but how would Rock have known that part to pass it down thru the stories? And 'dark' indeed - was the Xmas spirit that he was able to get Rock to confirm he held out and definitely killed the German soldier?

Not near as fun as GA/BC story. It's showings like these that remind me how often presentation of his speed power is abused by writers. And, what, Wally just moped around while Barry ran around saving everyone's travel plans?

Never got into this one. Might go back and reread after your high praise.

Again, weird. Why did jetpack crook's fate even phase or motivate Xmas spirit in Supes? Also, maybe superbanging out the dents in her car would have been better than salvaging the front seat? You're right about the gorgeous art.

Bah. Humbug.

This might have been nice as part of the last Starfire series if it wasn't cancelled.

What, Bibbo included an Elseworlds Tale to prove his point?? That space station could use a supply of dirt to help with Swampy's green thumb too.

This was boring. Disagreeable panel jumping too. All WW basically does is walk around with 2 cans - of gasoline. The last page moral of their teamup was okay story paralleling of their lives if you're into the new Rebirth Wonder Woman being only warrior with no 24/7 love in heart anymore.
    The "Took Forever to come back down" was talking about Superman doing the coin toss - he flipped the coin too high, so it didn't come down for a long time. I'm surprised that the Bibbo story was your favorite. I thought it was very nice, but felt too much like a framing device to be a favorite of mine.

Agree that the O'Neil story felt too short (or too long for the format). Still, the art and the writing that is there works well enough for me.

That's a good point. How would Sgt. Rock know any of the dialogue? Eh. I thought it was still a pretty effective story. But it's not a Christmas story - it's a Hanukkah story, and I think that makes it more appropriate, since it's a holiday of desperate war, after all.

Since I don't really read Flash, I didn't question the story too much, I guess. I don't know how I would compare it to the Green Arrow/Black Canary story - they both had the same basic idea and feeling. I guess it comes down to your love of and experience of the characters involved. I know that Wally fans are probably not super happy about how he's treated, but again, I've never really read Flash, so I have no strong connection to the issue.

I'm really curious to know if the Deathstroke story works for people who haven't read Priest's (excellent) run on the series. It'll be included in the upcoming Deathstroke trade, though, which I think is great!

Why wouldn't Superman be happy to hear about a person trying to do the right thing? As for Superfixing of cars, I think Clark would probably argue that trying to hold onto the past unnecessarily isn't the best thing for growing as a person.

I miss the Starfire series, though to be fair, I only borrowed that one, never put it in my box. So I guess I'm part of the problem.

I guess the framing device shouldn't be pushed too far. For one thing, why would Bibbo include a World War II story for current year Superman's reflection? And would he really tell someone he doesn't know is Superman that Superman and Lois Lane are married? I just look at it as a nice device and don't think too hard, I suppose.

Huh. I disagree, obviously, about the Wonder Woman/Batman story. I thought the layouts by Evely were really lovely - very similar technique to Tom King's parallel narratives in I Am Bane and Superfriends. And Diana also lifts a HUGE water tank, too! As for Rebirth Wonder Woman being a 24/7 warrior with no love...were you able to finish the run? I felt that the last four issues really disprove that analysis of her character as written by Rucka.

Always Rakzo

I was pleasently surprised by this one. So many great stories from multiple talented writers opening in the best way with the return of Jeff Lemire to DC and delivering a little story that is satisfying for both Superman and Constantine. Huge props to Scott, Priest and others as well.

As a special I found it much more successful than the recent New Talent Showcase overall (Which is a bit sad).

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    As a special I found it much more successful than the recent New Talent Showcase overall (Which is a bit sad).
    I mean, the New Talent Showcase is a little like showing off your homework for a paying audience, so I'm not surprised that it's not great. But I do think they either need to cut down on how much they charge for the showcase, or stop publishing it. Both of the ones I've read have been really unimpressive.

Incredible Member

King wrote something dour that doesn’t really add up? Shocker.