Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The musical tastes of DC's characters

A nod to the "Sell me on Hal Jordan" thread for getting me thinking about this.

What kind of music have the various DC characters been shown to be fans of?

The most obvious example is the spot-on idea from the LEGO Movie that Batman listens to pretentiously horrible death metal he makes himself. That's now canon for me no matter what anyone says I also suspect Damian shares the same hobby. Like father like son.

During the Hard-Travelling Heroes era, Denny O'Neil had Hal Jordan be a fan of Dixieland music. In the 90s, Gerard Jones revealed that both Hal & John Stewart were fans of different kinds of jazz.

I'm pretty sure various creators have shown Lex Luthor as being someone who listens to obscure, dark and bombastic classical music.

Are there any other examples of creators putting the musical tastes of characters in the actual comics?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Kyle Rayner is a Nine Inch Nails fan.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    A nod to the "Sell me on Hal Jordan" thread for getting me thinking about this.

What kind of music have the various DC characters been shown to be fans of?

The most obvious example is the spot-on idea from the LEGO Movie that Batman listens to pretentiously horrible death metal he makes himself. That's now canon for me no matter what anyone says I also suspect Damian shares the same hobby. Like father like son.

During the Hard-Travelling Heroes era, Denny O'Neil had Hal Jordan be a fan of Dixieland music. In the 90s, Gerard Jones revealed that both Hal & John Stewart were fans of different kinds of jazz.

I'm pretty sure various creators have shown Lex Luthor as being someone who listens to obscure, dark and bombastic classical music.

Are there any other examples of creators putting the musical tastes of characters in the actual comics?
    Pre-FLASHPOINT Barry Allen was written to be a Fats Waller fan.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

Black Canary was maybe 'punk' that is if you consider stuff like punk or rap to be actual 'music'. Girder probably trash metal, John Constantine probably some indie folk song writer Orpheus and his type maybe that dude from the Cure.
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

From the "personal preferences" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Superman's favourite Metallica album is '..And Justice For All'.

Attachment 24801

He's having a laugh though. Metallica's finest hour has always been 'Master Of Puppets'....
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm sure I watched a Linkara review once that showed Batman hated rock and roll .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Yup.

There is also the comic dedicated to Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by dogwelder View Post
    Jimmy Olsen loves the Beatles.
    Attachment 32496
    Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Helena Bertinelli likes opera and does not like Carrie Underwood.

Also..

Quote Originally Posted by WhichDrWhowins View Post
    Black Canary was maybe 'punk' that is if you consider stuff like punk or rap to be actual 'music'.
    Music you don't like is music nonetheless.

Spectacular Member

I think the Christian/Jewish devil Lucifer appears like David Bowie in the Sandman comics

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Music you don't like is music nonetheless.
    No that's incorrect, I agree like 'art' music is subjective but the general consensus across many cultures on Earth is that music must have certain elements to be called real 'music' otherwise its a collection or performance of noise or sound fx, for example across many cultures many people believe music must have harmonies, texture, composition, rhythm, instrumentation, melody

If I take off my boot and bang it on a table and scream into a microphone rhythmically is that music? Sadly some people today believe so
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-06-2017 at 09:47 PM.

What is this the 1920's?

BANNED

I think creators are generally vague with something like this for a reason, simply that they know the readers like to project their own thoughts and likes onto the characters, hence why this isn't a question thats answered for everyone.

Regarding the New 52, we did have Raven digging her own tribute band, which seemed to be a Gothic metal kind of thing... sort of Lacuna Coil-ish

Batman - Jazz, Blues
    Superman - Country
    Wonder Woman - Folk
    Flash (Barry Allen) - "Modern" Pop (Modern as in any decade the comic is set in)
    Nightwing - 90s Alternate Rock/Grunge
    Raven - Goth
    Black Canary - 80s New Wave/Post-Punk
    Aquaman - Thrash Metal, Carribean Music
    Dr. Sivana - Polka
    Black Lightning - 70s Funk
    Last edited by Mutant God; 12-07-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Black Canary was maybe 'punk' that is if you consider stuff like punk or rap to be actual 'music'
    No that's incorrect, I agree like 'art' music is subjective but the general consensus across many cultures on Earth is that music must have certain elements to be called real 'music' otherwise its a collection or performance of noise or sound fx, for example across many cultures many people believe music must have harmonies, texture, composition, rhythm, instrumentation, melody
    Even if we accept this premise as correct, punk and rap are both included in that definition. So I don't know what you're on about, grandpa.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Kate Kane is a canon fan of Blondie, The 69 Eyes, and Sisters of Mercy.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Even if we accept this premise as correct, punk and rap are both included in that definition. So I don't know what you're on about, grandpa.
    We probably shouldn't tell him that it actually requires a lot of skill to sound chaotic but still be recognizable as 'that track'.

While not the comics, I immediately thought of "JLU" where the Question was singing that boy-band music to himself.

There's almost no way that Jack Knight never mentioned what music he was into, but I don't recall ... does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    While not the comics, I immediately thought of "JLU" where the Question was singing that boy-band music to himself.

There's almost no way that Jack Knight never mentioned what music he was into, but I don't recall ... does anyone know?
    Jack Knight was comics first hipster superhero, so absolutely. If he were created today, he'd have a full beard and a man-bun

Good call on The Question's love/hate for Boy Bands

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Batman - Jazz, Blues
    Superman - Country
    Wonder Woman - Folk
    Flash (Barry Allen) - "Modern" Pop (Modern as in any decade the comic is set in)
    Nightwing - 90s Alternate Rock/Grunge
    Raven - Goth
    Black Canary - 80s New Wave/Post-Punk
    Aquaman - Thrash Metal, Carribean Music
    Dr. Sivana - Polka
    Black Lightning - 70s Funk
    Are these from the actual comics? Or are these just your guesses?