Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

In my headcanon Dick listens to all forms of rock. He seems like the kind of guy who loves music and isn't too picky.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I know have in my head Superman playing fiddle opposite to Luthor's golden instrument as in "The devil went down to Georgia..."

Fire on the Mountain, run, boys, run
    The Devil's in the house of the rising sun
    Chicken in the breadpan a picking out dough,
    Granny will your dog bite, "No, child, no"

Which is a lie because Krypto does bite.
    Good dog.
    Last edited by Kyer; 12-07-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Given the sliding timeline, and the fact that I'm now OLD, it's hard to get into the headspace of the musical tastes of a bunch of 20 and 30-something super-heroes. If you accept that Superman is currently, at most, in his late 30's/early 40's, that means that he came of age in, what, the 90's? Even so, here's my take:

Superman - He's a top-40, pop music kind of guy. He currently like Taylor Swift, though he thinks Katy Perry's songs are more diverse. He also likes the score to "Hamilton." Basically, likes what's popular now.
    Batman - Due to his upbringing, he's likely to have seen more Broadway shows, so he has an affinity for Andrew Lloyd Weber and late Sondheim. He dismisses most modern music as "noise."
    Wonder Woman - Beyonce. Pink. She also appreciates good heavy metal. Most likely to take in music from a variety of cultures, which is a bonding point with Batman.
    Hal Jordan - Comments about Pink Floyd aside, I actually think Hal's much more likely to enjoy both Country and Jazz. He IS an old-school fuddy-duddy.
    Oliver Queen - I love Ollie, but the man is a bit of a hipster. He will like bands you've never heard of, and eschews the top 40 tracks for the deep cuts.
    Ray Palmer - They Might Be Giants. Weird Al.
    Barry Allen - Oldies station 80's rock.
    Black Canary - The current version is something of a punk, so let's stick with that.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I'd think any speedster would appreciate songs sung by Alvin & The Chipmunks (speeded up voices. Alvin must have a beautiful deep bass tone.)
    Ray Palmer and Weird Al?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Not based on any comics:
    Superman - Dolly Parton
    Batman - Tom Waits
    Wonder Woman - Nina Simone
    Green Lantern (Hal) - Springsteen
    Flash (Barry) - showtunes
    Green Arrow - Rage Against the Machine
    Black Canary - The Julie Ruin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not based on any comics:
    Superman - Dolly Parton
    Batman - Tom Waits
    Wonder Woman - Nina Simone
    Green Lantern (Hal) - Springsteen
    Flash (Barry) - showtunes
    Green Arrow - Rage Against the Machine
    Black Canary - The Julie Ruin
    Bold: the funny thing about that is that Hal would be listening to that despite it being very much more Oliver Queen music.

Superman listens to Metallica, with his favorite album being "...And Justice For All." That was established in a Superboy issue back in the day. He also enjoyed an album that was some sort of weird collaborative effort between Prince, Reba MacEntire (spelling?) and.....I forget who else, might've been Eric Clapton. Unlike Metallica's album, this one was obviously fictional. I believe Morrison also established that Clark loves Springsteen, John Mellencamp, and other "blue collar" rock-blues bands.

Kyle Rayner is all about Nine Inch Nails and heavy metal from the 90's. He wore a lot of Megadeth t-shirts back in the day too if I recall right. This is actually one of the things that made me love the character; we have the same taste in music, though I prefer Tool and Metallica more than Kyle seemed to.

Diana likes contemporary British club metal-techno, as established by Azzarello, and I think she's said she loves classical as well at some point.

Harley Quinn played in a punk metal band briefly. It was an undercover thing but she seemed awfully familiar with the scene. She also sang a rock song I couldn't place in the Batman & Harley animated movie.

Canary's band appeared to be some sort of punk-rock deal with modern sensibilities.....so by the standards of 90's punk-rock it's pop music (you kids and your weak ass music! ).

Past that, nothing comes to mind that establishes what different characters listen to and I can only go on guesswork based on personality, age, and region.

I was told recently that Hal Jordan is a jazz fan but I always thought he listened to country and I still bet he's got a couple Garth Brooks albums somewhere.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    We probably shouldn't tell him that it actually requires a lot of skill to sound chaotic but still be recognizable as 'that track'.
    4 chords, that's all you need, you can even mime or they can auto-tune you

...and maybe a lot of favors or selling yourself to some Weinstein creep - to make it in the music industry

these guys do it more funny

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Even if we accept this premise as correct, punk and rap are both included in that definition.
    Keith Richards said famously rap was for "tone-deaf people" and blasted Metallica and Black Sabbath as "great jokes"

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/is-...f-music.47576/

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-rap-music-real-music

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-bullsh...ern-rap-music/

http://www.debate.org/opinions/shoul...nsidered-music

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Good call on The Question's love/hate for Boy Bands
    when did all that start? beach boys?
    Last edited by WhichDrWhowins; 12-07-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhichDrWhowins View Post

when did all that start? beach boys?
    It is a pretty recent addition, actually, likely thought up by the late great Dwayne McDuffie during the JLU cartoon

BANNED

4 chords, that's all you need, you can even mime or they can auto-tune you

...and maybe a lot of favors or selling yourself to some Weinstein creep - to make it in the music industry

these guys do it more funny
    Or you can be like a lot of artists and just have the talent to actually play the instruments you are handling. But then again, thats not a requirement for pop-acts.

Keith Richards said famously rap was for "tone-deaf people" and blasted Metallica and Black Sabbath as "great jokes"
    Unlike the Rolling Stones who haven't done anything new for the past 30 years and is now living entirely off the nostalgia of their glory days, atleast until Richards or Jagger fall over.

It is a pretty recent addition, actually, likely thought up by the late great Dwayne McDuffie during the JLU cartoon
    It's kinda funny because thats the version I would have thought would say something like boybands were somekind of government indoctrination mechanism... kinda like he claimed certain flavors of toothpaste didn't clean teeth but made them detectable by spy satellites.

Are these from the actual comics? Or are these just your guesses?
    My guesses

Extraordinary Member

- Jason Todd was a fan of "Poison Idea" (a Hard-Core Punk Band) and was also shown to like "Blister Twister" (which looked like "Kiss" but the name seems to be based on "Twisted Sisters")

- Tim Drake was iirc show wearing Shirts of Band like "Green Day" and "Oasis", and iirc heard "The Clash" at some point (much to Alfreds displeasure)

- The original (silver age) Teen Titans were iirc all in what was popular in the 60s

- Batman hates Rock Music

I vaguely remenber Tim being a fan of Enya.

Batman hates Rock Music
    And punk
    "Punk is nothing but death and crime and the rage of a beast"

It's very easy for me to imagine Oliver Queen to be a Bob Dylan completist. Especially his now-classic 70s self from Hard Traveling Heroes. Even if O'Neil wasn't cool enough to make the connection when he was writing it. (He was very very cool in many other ones.)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman is a big Springsteen fan. Dylan, too.