Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Marvel execs: “Hey, let’s do DC Super Hero Girls, but with bad characters we still want to push because we’re incapable of recognizing failure and our mistakes.”
    tghis has zero to do with dc super hero girls

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Marvel execs: “Hey, let’s do DC Super Hero Girls, but with bad characters we still want to push because we’re incapable of recognizing failure and our mistakes.”
    That bitter X-Men fans can not ACCEPT not everyone likes that franchise? That the world no longer revolves around them?

UNLIKE Dc Girls-at least you have REAL teens. At least you got males in the MAIN not supporting cast.

Were they, though? They had a cult following and a vocal fanbase but they were nowhere near as popular as they became after the movie.
    They boasted a 60 run series-so at one point they were.

Who ever heard of the Big Hero 6 or The Incredibles before the movies got out?
    Who ever heard of a talking raccoon and a talking tree?
    When folks OPENLY hate the characters it does not matter what logic you toss at them.

They will use every gymnastic move that would make Gabby Douglas & Simone Biles jealous to belittle those characters.

And it does not matter WHO was behind Big Hero 6 or the Fake Fantastic Four-no one knew who they were. Nor did they know who Blade, Static, Spawn, Conner Kent, Ms Martian, Wally West and the Young Justice kids either.

And the GREAT thing about KIDS unlike ADULTS-they are OPEN to new stuff. As long as they like it-that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post

Were they, though? They had a cult following and a vocal fanbase but they were nowhere near as popular as they became after the movie.
    they have several books and events for years until the MCU picked them up and Marvel suddenly dropped them.

THey werent kept on for year selling 6k orders.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That bitter X-Men fans can not ACCEPT not everyone likes that franchise? That the world no longer revolves around them?
    I dunno, is it unfair of X-Men fans to want some of the younger or newer X-Men characters in this and promoted to younger viewers rather then continue to perpetuate a dumb media embargo?

UNLIKE Dc Girls-at least you have REAL teens. At least you got males in the MAIN not supporting cast.
    Should that really be a sticking point? With DCSHG it's less about them being teens and more just promoting DC's stable of female heroes and villains to young girls, which is probably why the cast are more "youthful."

Even this seems to be de-aging Quake and I wouldn't be surprised if Gwen and Squirrel Girl are somewhat younger too.

The boys are part of the main cast but they are definitely emphasizing the girls quite a bit. And I can't say I fault a franchise called DC Super Hero Girls having an all-female main cast given the tendency for Superhero fiction to only have one prominent female character, if even that.

That is like Alex Alonso's dream come true. A team with no white guys.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

They boasted a 60 run series-so at one point they were.
    I was talking about modern GOTG, the one the movie was based on. I'm not sure how popular classic Guardians were at their time, but I know they were published at a time when reaching the 60-issue mark was a lot easier than it is today, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    they have several books and events for years until the MCU picked them up and Marvel suddenly dropped them.

THey werent kept on for year selling 6k orders.
    Ehhh, I think you're overselling them here. They had ONE book that was actually titled ''Guardians Of The Galaxy'' and it lasted for 25 issues, with stable but unimpressive sales. Most of the spin-off mini-events, except for Thanos Imperative I believe, revolved around more than just the Guardians, so I wouldn't call it necessarily a ''GOTG event'', but rather a bunch of cosmic events that they were a part of. And some of those didn't have very impressive sales either. Just because it wasn't selling 6k, it doesn't mean it was a smashing hit either. Not trying to bring it down, though, as I think that was the best that we had from modern Marvel Cosmic, but my point is that GOTG was not the kind of franchise that would debut with more than 200k orders before the movie/Bendis push. It was not the kind of franchise that would always be guaranteed to stick around. It was not the kind of franchise in which all of the members would get solo books. It was not the kind of franchise that would get animations, video games, and then even comics about those video games. They had a certain fan following, but the mainstream kind of popularity? That was because of the MCU, no doubt.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 12-09-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Um... who said anything about X-Men? But if you want to talk about them, let’s talk about them. If the “world no longer revolves around them” as you say, I’m sure you could go up to a random person and they’ll definitely be able to tell you who America Chavez and Rayshaun Lucas and Dante Perutz are and have a tough time telling you anything about Wolverine. Because they’re irrelevant now right. People are all about the new legacy characters selling 15,000 copies and dreadfully reinvented characters that used to be good like Carol Danvers and Squirrel Girl that get similar sales figures.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 12-08-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Well the Guardians were popular in the comic world, they were unique characters, and in the movie the pretty much ignored comic stuff and turned them into something else.
    First I've heard of them having any popularity.

How many of these 3 things do you think they are going to follow?

Maybe the last? If they do follow the last and they are essentially new character i can see it succeeding even though these are mostly copies.
    Maybe Guardians was a bad example, but the point I was making was that if the movie is good in and of itself, it won't matter whether people liked the source material or not (and the behind-the-scenes trailer looks promising in terms of craftsmanship on display). On top of that, people don't have to care about the source material to want to see the movie; as I said in my first post, I'm not a fan of most of the characters in the movie and I really want to see it. Heck, I look forward to the MCU movies each year and nine times out of ten, I don't give a crap about the comics they're based on.

Finally, they do have some reasonably well-established characters in this movie. Quake is notable thanks to the MCU and Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider has built a following, as examples. Is it the team I would want? Heck, no. None of my favorites (except Quake) are on it and I tend to prefer the classics over the new gen. (although the point of the movie was to use newer and less-established characters, to be fair). However, taken of its own terms, it looks fine and since it hasn't come out yet, I'm not sure why we're all assuming that it's going to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    So? Nothing wrong with a roster like that.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 12-08-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

When folks OPENLY hate the characters it does not matter what logic you toss at them.
    I openly hate America Chavez because she is a truly awful character that does a disservice to the the Latin American population and the latino characters that preceded her.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    I openly hate America Chavez because she is a truly awful character that does a disservice to the the Latin American population and the latino characters that preceded her.
    I really wish we would have gotten the series from Image from Casey and Dragotta continuing the character from their original intention before Gillen wrecked her in Young Avengers and Rivera made her a hundred thousand times worse. Think: someone is killed. Then they are brought back only die in an infinitely more painful way. That’s the story of what happened to America Chavez’s character since Vengeance.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Oh don't worry, we are filling the villain spot. But seriously I'll give it a shot and if I don't like meh life goes on.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaquar View Post
    Oh don't worry, we are filling the villain spot. But seriously I'll give it a shot and if I don't like meh life goes on.
    Ming-Na Wen plays the main villain. That being said I'm not sure if she's only a villain for the movie or going to be a recurring villain.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

I'm just glad that they didn't do the usual crap: pick up adult "iconic" overexposed characters and turn them into teenagers.
    Worked for the X-Men.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Worked for the X-Men.
    I loved X-Men:Evolution, probably my favorite of the X-Men cartoons.

As for Secret Warriors the more that I look at the character designs the more I love them. I like how it kind of have a mix of more traditional superhero design along with a more Disney feel too it. I'm not sure why they gave Quake purple highlights but with way she looks cool.

This is also the kind of stuff that I’ve been waiting for from Marvel. If Marvel wants the younger generation of characters to become successful and popular they have to put them in TV shows and go beyond just comics. Also I think its pretty cool that this is going to be geared more towards girls. If DC and Star Wars can have a series targeted towards girls why can't Marvel? But yeah, overall I’m pretty excited about this. Hope it does well.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    I happen to think her latin@ heritage is one of the very few positive things that came out of her solo book. Gabby had a clever explanation as to how a non-human could possibly identify as a latina and I think that worked. Unfortunately the praise ends there, as the general writing of the book is just disappointing.