Default Hippolyta's girdle

One thing that I find interesting is how in Marston's and a few other versions Hippolyta's girdle made the Amazons unbeatable. I mean should that idea come back? I do think that would make it interesting if a villain takes it they become unbeatable. However, maybe it should only do that if it's important events. Like the Island getting invaded

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Yes please.

Amazonian items should be both powerful and sought after. The various lassos, the girdle, Amazonium, invisible jet, among other godly artefacts, which the Amazons are in possession of, should not only be special, but should be headlining events as catastrophies when they get in the wrong hands.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Well "unbeatable" is a very strong term that limits story options. I mean, the Amazons get into trouble, Hippolyta breaks out the Girdle, and they just win as a matter of course? A bit limiting there.

Now making it something that gives a MAJOR stat boost that made the Amazons capable of winning very tough battles? Sure that works great. I'm all for the Amazons having magical and/or technological weapons that make them a real power in the world.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Should the girdle give the Amazons any unique powers when Hippolyta has on the girdle? I wonder she generally is seen wearing it. So I guess how would it be activated? My guess should be that Hippolyta can control it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Should the girdle give the Amazons any unique powers when Hippolyta has on the girdle? I wonder she generally is seen wearing it. So I guess how would it be activated? My guess should be that Hippolyta can control it.
    I think it should definitely greatly augment the abilities of anyone who wears it. For Hippolyta, it makes her stronger, faster, and tougher than ever.

Hippolyta definitely controls the Girdle best by sheer virtue of the fact that she has the most experience with it. If she were to loan it to someone else, I'd definitely say the new wearer would have.....difficulty controlling their newly enhanced stats. If, say, Hippolyta were to lend the Girdle to Batwoman, it would be only natural to assume that Kate would have considerable difficulty adjusting to her suddenly enhanced strength and speed. If Hippolyta loaned it to Black Canary? She'd have trouble with her strength and speed, AND the fact that her Canary Cry may be much more powerful than she's used to.

Hippolyta wears the Girdle almost constantly. She knows her limits. She knows how much the Girdle enhances her. So yeah, it stands to reason that she takes to the Girdle with much more confidence and precision than someone who isn't used to having that much more power.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

How should it affected the Amazons? One thing I do think that would be interesting is Hippolyta should generally using the girdle on a basic level. What should happen if she uses it full mode?

How should it affected the Amazons? One thing I do think that would be interesting is Hippolyta should generally using the girdle on a basic level. What should happen if she uses it full mode?
    Like I said, I think it just enhances the abilities people already have. For most Amazons, that means just greatly enhancing their strength, speed, and toughness. Without the Girdle, Hippolyta may not be able to punch Superman hard enough to hurt him. With the Girdle? She can at least give him a good fight, if not outright beat him.

If there IS a full mode, then it would probably be something pretty similar to Diana's God Mode in the New 52. Your abilities are enhanced to pretty much god-levels and your personality may be in some way affected as well.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I wonder how should Diana be affected by the girdle?

Why not have the gridle actually changing Hippoltya into a demi-god or something that would be close in power to it? That due to the fact she is using her own power plus the girdle’s that it starts changing her down to her DNA .
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-17-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Why not have the gridle actually changing Hippoltya into a demi-god or something that would be close in power to it? That due to the fact she is using her own power plus the girdle’s that it starts changing her down to her DNA .
    I think Hippolyta is fine the way she is. I don't see the need for her to be s demigod, or have Diana-level powers.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member

The girldle is not the source of Hippolyta's power; it never was. Hercules never understood that and walked away with a nice leather belt (as the Amazons all smiled).

Or, at least, that's one version of my own head canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    The girldle is not the source of Hippolyta's power; it never was. Hercules never understood that and walked away with a nice leather belt (as the Amazons all smiled).

Or, at least, that's one version of my own head canon.
    In the actual myth, of course, Hercules didn't care about the girdle itself, and never used it. It was one of his Twelve Labors set by King Eurystheus. In this case the king's daughter Admete wanted the belt, so presumably it was turned over to her.

(Of course, in the most common form of the myth, Hercules killed Hippolyta. And all of this was Hera's fault. First, she drove Hercules mad, so he killed his own family. The Oracle at Delphi told him that, to atone for that sin, he should do as Eurystheus commanded - hence the Twelve Labors. Also, Hippolyta was impressed with Hercules, and was simply going to give him the girdle. So Hera disguised herself and walked among the Amazons, convincing them that strangers were going to carry off their queen. This led to the battle in which Hercules killed Hippolyta...)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    In the actual myth, of course, Hercules didn't care about the girdle itself, and never used it. It was one of his Twelve Labors set by King Eurystheus. In this case the king's daughter Admete wanted the belt, so presumably it was turned over to her.

(Of course, in the most common form of the myth, Hercules killed Hippolyta. And all of this was Hera's fault. First, she drove Hercules mad, so he killed his own family. The Oracle at Delphi told him that, to atone for that sin, he should do as Eurystheus commanded - hence the Twelve Labors. Also, Hippolyta was impressed with Hercules, and was simply going to give him the girdle. So Hera disguised herself and walked among the Amazons, convincing them that strangers were going to carry off their queen. This led to the battle in which Hercules killed Hippolyta...)
    Yeah, I don't care much for the general mythology on this one - it's not really a good story for Hippolyta, Hera, or even Heracles. But, then, real wars have been started for all kinds of dumb reasons.

I think of Hippolyta as powerful enough alone without an magically enhanced girdle. The girdle is largely symbolic to me.

Now, what I think should be in play are a number of magical, mythical items. Like the Gauntlet of Atlas. I have a story in mind for using it when Diana lives in Gateway and has inspired a certain sorority of young women at Holliday University...