View Poll Results: What should Diana's origin be ?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zeus

27 39.71%
  • Other God

1 1.47%
  • regular person

1 1.47%
  • She doesn't need a father

39 57.35%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diana's father

Mighty Member

Honestly giving her any father takes aways a lot from her origin for me. I guess a non important father is better than Zeus but I'd rather neither and we go back to the original clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean if it were regular everyday joe I do think it should still be alive.
    "It" should still be alive?!?

Are we talking about a man or some dude who has since been neutered?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "It" should still be alive?!?

Are we talking about a man or some dude who has since been neutered?
    My bad. I do think her father would still be alive. That he is the first man to be given immortality.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

I always have and will vote no father.

The clay origin is iconic and no father figure can take it's place.

That said, if I had to pick a father figure for her I'd go with a regular person.

Should the regular guy be allowed to be immortal?

Should the regular guy be allowed to be immortal?
    Regular guys have regular problems. I say nope.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Regular guys have regular problems. I say nope.
    So even if he is on the Island with his partner, who is immortal he should die of old age? Well true, I do think he should be trained by the Amazons.

Problematic Zeus is less problematic than retconning a "regular guy" sperm donor into a relationship with the immortal Queen of the Amazons.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Problematic Zeus is less problematic than retconning a "regular guy" sperm donor into a relationship with the immortal Queen of the Amazons.

But that's just me.
    How would it be more problematic for a regular joe than Zeus? Why would the regular guy be a sperm donor? I mean I do think he should be in Diana's life.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-07-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

So even if he is on the Island with his partner, who is immortal he should die of old age? Well true, I do think he should be trained by the Amazons.
    Nope. If it has to be a regular guy, I want him to be absolutely normal. No immortalitt, no Amazon training, etc. Maybe he was a sailor or something (in which case maybe Hippolyta got pregnant during the (*)sex raids) but overall, for the most part, he should be normal everyday joe.

* - yes, I'm okay with the sex raids being canon.

I get that it doesn't matter who the father is but rather how you raise your child. But in a sense why can't Diana have a father who isn't an abuser or rapist? In a sense you're are just having the same parent line as the rest of trinity's situation with their parent? WHy has Diana been a target? Doesn't that defeat Diana's origin? An abuser, rapist and a murderous wife defeat the point of Diana. Yes the Amazons raised her but even than Diana is a target and her mother gave herself to a rapist. She knows this. Why have sex with a rapist and an abuser, and a cheater? Why can't Diana earn her powers? Why can't Hippolyta just save a man and they fall in love? Why can't it be the happy origin?
    If you wanted to give Diana a father that was a god Hepheastus would be my choice. He's a more sympathethic figure than Zeus or Ares so you'd see the appeal for Hippolyta but he's got issues that he can't overcome so it becomes "the nice guy who becomes a monster" trope.

The amazons don't have that high of an opinion towards men when Diana's story starts and giving Hippolyta a well adjusted relationship might clash with that notion. And it might make it messy for hippolyta to raise Diana without him having a say.

I guess it could work if the dude died a death before she was born or even thought to have died in a tragic way but it turns out he's still alive. You could make her dad a c-lister like Dr. Midnite or an average guy like Wilfred mott from Dr.who.

my favorite companion, a kind old man who was a private in WW2. He lived a long life gazing at the stars and wants his granddaughter to live a more fulfilling life. He'd totally be awesome as Diana's dad, he'd be her biggest fan.

Dr. Midnite could work as her dad because his skills aren't inate so hippolyta would respect his hard work and dedication to helping others. Plus he is a total blank slate so you could use him however you want without putting Diana out of her own story.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    People haven't had a problem with this type of story for several thousands of years, then along comes you felling all offended by Zeus, what makes you special in this case?
    I am not offended.

People have been discussing the patriarchal/male supremacist aspects of this type of story - especially when it is treated as the default - and doing feminist analysis (and feminist versions) of myths, fairy tales, popular culture, and the like, for quite a few years. The fact that you've never seen it (or you feel special enough that you're above it) doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

And as I've pointed out before, I don't object to stories like this in general - although I have a issue with their near-ubiquity. I don't think they are the right choice for Wonder Woman, though. I don't think I'm special (in the way you seem to mean) - I think Wonder Woman's origin is special.

if that's the case you do an appalling job of saying otherwise, so perhaps you'd one day like to formulate it through something other than smoke signals from the arctic circle?
    I have done exactly what you suggest, thank you: https://www.themarysue.com/wonder-wo...nal-narrative/.

But I've mentioned that often enough that I think you're just being insulting without actually reading what people say. So I'll duck out now. Be well.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 12-07-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Nope. If it has to be a regular guy, I want him to be absolutely normal. No immortality, no Amazon training, etc. Maybe he was a sailor or something (in which case maybe Hippolyta got pregnant during the (*)sex raids) but overall, for the most part, he should be normal everyday joe.

* - yes, I'm okay with the sex raids being canon.
    I have no problem with the sex raids but not getting people drunk that the Amazons go to ports and have consenting sex. They look at the world and trade of their stuff for new tech to learn for it. The sex raids idea isn't bad but the way it was told was messy. Like why kill them. You could have left and that's it. I mean if the Amazons got to the boating ports and were looking around I don't think it would be hard for them to have a one night stand.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-07-2017 at 08:07 PM.

How would it be more problematic for a regular joe than Zeus? Why would the regular guy be a sperm donor? I mean I do think he should be in Diana's life.
    Why the hell should the Amazon's suddenly allow a "regular male" to live on their hidden, women-only island?!?

Hell, that would make the old TV show Three's Company seem like it belongs on PBS's Masterpiece Theater.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 12-07-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I just read this. Very well said, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything in it.
    Thank you for your kind words.

In my version of the "regular guy" father, Hippolyta is sent on a mission to Man's World by a goddess. She's there a month or two, seeking out and fighting some myth-related monster. A very decent and kind, but essentially ordinary, man gets caught up in the narrative. They become close, and spend a night together. But her mission is over, and "my place or yours?" doesn't really apply. (She has to go back and be queen of the Amazons; he really can't live there, and anyway has a life of his own, including a child from his previous marriage.) When she returns to Themyscira, she realizes she's pregnant.

Years later, when Diana goes to Man's World and becomes Wonder Woman, she seeks out her father. He has died, but she still has a mortal half-sister and other relatives to give her some connection in Man's World.

(Now, if you want the fan fiction version - well, I've never actually written it down. It's St. Louis. He runs a homeless shelter. He's missing an arm, from a war-time injury... But that's all besides the point.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/