Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dark Matters: Sideways - Derek James

This character really interest me, especially as he is being co-created by Grant Morrison, and he's got a great look, art and theme. But first I have to get this out of the way...

I posted what I wanted from a Vibe comic in the other thread but it's worth repeating...
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

I'd be interested in an ongoing series maybe called VIBE(S)

Have ...Cisco(Vibe) gradually understand and honing his powers, not just vibing where he can "see" other dimension/timeline events, but eventually being able to physically vibrate between them all, becoming an actual breacher able to navigate them at will.

The temptation of being able to constantly jump between them, choose one to live in forever, or to change influence one to his liking, where everything is "perfect", extract things, effect events he does like, doesn't like from one to the other.
    Effect his own time-line/dimension, almost creating his own timeline dimension as he wishes out of everything out there, imagine the power, the potential, and the danger.

Being aware off all the possible alternate realities/timelines, not just good ones but horrible ones as well, like a constant vivid dream he Vibes, I imagine would be quite overwhelming.
    Almost frightening. (as they've hinted on the show)

Even further, I'm talking more crazy ones, like a reality where dinosaurs became the dominant species on Earth. Or Atlantis or the Amazons were the Rulers, where the Nazis won WWII, etc.
    Anything available from the Comics multiple Earths and more.
    It would all be his beautiful but also terrifying playground.
    How does it affect (for better and worse) the "real" timeline, the one he left, the one he entered, the one he created by entering it, etc. And how does it effect him, his own conscious if his "reality" becomes so mutable?

It's all probably too much for the TV show (where he isn't the focus), but it can really play out in a comic.

There's a great theme and visuals that works for the comic character, and they've hinted at it, but dropped it.
    Combined with Cisco's fun TV character and personality at the heart of it, I think it could really work.

If this is why this ^ isn't happening, those wondering why Cisco Ramon isn't getting his own series:
    It could be cause they just gave the concept to this guy:

During the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, high school junior Derek James accidentally fell through a rift into the Dark Matter dimension! Now, as Sideways, he can create rifts in midair to leap through dimensions at will! But with that much power comes great liability—and tears are starting to form in the fabric of the space-time continuum…
    I do like the art, and obviously the concept, as it seems it can, and will be explored to it's fullest here. And he's Puerto Rican, which is great!.
    Although it seems they are just replacing Cisco. Or at least Cisco exploring the same powers through him, is going to become a complete redundancy.
    Which is a little frustrating. Also similar look and dork-grunge non-alpha personality. They are just calling him Derek James.

I hate to be cynical , but how about giving your few lead Hispanic* characters an actual hispanic sounding name. Derek James? Really? They couldn't go with Derek Santiago (a spanish equivalent) Is the name change supposed to to make him more safe and palatable for your audience?

In case you didn't realize it was Vibe all he's missing is a big subtle V on his forehead.

Cisco Ramon is now Derek James in all but name.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2017 at 01:57 PM.