Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dark Matters: Sideways - Derek James

This character really interest me, especially as he is being co-created by Grant Morrison, and he's got a great look, art and theme. But first I have to get this out of the way...

I posted what I wanted from a Vibe comic in the other thread but it's worth repeating...
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

I'd be interested in an ongoing series maybe called VIBE(S)

Have ...Cisco(Vibe) gradually understand and honing his powers, not just vibing where he can "see" other dimension/timeline events, but eventually being able to physically vibrate between them all, becoming an actual breacher able to navigate them at will.

The temptation of being able to constantly jump between them, choose one to live in forever, or to change influence one to his liking, where everything is "perfect", extract things, effect events he does like, doesn't like from one to the other.
    Effect his own time-line/dimension, almost creating his own timeline dimension as he wishes out of everything out there, imagine the power, the potential, and the danger.

Being aware off all the possible alternate realities/timelines, not just good ones but horrible ones as well, like a constant vivid dream he Vibes, I imagine would be quite overwhelming.
    Almost frightening. (as they've hinted on the show)

Even further, I'm talking more crazy ones, like a reality where dinosaurs became the dominant species on Earth. Or Atlantis or the Amazons were the Rulers, where the Nazis won WWII, etc.
    Anything available from the Comics multiple Earths and more.
    It would all be his beautiful but also terrifying playground.
    How does it affect (for better and worse) the "real" timeline, the one he left, the one he entered, the one he created by entering it, etc. And how does it effect him, his own conscious if his "reality" becomes so mutable?

It's all probably too much for the TV show (where he isn't the focus), but it can really play out in a comic.

There's a great theme and visuals that works for the comic character, and they've hinted at it, but dropped it.
    Combined with Cisco's fun TV character and personality at the heart of it, I think it could really work.

If this is why this ^ isn't happening, those wondering why Cisco Ramon isn't getting his own series:
    It could be cause they just gave the concept to this guy:

During the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, high school junior Derek James accidentally fell through a rift into the Dark Matter dimension! Now, as Sideways, he can create rifts in midair to leap through dimensions at will! But with that much power comes great liability—and tears are starting to form in the fabric of the space-time continuum…
    I do like the art, and obviously the concept, as it seems it can, and will be explored to it's fullest here. And he's Puerto Rican, which is great!.
    Although it seems they are just replacing Cisco. Or at least Cisco exploring the same powers through him, is going to become a complete redundancy.
    Which is a little frustrating. Also similar look and dork-grunge non-alpha personality. They are just calling him Derek James.

I hate to be cynical , but how about giving your few lead Hispanic* characters an actual hispanic sounding name. Derek James? Really? They couldn't go with Derek Santiago (a spanish equivalent) Is the name change supposed to to make him more safe and palatable for your audience?

In case you didn't realize it was Vibe all he's missing is a big subtle V on his forehead.

Cisco Ramon is now Derek James in all but name.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Grant Morrison To Co-Write Sideways With Dan Didio, Justin Jordan, And Kenneth Rocafort - https://www.cbr.com/grant-morrison-d...tter-sideways/

The official description for Sideways reads:
    Forever changed by the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, a teenager struggles to live through high school as he comes in contact with Dark Matter and gains the power to teleport through the Dark Dimension. But each leap brings the new hero one step closer to succumbing to the allure of his new power and its dark origins.

Is that him breaching through dimensions?

Sideways #1

With Morrison navigating, this should go in it's own unique direction.
    More very interesting characters and concepts http://insidepulse.com/2017/06/01/sc...ries-sideways/

http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/up...poilers-12.jpg

Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2017 at 01:15 PM.

BANNED

Tbh there is NOTHING about any of these Dark Matter characters that are supposed to interest you, because virtually every single one of them is a ripoff of existing characters. They are all about you being interested in the creators enough to buy something like this.

So if you are a creators>characters, go nuts. If not, dont bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Tbh there is NOTHING about any of these Dark Matter characters that are supposed to interest you, because virtually every single one of them is a ripoff of existing characters. They are all about you being interested in the creators enough to buy something like this.

I don't think that's entirely true.

A lot of these books seem to be analogues of various Marvel properties. So if you're a Hulk fan who doesn't like the current Hulk titles, you're supposed to give Damage a try. If you're a fan of Spider-Man but not enjoying the current books, you're supposed to read Sideways. Missing the Fantastic Four and angry that Marvel left them out to dry? Good news! DC is going to give you the Terrifics!

Creators and Marvel characters in different skins. That's what Dark Matter is selling.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm buying (a couple of them anyway).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't think that's entirely true.
    Unfortunately that's how it was marketed back when it was announced. Much like Image was a creator orientated company, Dark Matter was a creator orientated drive, bringing together the best of the best of what DC has in terms of creators, with a bunch of original characters.
    It's sort of the opposite of the New 52's, 'bring on-board every new and plague infested idea that you have, we have room'.

With the whole Vibe is Sideways thing I could see similiarities through their powers but i'm not sure personality wise.

It is possible that they abandoned vibe but given his role on the Flash that would be shooting themselves in the foot. I'm more sure it's just no one was that interested in using him because of XYZ (no real space, no interest etc).
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-07-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If the biggest hook of a character is who created them then that is not a good start. He does in most ways that matter looks like just a stand in for Vibe to me which is just stupid when you have the character your are coping just sitting around not being used. I don't care if it is co created by Morrison. So where Quentin Quire and Fantomex and they both are a blight on the x-books.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'll let the first issues decide whether to buy or not.

Unfortunately that's how it was marketed back when it was announced. Much like Image was a creator orientated company, Dark Matter was a creator orientated drive, bringing together the best of the best of what DC has in terms of creators, with a bunch of original characters.
    It's sort of the opposite of the New 52's, 'bring on-board every new and plague infested idea that you have, we have room'.
    Well, yes the creator involvement and rights were a big part of their opening salvo of marketing, but it wasn't the *only* thing they were pushing.

They were also pushing the diverse lineup of characters.

See, that's two things.

And the Marvel-like parallels have been an obvious part of the subtext as well, even if DC isn't talking about it (which is sorta the point of a subtext I suppose).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I hate to be cynical , but how about giving your few lead Hispanic* characters an actual hispanic sounding name. Derek James? Really? They couldn't go with Derek Santiago (a spanish equivalent) Is the name change supposed to to make him more safe and palatable for your audience?
    Name change implies it was actually changed to something else, but since the launch of the line Derek James has always been Derek James.

As for safe and palatable, on the one hand there are many Latinos with European sounding names, on the other hand there are many Latinos along with other poc who change their names so they get opportunities, like jobs etc.

Do I think DC thought about all of this ...no I do not.

So, I agree with you that the name is safe and palatable, and I feel Derek being a character that is adopted by a white couple also helps it feel safe and palatable.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-08-2017 at 12:07 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Name change implies it was actually changed to something else, but since the launch of the line Derek James has always been Derek James.

As for safe and palatable, on the one hand there are many Latinos with European sounding names, on the other hand there many Latinos along with other poc who change their names so they get opportunities, like a job etc.

Do I think DC thought about all of this ...no I do not.

So, I agree with you that the name is safe and palatable, and I feel Derek being a character that is adopted by a white couple also helps it feel safe and palatable.
    What I was thinking aswell..

DC has a bad habit of doing this “one minority at a time” thing. So I’m a little worried that they’re going to shelve Blue Beetle as long as Sideways is around.
    Derek resembles Jaime and they both kind of occupy the “DC’s Spider-Man” role. Jaime is definitely the Spider-Man charcater in Injustice 2 and Batman: Brave and the Bold.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-08-2017 at 02:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, yes the creator involvement and rights were a big part of their opening salvo of marketing, but it wasn't the *only* thing they were pushing.

They were also pushing the diverse lineup of characters.

See, that's two things.
    OMG I better sit down before I am blown away

And the Marvel-like parallels have been an obvious part of the subtext as well, even if DC isn't talking about it (which is sorta the point of a subtext I suppose).
    Thats true, but I am not entirely sure ripping off Marvel is the point about these characters, it's more like: 'Let writers go nuts on some stand-in's, if it blows up, no harm done and they dont come with existing baggage'.
    True enough Damage seems to be a Hulk-clone without shame, but from what I can tell, Sideways might as well have been Raven and Silencer pretty much Deathstroke in a different package.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC has a bad habit of doing this “one minority at a time” thing. So I’m a little worried that they’re going to shelve Blue Beetle as long as Sideways is around.
    Derek resembles Jaime and they both kind of occupy the “DC’s Spider-Man” role. Jaime is definitely the Spider-Man charcater in Injustice 2 and Batman: Brave and the Bold.
    Yeah it is really strange they cancelled Blue Beetle just as Sideways is being introduced and not to mention they are both the same teen Spidey arch-type. I hope they don't shelve Jaime for this, just when he was starting to get some much needed exposure.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Yeah it is really strange they cancelled Blue Beetle just as Sideways is being introduced and not to mention they are both the same teen Spidey arch-type. I hope they don't shelve Jaime for this, just when he was starting to get some much needed exposure.
    Well the book was pretty bad (what happened Giffen?!?) and hadn’t been selling well at all, so I don’t think there’s any conspiracy involved in its cancellation. But still, I would hate to see them ignore Jamie. They should just put him on the Teen Titans or make him the junior member of the Justice League. He would definitely be playing the Spider-Man role in that scenario.