Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I will say that what is interesting is that Derek is supposedly 18 and is a junior in high school, I don't know if that is an error, I don't know if they changed his age and we don't know that yet, or if it is what it says, I mean there are multiple reasons why someone could be 18 and still a junior.

It's interesting that Derek has that teen aspect when it comes to high school but also have that young adult aspect b/c he's 18 yrs old and therefore legally an adult which opens up doors younger teens do not have, I'm not sure the ages of Jaime and Cisco, but I'm assuming Jaime is a high school student and more likely to be 15, 16, or 17 and Cisco was early 20's maybe 19 at the earliest.

What I'm basically alluding to is that aspects of Derek might be the result of whatever is/was beneficial to Jaime and Cisco, I expect to see more things like this where Derek seems to have the "best of both worlds" from these 2 characters. I mean it was stated on this thread Derek's powers are similar or have similar like effects/properties that Vibe does, and it probably won't be a stretch to say that every time Derek puts on his costume he'll probably adopt Jamie's personality or something similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC has a bad habit of doing this “one minority at a time” thing. So I’m a little worried that they’re going to shelve Blue Beetle as long as Sideways is around.
    Derek resembles Jaime and they both kind of occupy the “DC’s Spider-Man” role. Jaime is definitely the Spider-Man charcater in Injustice 2 and Batman: Brave and the Bold.
    Yes it's very frustrating.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-08-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I will say that what is interesting is that Derek is supposedly 18 and is a junior in high school, I don't know if that is an error, I don't know if they changed his age and we don't know that yet, or if it is what it says, I mean there are multiple reasons why someone could be 18 and still a junior.

It's interesting that Derek has that teen aspect when it comes to high school but also have that young adult aspect b/c he's 18 yrs old and therefore legally an adult which opens up doors younger teens do not have, I'm not sure the ages of Jaime and Cisco, but I'm assuming Jaime is a high school student and more likely to be 15, 16, or 17 and Cisco was early 20's maybe 19 at the earliest.

What I'm basically alluding to is that aspects of Derek might be the result of whatever is/was beneficial to Jaime and Cisco, I expect to see more things like this where Derek seems to have the "best of both worlds" from these 2 characters. I mean it was stated on this thread Derek's powers are similar or have similar like effects/properties that Vibe does, and it probably won't be a stretch to say that every time Derek puts on his costume he'll probably adopt Jamie's personality.

Yes it's very frustrating.
    Reminds of when watching that Milestone documentary on AMC the other day Denys Cowan mention he went to DC for interview to show his work and the person said his work was great but they have one Black artist, so he wouldn't be getting hired by them..

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I get the Vibe comparisons, but why did you have to make that the first post of the thread? You already started this thread off on a negative tone.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Reminds of when watching that Milestone documentary on AMC the other day Denys Cowan mention he went to DC for interview to show his work and the person said his work was great but they have one Black artist, so he wouldn't be getting hired by them..
    I just had a visceral cringe.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

What I'm basically alluding to is that aspects of Derek might be the result of whatever is/was beneficial to Jaime and Cisco, I expect to see more things like this where Derek seems to have the "best of both worlds" from these 2 characters. I mean it was stated on this thread Derek's powers are similar or have similar like effects/properties that Vibe does, and it probably won't be a stretch to say that every time Derek puts on his costume he'll probably adopt Jamie's personality or something similar to that.

Yes it's VERY frustrating.
    Its annoying and I really would like to have a word with the heads of DC.

HarleyJim

Just got back into comics after probably 20 years and wanted a hero that didn't have too much history behind him so I could start from scratch. Have read up to #5 (I'm waiting on #6 to be delivered, I have #7) and so far I think he's a pretty good read.

(Spoiler) I like the fact that they skipped all the BS and he got sick of being a super hero really quick and is now being dragged along by the momentum of it all. Will keep reading.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyJim View Post
    Just got back into comics after probably 20 years and wanted a hero that didn't have too much history behind him so I could start from scratch. Have read up to #5 (I'm waiting on #6 to be delivered, I have #7) and so far I think he's a pretty good read.

(Spoiler) I like the fact that they skipped all the BS and he got sick of being a super hero really quick and is now being dragged along by the momentum of it all. Will keep reading.
    In the latter case, that's because Derek didn't really intend to be a hero to be, well, a hero; he did it because he lucked into superpowers and the idea of using them to play Superhero amused him, and also because he wanted to be an internet celebrity "Youtube-esque" style and figured LARPing as a Superhero would be the most fun and most lucrative way to go about doing so. Considering what his true motivations were starting out, it comes to absolutely zero surprise that he eventually gets "fed up" with it all, which in-context should really be read as "he didn't really know what he was getting into donning a homebrew cosplay his friend made and literally playing Superhero until things started getting too real-life too fast and too often, and he wanted out because he couldn't deal with the responsibilities he naively and ignorantly placed on himself, nor did he want to be held accountable for any of the actions and non-actions he did and did not commit while playing Superhero".

Basically, I like that they played the story the way they did for Derek, but I don't think the takeaway is what you might think it is, HarleyJim.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyJim View Post

Yeah it reminds me of Ultimate Spider-Man in a way. Derek is likeable enough that I hope he sticks around in one form or another.