Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Older or not, I just want Batman to be BATMAN, not Punisher in a Batman cosplay. Similarly, I want WW to be WW rather than Kratos or Xena in a WW cosplay.
    You cannot be talking about DCEU WW I assume?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I don't know what people have against an older Batman especially since that version is easily his best depiction; he's like an old war veteran, which just fits with the Batman persona. Besides, the young, 20 or 30 something pretty faced hero trope is just getting tiresome.
    Hey, I quiet like Ben Affleck's Batman, and the general idea of a DKR-inspired Batman. But I just feel that he has limited scope, particularly when it comes to solo stories. And when you're trying to build a shared universe of these characters, a Batman who's been around for 20 years, who's already lost at least one Robin, and who's already way past the prime of his career does seem strange, especially alongside a Barry Allen who's just started out and has only just gotten his job at the crime-lab, or for that matter, Diana and Clark having also emerged as heroes in the last few years at most.

They've basically skipped over the bulk of the Batman mythos - which would have been fine, had there been some decent exploration of them in the recent past. But there hasn't. Nolan's films dealt with Batman's early career, before skipping over to the end. So it would have been nice if the DCEU allowed for a Batman who we got to see during that midpoint of his career - with Robin, Batgirl, and a plethora of classic villains and newer or more obscure ones who haven't been seen on the screen, either at all, or for a while.

I think the ideal Batman for the DCEU, moving forward, would be someone in his mid-to-late thirties. Around Cavill's age, or a little older. The actor could be older still, but the character needs to be played as relatively younger. This should be a Batman who's been around maybe 10 years or so (not 20). And it should allow for the possibility of a Robin still being around, be it Dick or Jason.

Older or not, I just want Batman to be BATMAN, not Punisher in a Batman cosplay. Similarly, I want WW to be WW rather than Kratos or Xena in a WW cosplay.
    When did Wonder Woman eviscerate her Olympian family. Or am I missing something.

You can't possibly be talking about DCEU Wonder Woman?!! Did we even watch the same films? Wonder Woman is fine just as she is!

A couple of thoughts...

- While I don't get super excited about the thought of Hamm playing Wayne/Batman, his role in Baby Driver was in the Wayne/Batman and well played.

- It's kind of odd to think about that Jared Padalecki or Jensen Ackles are actually in the right age range to play a Wayne who has been Batman for a while and do so for two or three films before they age out of the role.

I'd leave Gadot's WW alone but reboot everything else since the casting for major and minor characters in these DC films has been pretty spot off. I simply don't buy Cavill as Superman/Clark. He doesn't "feel" like Superman at all to me. Brandon Routh, for instance, was a great Superman (starting from the obvious fact that he LOOKS like the character) but was saddled with a terrible Superman movie.

I actually like all of the cast. But i still want a reboot. I am not confident with the direction they are taking after four out of five divisive films. All evidence suggests that audiences are fed up of the DCEU. Restart from scratch. Try to keep Gal Gadot. And after reboot start with Matt Reeves Batman. He can make a film which can appeal to everyone including the critics. And i think we would have something special with his Batman. Just imagine two or three special Batman films loved by everyone. Fans, audiences and critics. There's a reason to X-Men's longevity as a franchise. Two beloved films X-Men and X-2 laid a superb and solid foundation. A couple of missteps were not much of a problem. As of now, the only such film in DCEU is Wonder Woman. It looks to be a fluke rather then the norm. DCEU is in a terrible situation, even if it is earning some money. People are just abandoning it. And after JL i am beginning to doubt that audiences have not loved Wonder Woman as much as i thought. Why didn't they come back again? Just doubts. Keep Gal Gadot and restart everything. People did not watch Jason Momoa in Justice League. Why shall i believe they will come again for Aquaman. Let that be the last film of this incarnation of DCEU and start again. There are a number of success stories with reboots in the superhero genre.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Don't touch Wan's Aquaman or Wondy 2 and everything is fine with me.
    That`s my main concern. The rest is digestive. Older Batman can work if they put good writting in it.

BANNED

And by the way Gal Gadot seems pretty well liked in the role but as soon spoilers came out I`m not sure how much fans of her movie wanted to see her babysitting the guys. Momoa as Aquaman was an unknown factor at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    And by the way Gal Gadot seems pretty well liked in the role but as soon spoilers came out I`m not sure how much fans of her movie wanted to see her babysitting the guys. Momoa as Aquaman was an unknown factor at this point.
    I read an article that said Justice League had a 93% approval rating by women.

Meanwhile, comScore and Screen Engine's PostTrak audience survey shows "Justice League" is generating a "solid" 4 out of 5 stars, comScore senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian said in an email.
    That is based on an audience that is nearly two-thirds male. Females over 25 are giving "Justice League" a "whopping" 93% positive score, he said. That is "likely reflecting the favorable presence of
    Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman," he added.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/just...1-billion.html

Rt audience score was also 80%

So most critics can go shove it. They just dont like zack snyder. Hes “problematic”

Goes back to 300 and Sucker Punch.

BANNED

Marvel introduced movie audiences to their characters in solo films, and built up to a team movie in The Avengers. DC tried to introduce characters in Justice League, and the introductions got in the way of the story.

Beyond that, Marvel has focused on its stories, which are always at least pretty good. Meanwhile, DC has focused on actors, directors and CGI. And it's obvious which approach has worked best.

After the three movies it's committed to make, I don't know whether DC will keep making them. Losing $100 million is no joke, no matter who you are. If Aquaman or Shazam are duds, they might well have to cash in their chips.

But if they go forward, they should stop connecting their stories. They can't beat Marvel at that, so they have to do something different. They need to make stand-alone, elseworld movies that don't affect what happens in their other movies.

If you can't zig as well as the other guy, then you need to zag.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Marvel introduced movie audiences to their characters in solo films, and built up to a team movie in The Avengers. DC tried to introduce characters in Justice League, and the introductions got in the way of the story.

Beyond that, Marvel has focused on its stories, which are always at least pretty good. Meanwhile, DC has focused on actors, directors and CGI. And it's obvious which approach has worked best.

After the three movies it's committed to make, I don't know whether DC will keep making them. Losing $100 million is no joke, no matter who you are. If Aquaman or Shazam are duds, they might well have to cash in their chips.

But if they go forward, they should stop connecting their stories. They can't beat Marvel at that, so they have to do something different. They need to make stand-alone, elseworld movies that don't affect what happens in their other movies.

If you can't zig as well as the other guy, then you need to zag.
    You can have unique films focusing on single heroes without throwing away a shared universe. If Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Flash are all successful, it would be silly not to have another team-up.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I don't know what people have against an older Batman especially since that version is easily his best depiction; he's like an old war veteran, which just fits with the Batman persona. Besides, the young, 20 or 30 something pretty faced hero trope is just getting tiresome.

This shake up will be good for DC movies in the long run

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    I'd leave Gadot's WW alone but reboot everything else since the casting for major and minor characters in these DC films has been pretty spot off. I simply don't buy Cavill as Superman/Clark. He doesn't "feel" like Superman at all to me. Brandon Routh, for instance, was a great Superman (starting from the obvious fact that he LOOKS like the character) but was saddled with a terrible Superman movie.
    I'm also in favor of a reboot and a recast. Gadot can stay though I have no objections if they recast the role. I'm not sure if Henry Cavill is a bad actor or not but I suspect the direction is mostly to blame for his blandness. Ben Affleck looks like he'd rather be in another movie. Ezra Miller is trying too hard to be funny. As for Jason Momoa, I read a comment that used the term "over-compensation" ... which sounds just about right. Aquaman has a PR problem? Then cast the manliest man one can find and give him some tattoos to triple his manliness. *sigh.*

Even if one did like the cast, recasting the roles will send a signal to casual filmgoers burned by BvS: It's different this time. These are the ones that WB need to attract: The non-comicbook reading public that saw Affleck and Cavill in the trailers and remembered that boring movie they saw last year. "Nope, no thanks. ...not this time." For the record, I did enjoy Justice League enough despite its flaws.

And while they're recasting, the suits might want to replace those working behind the scenes : the cinematographer, set designers, costume designers, special effects guys, etc. ... because this movie just looks ugly.