Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    There are other DC books I really like (Green Arrow, Aquaman, kinda Green Lanterns these days) and while I'd say they're better than my other two Marvel pulls, I don't think they compete with the Marvel books I mentioned.
    I would also say even the DC books that aren't to your tastes for various reasons (The Flash, Hal Jordan and the GLC, Superman, Action Comics, Metal, etc.) are pretty great too, though I understand why you're not into them.

I would put some DC titles on par with those books you're reading (which I also read, aside from Squirrel Girl), but that's just me and I imagine our tastes might differ on that front.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    ASM is terrible. RYV's first post-Legacy issue is better than the last three issues of that dross
    Even if I thought ASM was actually bad, which I don't, the Legacy RYV would still be worse just for the fact that it was SO freaking shitty. And I liked RYV for the most part up until the Legacy arc.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 12-11-2017 at 10:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I don't read Mr. Miracle or Batman (What I have read of King's Batman wasn't very good), but I think All-New Wolverine, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and especially Runaways easily kick the ass of every book DC has not called New Super-Man.
    King's Batman is a fuc*ing shit stain of a book. I don't know how anyone can like it. I mean, to each their own but I cringe every time I read King's dialogue.

I love Batman so I've tried to get into this run but, nope, can't do it. I've heard good things about King's Miracle Man but I feel like the same people also think his Batman is worthwhile so I'm not eager to give it a shot.

I don't know about his run but the Annual was one of my best readings since a long time. Art and colours were gorgeous.

As for Mr Miracle I've read many times that it was way better than Barman. I subscribed for it mostly because I loved King's Vision and it's also a 12 issues series so I hope a nice structure in the storytelling. But perhaps the dialogues in Vision didn't match your taste too. To each is own and everything is debatable of course.

Anyway thank you for the enlightening answer and recommendations!

Spectacular Member

Tom King does 12-issue maxis very well. Omega Men, Vision, Sheriff of Babylon and now Mister Miracle are all stellar. Thing is with Batman is that as a whole, I like it but find it weaker and less interesting than King's other work. However, King does amazing one-shots. The Christmas-themed Annual #1, Batman/Elmur Fudd, the issue featuring Swamp Thing, Annual #2 - great stuff.

I'm not gonna comment about writing quality. What I do prefer about ANAD/Marvel NOW 2.0/Legacy (and DCYou) over Rebirth though is the more variety in tones, genres, styles, overall stuff, etc. Rebirth is very generic superhero-y imo. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just personally not as interested. Love having niche experimental books like King's Vision, Lemire's Moon Knight, the current Black Bolt, etc and light, chill books like the current Hawkeye and Iceman series. You see the variety when comparing Waid on Cap vs Wilson on Ms. Marvel vs Aaron on Mighty Thor vs Cates on Doctor Strange/Thanos. Rebirth feels so plain to me in comparison, especially since it's primarily Batman, Batfamily and the core seven JL members.

Of course DC's turning around for me. Super Sons, Deathstroke and Mister Miracle are all great, non-generic and refreshing. Aquaman looks beautiful. Metal is completely crazy. Priest on Justice League honestly feels and sounds like a Marvel book to me and I like it. DC also has a consistently solid miniseries push. But in general I still tend to find Marvel's line more interesting.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I don't know about his run but the Annual was one of my best readings since a long time. Art and colours were gorgeous.
    I agree that the art and colors were gorgeous but the story and dialogue didn't do it for me at all. It obviously works for a lot of people, though, which is fine. I've long come to accept that what I'm looking for in a Batman comic and what today's fans seem to enjoy are very different. To be fair, post-Crisis, post-Miller Batman has never quite been for me. But King's run has especially not been my cup of tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    I'm not gonna comment about writing quality. What I do prefer about ANAD/Marvel NOW 2.0/Legacy (and DCYou) over Rebirth though is the more variety in tones, genres, styles, overall stuff, etc. Rebirth is very generic superhero-y imo. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just personally not as interested. Love having niche experimental books like King's Vision, Lemire's Moon Knight, the current Black Bolt, etc and light, chill books like the current Hawkeye and Iceman series. You see the variety when comparing Waid on Cap vs Wilson on Ms. Marvel vs Aaron on Mighty Thor vs Cates on Doctor Strange/Thanos. Rebirth feels so plain to me in comparison, especially since it's primarily Batman, Batfamily and the core seven JL members.

Of course DC's turning around for me. Super Sons, Deathstroke and Mister Miracle are all great, non-generic and refreshing. Aquaman looks beautiful. Metal is completely crazy. Priest on Justice League honestly feels and sounds like a Marvel book to me and I like it. DC also has a consistently solid miniseries push. But in general I still tend to find Marvel's line more interesting.
    I'm definitely interested in sampling Priest's League run - although I've heard he's only on it for an arc, which is a bummer.

But my feelings are generally the same, re: DC compared to Marvel. There's a wide variety of styles and tones and a greater sense of depth and personality to Marvel whereas DC is, for the most part, flat, generic, cookie-cutter superhero fare. When I read DC, it's to scratch a nostalgic itch. It's nice but it's nothing that I need to prolong and it's nothing that drives me to stay invested in a book or the DC universe in general. Marvel has an interest for me beyond nostalgia. It's not just comfort food.

I think some fans like DC for the very fact that it is comfort food for them and that's valid but that's unappealing to me for anything more than a very short stretch. If I want pure nostalgia with Marvel, I'll read my back issues. The new stuff has to be interesting on its own merits for me to invest time and money into and, for me, it definitely is.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If you think there's no skill or passion to Marvel's books, you either aren't reading them at all (most likely) or have a very different definition of what constitutes skill and passion.
    Just because a writer is skilled and passionate about their work it doesn't necessarily follow that everyone who tries out their books are going to find it resonates with them or that they enjoy it enough to actually keep up with. It's also distinctly possible that someone has tried a few of the books and found them uninteresting to themselves personally despite the quality. I don't know how many times that has happened to me over the years with writers that I know produce quality work that they are passionate about. Just as an example, I love Layman's Chew but I thought his work on Detective Comics was uninspired and I dropped it after a single issue. It was still quality work and I could see that but it just wasn't something I found enjoyable or interesting. Shame really since I was looking forward to it.

I think some fans like DC for the very fact that it is comfort food for them and that's valid but that's unappealing to me for anything more than a very short stretch. If I want pure nostalgia with Marvel, I'll read my back issues. The new stuff has to be interesting on its own merits for me to invest time and money into and, for me, it definitely is.
    Actually as much of a DC fan as I am there is such a thing as "too much nostalgia" for me as well. Both Titans and Nightwing bored me to tears and I dropped both because I felt that they were playing to the nostalgia crowd. I'm not so sure that I agree that every book in DCs lineup is going the same route but then again I was a Marvel zombie for many, many years before I became a bigger fan of DC so my feelings on the matter might be different than someone who was a long time follower of DC. I do however agree with you that new stuff does have to be interesting enough to me to bother following it in single issues. Comics are far to expensive these days for me to bother with titles I feel are not interesting.

As for Legacy itself I've been hearing some good things even in this post so I might be giving Marvel another chance. If anyone has some recommendations I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    As for Legacy itself I've been hearing some good things even in this post so I might be giving Marvel another chance. If anyone has some recommendations I'd appreciate it.
    Personally, All-New Wolverine is my favorite current Marvel superhero comic. I also like Spider-Man:Renew Your Vows a lot. Beyond that, most of the current stuff I follow is Star Wars stuff, so it's kind of a limited list, I guess.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Personally, All-New Wolverine is my favorite current Marvel superhero comic. I also like Spider-Man:Renew Your Vows a lot. Beyond that, most of the current stuff I follow is Star Wars stuff, so it's kind of a limited list, I guess.
    Thanks. I'll have to check those out.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Spectacular Member

I'd definitely read Mighty Thor by Jason Aaron, Guardians of the Galaxy by Gerry Duggan, and Doctor Strange by Donny Cates. All three involve Loki and/or the Infinity Gems that were so prominent in the Legacy one-shot. With Mighty Thor, I just jumped on #700 and had no problems, though I plan on getting the collections for Jason Aaron's entire Thor saga. For GotG, read issues #1-12 of All-New Guardians of the Galaxy first.

Black Bolt by Saladin Ahmed is amazing and looks beautiful too. This year's Vision (2015) and Moon Knight (2016) imo.

Captain America by Mark Waid and Moon Knight by Max Bemis have had great starts.

Donny Cates' took over Thanos with #13 which I'm hyped for because I loved his God Country and am trade waiting his Redneck and Babyteeth. It's also why I was so hyped for his Doctor Strange. Heard the issue was pretty awesome (COSMIC GHOST RIDER), I just haven't read it because I'm trade waiting Thanos, so I still have to finish the Lemire run. But I heard you can just jump on #13.

I'm definitely interested in sampling Priest's League run - although I've heard he's only on it for an arc, which is a bummer.
    That's a shame if true. As for the rest of what you said, wholeheartedly agree.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Thanks. I'll have to check those out.
    No prob.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Waid/Samnee's Captain America is rad. Like really, really rad. I'm usually not a big Mark Waid fan, but hella props.

Talk about a turn around for that title!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-12-2017 at 05:38 PM.

@nickytesla96 and Flash Gordon: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if any of those are up my alley.

I'd really like to find some Marvel titles that I'd be willing to follow in single issues. I'm willing to give their books another chance so long as they really intend to allow titles develop for a bit before throwing them headlong into some event (with the attendant relaunch) and so long as they keep their word about no events for awhile.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-12-2017 at 10:42 PM.

@nickytesla96 and Flash Gordon: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if any of those are up my alley.

I'd really like to find some Marvel titles that I'd be willing to follow in single issues. I'm willing to give their books another chance so long as they really intend to allow titles develop for a bit before throwing them headlong into some event (with the attendant relaunch) and so long as they keep their word about no events for awhile.
    Try The Punisher and Moon Knight. They are pretty good and just kicking off.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark