Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default Giving them weapons

    A thought occurred to me that for quite a while, DC (and everyone else) has gotten a habit of giving their characters weapons of various kinds (usually old types) whenever they want to say the stakes have totally been raised or 'now take this character seriously'. Like Wonder Woman for the most part could get by with her fists and her lasso, but whenever a more meaty challenge showed up, like Medusa, she'd quickly have both a sword and shield added to her gear. And this happened often enough that it's now become a standard part of her gear since the New 52.
    I dont personally have a problem with this, but at the same time I dont think it should happen with everyone or become permanent.

    Now since this is comics, and comics are like video games, where everything works sort of equally well, here is a small game.

    Imagine a character, any character, that you have to arm in some way, which character would you give a weapon and what kind of weapon would it be?


  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,031

    Default

    Doesn't the Lasso count as a weapon?

    Anyway for me, I'd give Jackson Hyde a pair of knives similar to his father's. They can act as a substitute if his water bearers get damaged.

    For Donna Troy, I'd give her a staff that emits bright light. And Cassie Sandsmark I'd give her Demeter's axe.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Güicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,986

    Default

    Some of the silliest I've seen, added cause it looks xtreme! are:

    -Flash throwing lightning darts. Like he couldn't out run anything he'd throw and be there just as quick.
    -Green Lanterns with the most powerful weapon in the universe which can create anything imaginable reduced to using and conjuring guns.
    -Xtreme Pirate Aquaman with hook-hand or sword, when the trident was so much more powerful and iconic.
    -Any street level brawler being the latest to adopt Escrima sticks.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Cassandra Cain - Escrima, dual pistols, a bo staff and a katana. Wouldn't need them often but she enjoyed stealing them from her brothers.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Some of the silliest I've seen, added cause it looks xtreme! are:

    -Flash throwing lightning darts. Like he couldn't out run anything he'd throw and be there just as quick.
    -Green Lanterns with the most powerful weapon in the universe which can create anything imaginable reduced to using and conjuring guns.
    -Xtreme Pirate Aquaman with hook-hand or sword, when the trident was so much more powerful and iconic.
    I'm pretty sure the Trident didn't have any powers until the New 52.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member MadFacedKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Trident didn't have any powers until the New 52.
    It controlled the Oceans and amplified magic Pre 52

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member MadFacedKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    Wonder Woman already primarily has weapons like Sword/Shield/Lasso. Aquaman has the trident. I'd give him the Trident Bunn gave him though have Poseidon Bless him again and allow him to use it. Hawkman and Hawkgirl have maces but I think they should have a variety of nth metal gear.

    Hal has a weapon but if we're going with more Earth based I'd give him a bow and arrow and say Ollie gave him some training.
    John and Cyborg would use guns.
    Superman any form of a blunt instrument would favor his strength Hammer/Mace/Etc
    Flash a sword/kunai anything swift.
    Dinah has a staff.
    Not sure what I'd give Batman (His utility belt?)(Tends to be a power)

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Liverpool, Merseyside, England
    Posts
    9,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Wonder Woman already primarily has weapons like Sword/Shield/Lasso. Aquaman has the trident. I'd give him the Trident Bunn gave him though have Poseidon Bless him again and allow him to use it. Hawkman and Hawkgirl have maces but I think they should have a variety of nth metal gear.

    Hal has a weapon but if we're going with more Earth based I'd give him a bow and arrow and say Ollie gave him some training.
    John and Cyborg would use guns.
    Superman any form of a blunt instrument would favor his strength Hammer/Mace/Etc
    Flash a sword/kunai anything swift.
    Dinah has a staff.
    Not sure what I'd give Batman (His utility belt?)(Tends to be a power)
    I always counted Batarangs as a weapon for Batman personally.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member MadFacedKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I always counted Batarangs as a weapon for Batman personally.
    Works ����*♂️ was thinking more traditional stuff. Shurikens maybe

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I always counted Batarangs as a weapon for Batman personally.
    Do we even see him use those very much anymore? The Batarang has kind of evolved into something more similar to throwing stars these days (especially after the movies). It's one of the few occasions where Bats has taken from Moon Knight and his crescent darts rather than the other way around.

    In terms of heroes who don't already have a signature weapon:
    -- The Atom: a laser gun
    -- Black Canary: a pair of escrima fighting sticks
    -- Superman: super-dense orbs the size of baseballs that he could hurl with devastating effect.
    -- The Question: a sock full of D batteries

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,266

    Default

    Donna Troy
    Rings of the Titans

    The Lasso should remain Wonder Woman's signature weapon.

    Similar to Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet, and the Mandarin's Rings, Donna Troy collects a ring from each of the 8 Titans and Titanesses imprisoned around the world. Each ring is a simple stone bands with a gem setting, but when Donna gives the crossed-wrist Amazon salute, they fuse to become brass knuckles, or power up further to mighty iron gauntlets. Each ring can imbue herself or others with a temporary blessing that corresponds to the dominion of each Titan.

    Knuckle-Duster-Engagement-Rings-2076.jpg

    Some rings are far more useful, like the rings of the East and South: Hyperion's ring grants flight, Theia's ring grants advanced supersight, Krios' grants strength and invlunerability, Eurybia's grants instant skills like sailing, horseriding, languages, ace pilot. Others less so, and circumstantial, like Phoebe's that lets her enter other people's dreams. Some are dangerous, like Iapetos's ring of instant death.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Terra should have a small knife or hidden switchblade for the purpose of surprise attacks.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Wonder Woman already primarily has weapons like Sword/Shield/Lasso. Aquaman has the trident. I'd give him the Trident Bunn gave him though have Poseidon Bless him again and allow him to use it. Hawkman and Hawkgirl have maces but I think they should have a variety of nth metal gear.

    Hal has a weapon but if we're going with more Earth based I'd give him a bow and arrow and say Ollie gave him some training.
    John and Cyborg would use guns.
    Superman any form of a blunt instrument would favor his strength Hammer/Mace/Etc
    Flash a sword/kunai anything swift.
    Dinah has a staff.
    Not sure what I'd give Batman (His utility belt?)(Tends to be a power)
    i'm thinking hal should have some training in using firearms as well...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •