Question App recommendations for tracking a huge collection?

Is there a Droid app where I can just use my phone camera to scan all the barcodes of all my graphic novels and have it compile a digital list of my library, preferably with the option to then sort them into categories like "read" "unread" "loaned out" etc? I don't really care about giving them a review \ rating. I know a lot of them might be covered by Goodreads, but I was hoping for something more comics focused.

Similarly, is there one that can do that and (or a separate one where) I can scan all the covers of my single issues and keep a record of what I own on me at all times? It'd be a huge ordeal to get them all in the system at first but then after that I could just add them every week when I file them away. The way my new Google phone can instantly do reverse google image searches when I take pics would prolly work nicely for identifying them. It even OCRs the text sometimes.

Some nice-to-have features for that one would be things like; auto identifying gaps in runs to create a wishlist for when I am shopping, and a way to tag the floppies for which box it's in so when I want to find one I don't have to go searching my storage... currently even with the boxes labeled it's hard to find things as I don't use dividers inside them yet and certain titles\characters extend beyond a single box.

Stuff like this must exist right? If not can one of you make it =). There definitely used to be websites which were similar, and even had priceguide values too. Thanks in advance

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

There are several good ones. One I have used for years and another I have just started using...
    The one I have used for years is
    www.comicbookdb.com a very good site more data oriented.

The other is
    www.leagueofcomicgeeks.com far more graphics oriented, can't really give too much detail on it as I have just started using it myself. But check those out and see if they meet what you are looking for.

Fantastic Member

I use the collectorz comic book database. It's available for tablets and phones. You can back up the data, too. The nitpicks include no "select all" function when adding large runs or entire series into the database and there needs to be an autograph button and ability to choose creators on that specific issue/collection.

I use google drive to track everything nice and easy it is all stored on a server and can be pulled up anywhere.

I recommend http://www.leagueofcomicgeeks.com/
    The app includes a barcode scanner. The database is huge and if something is missing, it can easily be added.

I really appreciate the replies you guys.

I downloaded a handful and tried them out, and ended up preferring and buying the CLZ app John Aston recommended. It had the right mix of features from my wishlist (none had all, that I found). Some of them I was surprised at how slow the barcode scanner is -- that's a dealbreaker for getting a huge collection in.

Pretty much all that is missing is the gap analysis of runs, and the value or cost amounts. Creating your own tags makes up for that though, especially for things like autographs.

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post

I downloaded a handful and tried them out, and ended up preferring and buying the CLZ app John Aston recommended. It had the right mix of features from my wishlist (none had all, that I found). Some of them I was surprised at how slow the barcode scanner is -- that's a dealbreaker for getting a huge collection in.

Pretty much all that is missing is the gap analysis of runs, and the value or cost amounts. Creating your own tags makes up for that though, especially for things like autographs.

I've just added the League of Comic books one to my phone, will test it out,. If not I'll pony up the $15 for the CLZ one.

Thanks for recommending LOCG. Loving it so far. Really beautifully designed.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Thanks for recommending LOCG. Loving it so far. Really beautifully designed.
    The only problem I have found with LOCG so far has been their limited catalog I guess. With a collection of over 18,000 I have found quite a few series/books that I have that arent in their database. It's easy enough to add the books, just takes time to compile the information and wait for it to be approved, but over all it's fairly nice.
    Comicbookdb has fewer data blanks, but it's a little more of a chore to get books added, mostly due to the specs required for adding covers. LOCG has a barcode scanner that's fairly decent and CBDB doesn't have one at all (and last communication with them they aren't planning on adding one any time soon.
    Over all, so far, i have found CBDB to be easier to navigate when I am out and say...going through back issue bins to find out if I have a specific issue or not. But I do like LOCG and plan on migrating my collection over entirely as time goes on.

Incredible Member

Try my.comics.org - it's part of the Grand Comics Database, which is the largest comic database around.

From the site: "Backed by the largest comic database on the planet, my.comics.org allows you to track your comic collection.

Just search inside the GCD database using the my.comics.org site, marked by the top bar in red, and select comics from search results to add to your collection, which includes a possible separation into have and want lists. Additionally, ongoing series can be subscribed to a collection, so you can pull new issues into a collection once they are added to the database. There are some (limited) ways to import existing collection data, and you will always be able to export your collection data. Note that you can mark a collection as public and provide view access to others by giving out the link, for example to distribute your want or for sale lists.

Click on help above for more details on the capabilities, including how to store information such as condition, location, or was read."

https://my.comics.org/accounts/login...llection/list/
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post

Yeah. Another recommendation for Collectorz app here. I use the tags, as you said, to sort between comics, trades, hardcover, absolutes, autographed, CGC etc. It works real well.

Spectacular Member

Now, why did I not notice this thread...
    What's everyone else recommending? Deeply interested in what's out there.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm going to look at some of these suggestions later.

Currently I use an app called Library Thing. It can also be accessed via the web. It just catalogs the books. It's very basic but effective for what I wanted which was instant inventory.
    I can sort by name within the Collection and there is probably other functions I've not explored.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime