Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battle Angel Alita

Umm...I don't know what to think. When I heard that James Cameron always wanted to direct the live action movie, I was interested. Then I heard that Cameron was going to pass off the director's role to Robert Rodriguez and I was still kind of interested.

I honestly did not realize that the movie was actually into production and from the looks of it, they've done extensive work. The choice for CGI into live-action integration is...strange, to say the least.

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

She Looks to cartoonish to me.

I actually like what I'm seeing here. I never read the full series, just the first couple volumes, but the story here seems to cover the ground of that first arc and to me it looks exciting.

I need to re-read this and get over my squeamishness toward the hyperviolence in seinen manga, because I find the story very intriguing.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I looks weird. But it looks beautiful too. The eyes of anime characters are always such that they look beautiful. But they can't be translated to live action without appearing weird. She totally looks like a cg character yet real enough to almost pass of as a real person. Strange. But interesting. I generally call cg work to be poor when it is noticeable. Yet here its noticeable but good to look at. I find it mildly disturbing too. Okay they have caught my attention.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Honestly the trailer looks good to me, the other robots looked bit transformer generic CGI but Alita looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I looks weird. But it looks beautiful too. The eyes of anime characters are always such that they look beautiful. But they can't be translated to live action without appearing weird. She totally looks like a cg character yet real enough to almost pass of as a real person. Strange. But interesting. I generally call cg work to be poor when it is noticeable. Yet here its noticeable but good to look at. I find it mildly disturbing too. Okay they have caught my attention.
    She seems to be the only one with eyes like that, so I'm thinking it's got to be her cyborg body.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    She seems to be the only one with eyes like that, so I'm thinking it's got to be her cyborg body.
    Yes it has to be due to the cyborg body.

I looked at the trailer a few more times. In some shots she looks more real then other shots. Its not just about the eyes here, though they are the most noticeable aspect here. Let us see how it all turns out.

that is uncanny valley to a truly disturbing degree

Looks like they're adapting the first couple arcs with Makaku and Hugo, the same sort of distillation they did way back in the 1990s OVA 2-parter.

If it's the case that Jennifer Connelly isn't a gender-swapped Desty Nova, she's playing Chiren and, well, the less said the better.

Rosa Salazar's eyes are already big enough so I'm not sure about this aesthetic choice. If it's to immediately other Alita as a cyborg for the viewer, that kind of misses the point of the story. Everyone thinks she's essentially a normal civilian until they try to lift her up or she punches something, and it's that gulf that drives her existential crisis.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    that is uncanny valley to a truly disturbing degree
    What makes Gollum or the Na'vi different?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    They aren't supposed to look human.

BANNED

I'm reminded of Christopher Lloyd in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Uncanny Valley gets progressively worse the more human something looks, before things like CGI stuff like Clowns and Dolls were big causes
    The fact that she's alongside normal actors doesn't help either as it gives a direct comparison that something is just off
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-11-2017 at 09:57 AM.