Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Ultimate Peter was more emotional than MCU Peter, more of an angsty hot head -- which tracks well with the original Ditko version. He was never "popular" but he did have friends both in the beginning and later parts of the run. Peter developing a little clique is also true of the Romita era onward.

One of my issues with MCU Peter is how he's too polite, deferential... a little too cutesy. (If there's a "boy band" version of Pete, it's the MCU one.) I also think we don't have a clear understanding of his motivations or his moral code. MCU Spider-Man is a legacy character for Iron Man at this point, but maybe Far From Home will change that.

I think the best version of Peter Parker to be represented on-screen, frankly, is the Jake Johnson version from Into The Spider Verse.

--He makes a bad first impression but learns and demonstrates the value of adult responsibility. That's a pretty cool arc to do with Peter without doing the origin story!

--He's the right mix of emotional sadsack and sardonic chatty quipster

--We have a very clear sense of his moral code

--He's progressed to a point where his story is new and interesting... and in doing so, allows enough space for Miles to be the "high school Spidey"

--He actually moves with the kind of agility you imagine Spidey having when reading the comics!
    Now he's a legacy character. Great. Because that sidekick nonsense wasn't enough.

i wonder when toys will come to stores. I hope for some cool Funko bobbleheads.

Collider Showed the New Spider Suit for Endgame

https://twitter.com/ColliderVideo/st...926264321?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Collider Showed the New Spider Suit for Endgame

https://twitter.com/ColliderVideo/st...926264321?s=20

Compact, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Ultimate Peter was more emotional than MCU Peter, more of an angsty hot head -- which tracks well with the original Ditko version. He was never "popular" but he did have friends both in the beginning and later parts of the run. Peter developing a little clique is also true of the Romita era onward.

One of my issues with MCU Peter is how he's too polite, deferential... a little too cutesy. (If there's a "boy band" version of Pete, it's the MCU one.) I also think we don't have a clear understanding of his motivations or his moral code. MCU Spider-Man is a legacy character for Iron Man at this point, but maybe Far From Home will change that.
    I pretty much agree with all of your points, although I'd say the scene where he goes after Vulture at the end is a pretty clear illustration of his personal moral code.

I think it would've been a nice contrast if he was super-polite and differential as Peter but much less so as Spider-Man, but Holland basically acts the same whether he's in suit or out.
    I think the best version of Peter Parker to be represented on-screen, frankly, is the Jake Johnson version from Into The Spider Verse.

--He makes a bad first impression but learns and demonstrates the value of adult responsibility. That's a pretty cool arc to do with Peter without doing the origin story!

--He's the right mix of emotional sadsack and sardonic chatty quipster

--We have a very clear sense of his moral code

--He's progressed to a point where his story is new and interesting... and in doing so, allows enough space for Miles to be the "high school Spidey"

--He actually moves with the kind of agility you imagine Spidey having when reading the comics!
    I was thinking more Yuri Lownethal, but I guess he doesn't count as "on-screen" in the sense we're talking about.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I pretty much agree with all of your points, although I'd say the scene where he goes after Vulture at the end is a pretty clear illustration of his personal moral code.
    I think the fact that he saves Vulture is the best indication of his morality, definitely... but pursuing Vulture, idk. He's going after Stark's tech, so Peter does have kind of a vested interest in stopping him.

It's frustrating how many of Peter's actions in MCU are basically "Iron Man Jr" because even in the Civil War comics, Peter was never that deferential toward Stark... he called him "boss" to annoy him, and he wasn't too timid to make demands or talk back. I like my Spidey as a sassy rebel, as he generally is in most comics.

I was thinking more Yuri Lownethal, but I guess he doesn't count as "on-screen" in the sense we're talking about.
    The PS4 portrayal was awesome. He's the best version of "peak Peter." There were so many great creative choices with how to fit MJ, May, Miles, Jameson, Osborn and Otto into Peter's life in a naturalistic and modern way. I think that Marvel editorial / Nick Spencer would be wise to take a cue from the game and have MJ start working at the Bugle as soon as possible.

Yuri Lowenthal & Jake Johnson -- the animated feature Peters, let's say -- are tied for first, in my book.

Tobey, Andrew, and Tom -- the live-actions -- are all tied for second. Each portrayal had unique pros and cons, but they all ultimately felt "Peter-adjacent" to me. Whereas the ITSV and PS4 versions were like "oh my god, that's him, and what's more, they have such a good handle on the character that they're then able to do new and surprising things with him."
    Last edited by gregpersons; 04-08-2019 at 12:28 PM.

58 posts on whether MJ should be a reporter and other questions about the pop culture influences of the Spider-Man video games and films were moved to a new thread.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-be-a-reporter
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Now he's a legacy character. Great. Because that sidekick nonsense wasn't enough.
    That is a bit of an exaggeration.

MCU Pete lives in a world where a cooler Elton Musk is arguably the nation's greatest hero (or he's #2).

If somebody took you out of the hood at 16 to another country and exposed you to all this cool stuff, wouldn't you want to sign on?

Now make that recruiter Cooler Elton Musk.

Of course, Pete's deferential he's got a supporter (something the 616 version didn't have 'til way later) and possible patron (which didn't happen in the comics until Civil War).

Even the 616 version of Spider Man sought cash and red thru joining either the FF or the Avengers. If Reed Richards had
    actively sought out young Pete to join the FF he'd of been all to happy to sign on, if a steady paycheck was in it for him.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

https://i.redd.it/ktn15coji9t21.jpg

Jon Watts gives insight to Peter’s arc in FFH.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    https://i.redd.it/ktn15coji9t21.jpg

Jon Watts gives insight to Peter’s arc in FFH.
    Kind of an interesting take on Spider-Man's coming of age story.

Traditionally Peter is kind of forced to be an adult because of his circumstances, and people always regard Spider-Man as an adult, but here it's more that he wants to be treated as an adult and isn't prepared for when people start to treat him like that.

But I guess it fits more with a Peter who is as enthusiastic about doing Superhero stuff as he is and doesn't have to worry about problems as much as other interpretations have. The Parkers don't seem rich but it seems like May makes enough on her own to pay the bills, and Stark money might cover anything else.

apparently Spiderman isnt the beginning of phase 4 he is included in Phase 3 its the same as when Antman is the end of phase 2 allthough it was after Age of Ultron. Im still going to consider Far from Home as the beginning of Phase 4
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/04...u-kevin-feige/

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Should’ve figured it got bumped up to phase 3 once Feige said Marvel wouldn’t announce the phase 4 slate until after FFM was released

BANNED

If Avengers Endgame is "the culmination of the Infinity Saga" then it needs to end Phase 3.

The next Spider-Man is obviously the next thing or whatever.

I guess I'll be curious how much of the overarching MCU ends up playing into Far From Homesince it's a post-Endgame movie and the MCU is supposed to be dramatically different by the end of it.

I mean, it doesn't look that different so far (does Peter come off as somebody who basically died?), but that could just be marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    That is a bit of an exaggeration.

MCU Pete lives in a world where a cooler Elton Musk is arguably the nation's greatest hero (or he's #2).

If somebody took you out of the hood at 16 to another country and exposed you to all this cool stuff, wouldn't you want to sign on?

Now make that recruiter Cooler Elton Musk.

Of course, Pete's deferential he's got a supporter (something the 616 version didn't have 'til way later) and possible patron (which didn't happen in the comics until Civil War).

Even the 616 version of Spider Man sought cash and red thru joining either the FF or the Avengers. If Reed Richards had
    actively sought out young Pete to join the FF he'd of been all to happy to sign on, if a steady paycheck was in it for him.
    i finally watched homecoming last night; can confirm that the stark stuff makes sense and is no bother.
    Last edited by boots; 04-20-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    troo fan or death