Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

the filming can't start fast enough.

I wonder will the regular costume be used-- in this case, "regular" still having various internal gadgets.

So, this is going to be a Miles Morales movie, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    So, this is going to be a Miles Morales movie, right?
    Well, if you ask some people that's what Homecoming was .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, if you ask some people that's what Homecoming was .
    For me was like a weird combination of Miles and the USM cartoon, granted the movie is actually entertaining and the series is... not. But the motivations are pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    For me was like a weird combination of Miles and the USM cartoon, granted the movie is actually entertaining and the series is... not. But the motivations are pretty similar.
    Well, I certainly didn't get the sense that Peter was motivated to fight crime because of his dead uncle...

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Well, I certainly didn't get the sense that Peter was motivated to fight crime because of his dead uncle...
    I'm not even sure Uncle Ben is dead in the MCU...

(And yes, I'm kidding, but they've tried so hard not to cover the guilt angle that they haven't ever specified what happened to Uncle Ben. I believe Peter makes a vague reference that could mean anything if you didn't already know the story...)

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

(And yes, I'm kidding, but they've tried so hard not to cover the guilt angle that they haven't ever specified what happened to Uncle Ben. I believe Peter makes a vague reference that could mean anything if you didn't already know the story...)
    It's because all previous Spider-Man movies relied too heavily on it. Everybody and their grandma knows who Uncle Ben is and what happened to him. They don't need to specify it and waste screen time for no reason.

And who says he's not motivated by it? Did you guys not see the first scene between Tony and Peter in Civil War?

Add that to the fact that Homecoming is the first Spider-Man movie where Spidey actively wants to take down the villain, where in previous movies his actions were reactionary. This time he's taking a proactive stance to a villain who's not connected to him in any way until the last minute. The scene where he decides to go after Vulture instead of Homecoming dance is one of the most character driven moments in all Spider-Man movies. Just how quick his decision was, he placed his phone to track down Toomes, so he had decided even before entering the school. I say that's nailed it on "big powers big responsibility"

Yes, a part of it is to impress Stark and be a better hero. But that's only a part of it. If his only motivation was to impress Stark he wouldn't have gone after Vulture in the end. Saying that all he wants is to impress Stark and Uncle Ben has no significance is a very shallow interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It's because all previous Spider-Man movies relied too heavily on it. Everybody and their grandma knows who Uncle Ben is and what happened to him. They don't need to specify it and waste screen time for no reason.

And who says he's not motivated by it? Did you guys not see the first scene between Tony and Peter in Civil War?

Add that to the fact that Homecoming is the first Spider-Man movie where Spidey actively wants to take down the villain, where in previous movies his actions were reactionary. This time he's taking a proactive stance to a villain who's not connected to him in any way until the last minute. The scene where he decides to go after Vulture instead of Homecoming dance is one of the most character driven moments in all Spider-Man movies. Just how quick his decision was, he placed his phone to track down Toomes, so he had decided even before entering the school. I say that's nailed it on "big powers big responsibility"

Yes, a part of it is to impress Stark and be a better hero. But that's only a part of it. If his only motivation was to impress Stark he wouldn't have gone after Vulture in the end. Saying that all he wants is to impress Stark and Uncle Ben has no significance is a very shallow interpretation.
    I had no problem with then not touching the origin, but i think that at least one mention of Ben would have been enougth and of course is obvious that impressing Stark and be a better hero is only part of his motivation, but the heavy focus on his relation with him, make it difficult to see it in other way, not mentioning that Peter having a mentor/father figure in the superhero side and being a fanboy of the Avengers take a good chunk of the characrher's appeal away. I know that they were trying to be different and not repeat what the previous movies did before and i even aplaud some changes like Toomes (whose new origins actually make him a better contrast for Peter, considering the family values that both characthers posses) and Liz is such a non entity in the big picture of the Spider-mythos than her change of role is pretty inoffensive, but the rest just feel like they are so scared of making the same thing that they are losing the charachter's essence on the way, specially when there are a lot of unexplered avenues that could have been more faithfull (we haven't gotten a Spider-Man movie when he deal with gangwars for example). Also, the whole theme of him "being nothing without the suit" that appears in the second act doesn't make sense when you look at it from any angle.

I enjoyed the movie, i think that Holland is a good Spider-Man, but i simply can't agreed with the direction that they took for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

From the way peter described it to Ganke it seemed to have had more impact on Aunt May then it did him.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I get that Spider-Man's origin and Uncle Ben is engrained in people's mind, and I didn't need to see the origin again (though I still want to know how it happened in this continuity), but I don't think something as integral to Peter should be left completely unsaid or unaddressed in a Spider-Man movie.
    I saw it.

And I think Civil War, in quite a few regards, did better by Spidey then Homecoming did.
    I definitely agree that was one of the more true-to-the-character moment in the film.
    I also agree that Peter's motivation to be a hero went beyond trying to impress Iron Man, but I do think they still over-emphasized the latter element a bit too much.

Especially when it's Tony Stark's voice in his head that comes up for the lifting of the debris scene.

Especially when it's Tony Stark's voice in his head that comes up for the lifting of the debris scene.
    That, I can agree with. That moment and that talk on rooftop when Stark says, "And what if something happens to you, huh? Because that'd be on me. And I don't want that on my conscience."(paraphrasing here) But Peter knows exactly what it feels like to loose someone because of his own actions(or inactions).

Those two were the only time I thought they didn't get Peter in the movie.

Did they start filming this yet?

I expect to see Mc Gargan involved in some capacity, but I don't see him as the main villain just yet.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I also agree that Peter's motivation to be a hero went beyond trying to impress Iron Man, but I do think they still over-emphasized the latter element a bit too much.

You are starting to sound like one of the guys on the crawspace podcast
    By now I think everyone knows Peters origin and I SO thankful we didn’t have to see Uncle Ben die again.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Did they start filming this yet?

I expect to see Mc Gargan involved in some capacity, but I don't see him as the main villain just yet.
    I think we'll probably see Gargan in a Scorpion armor at some point, though maybe not in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    You are starting to sound like one of the guys on the crawspace podcast
    By now I think everyone knows Peters origin and I SO thankful we didn’t have to see Uncle Ben die again.
    Doesn't mean that we don't have a point

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Doesn't mean that we don't have a point
    True, true! I get where y’all are coming from.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!